It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2006, 06:54 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

John_33 HB User
Seemingly never ending sore throat

Hi guys new to the forum...I have a very strange problem and I would be eternally grateful to anyone who could help....(sorry its a bit long)

I am an American citizen, currently in Canada visiting relatives. Ive been here for a week...Nearly a week before coming here I had a complete physical and I was given a clean bill of health..however 3 days before coming here I had a sore throat...11 days later my throat is still sore...

I cant really explain it...its not a regular sore throat...i dont have any other outside symptoms...fever, chillds, runny nose, etc....

The throat itself isnt swollen and I dont have any difficulty swallowing or breathing....My voice isnt raspy either...

Basically I feel mild irritation sometimes which causes me to cough....the cough usually lasts for a few seconds...its worse in the morning and nights....when I go to sleep and wake up....when I wake up I also feel mucus in the back of my throat and when I cough some of it comes out...For the majority of the day I feel no symptoms...When Im outside or exercising...its when Im simply sitting down or laying sideways I start to cough...Ive tried a few cough syrups...none of them really help....

Im in a foreign land with no health coverage...Im really scared and if someone could offer advice I would be very grateful....

Thanks and take care

Last edited by John_33; 07-22-2006 at 07:01 PM.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User
Re: Seemingly never ending sore throat

Hi John
I usually post on the acid refux boards but saw your post here and thought I'd reply.

It sounds very much like you have what I suffer from: LPR, or laryngopharengeal Reflux. You can get a lot of info if you jump over to The Acid Reflux board, but I suggest that you see a gastroenterologist or ear nose throat doctor. They will most likely put you on antacid meds or PPIs which are the standard course of treatment.

I've had the dry hacking cough, worse in morning and evening, but luckily not too bad when I'm asleep. The sore throat that never ends. yes, I know exactly what you are talking about.

Meanwhile, I suggest modifying your diet, gargle with warm salt water (it helps trust me), and eat small meals, and nothing too late at night.
Basically, the fun in life is over

Sorry to share this but it's better to have information than to be wondering what is wrong and think even worse thoughts.
take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
(female)

Sandy Beach HB User
Re: Seemingly never ending sore throat

I agree: sounds like LPRD to me!!

Closed Thread