It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
(female)

marcine26 HB User
2 year old post adenoid surgery

I need a little advice or reassurance that my sons post surgery symptoms are normal and I do not need to worry or bring him to ENT.

He had surgery last thursday (today is monday) to have his adenoids removed. All went well with the surgery and his initial recovery in the recovery room. Starting that night, he started waking up in the middle of the night screaming bloody murder. As the nights went on, he would wake up more and more frequently. Saturday and Sunday night were brutal, every 45 minutes, just screaming....I'd go into his room, he'd be sitting up screaming. I would give him his binky, pat his head and he would go back to sleep until the next scream session. He is fine during the day, but during his 1 nap at daycare, he woke up screaming again, and they could barely get him down, once they did, he slept for a little bit longer. He doesnt talk much so he cannot communicate what is wrong.

He is on amoxacillan (spelling is so wrong) and OTC Tylenol during the day and Tylenol with Codeine as needed for night. I tried both giving and not giving him the tylenol with codeine at night and he woke either way.

Please help with either a similar story or advice.

Thank you
Amy

How long should I give this before I call? Is this normal

Old 08-01-2006, 04:21 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User
Re: 2 year old post adenoid surgery

Well, I don't know much about adenoid removal. But I did just have my tonsils out a few months ago. My best guess about what's going on is that he's probably just in a lot of pain, hence the screaming. Is he talking yet? Can you ask him if it hurts? I only ask because my goddaughter didn't start speaking until she was about 5, so I don't know if your son is talking yet.

Anyway, I'd say if it persists, then do call the doctor. But I do think that it's possible that his screaming coincides with whenever his pain gets really intense. That would make sense to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: 2 year old post adenoid surgery

I wonder if the little guy's distress might not be more psychological than physical. If he is a sensitive type, very apprehensive about new situations, not very receptive to the attention of strangers, he might be reliving the trauma in his dreams. Try doing everything you know how to boost his sense of security, day and night. Extra cuddles and mommy/daddy time will go a long way right now.
Of course, checking with the doctor is always a good idea... just to be sure.

Closed Thread