It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 01:49 PM   #1
(male)

jonnyelworthy HB User
Post Tonsillectomy Diary, Male, 18

Right I am Jonny, Male, from Hampshire in England. I am 18 and consider myself in good physical shape.

I will blog my Tonsillectomy daily updates on here so people can see how I am doing.

My tonsillectomy was meant to be last Friday, but problems at that hospital meant it got delayed until yesterday (Monday 31st) to a different hospital and different surgeon.

Day 1

I arrived at the hospital at 3pm and had the operation at 4.30pm. When I came round in recovery my throat was sore but I could talk and was cracking jokes to the nurse, which I would regret later.
I was wheeled back to my room when I was ok for a few hours but then my throat started to hurt. My nurse gave me some painkillers which were agony to swallow but gave me some welcome relief. After this I found lying down relaxing to be fine and throat was only sore on swallowing. Water was surprisingly hard to swallow though.
I tried to have a sandwich for dinner but after one bite sent it back, I was in a lot of pain but an injection of morphene into my bum sorted that out and tried to get some sleep.

Day 2

I was woken up a few times during the night naturally, or by nurses doing checks on me such as blood pressure, but generally I felt quite good.
Breakfast was a deliciously good looking english cooked breakfast, but sadly I only got a bit of toast, a sausage and a bit of scrambled egg down me before I was in too much pain.
I rested from breakfast until lunch. taking regular painkillers and feeling fine.
I managed to eat all my lunch (soup then ice cream) and was then dispatched home along with a weeks course of anti-biotics, some painkillers and another set of painkillers / anti-inflammatory's, all in liquid form.
Since I have been home I have been absolutely fine. You would not believe it but for dinner I easily managed pork chops, onions, peas, mash and gravy. I have also had two ice creams, jelly and a packet or crisps (prawn cocktail flavour). I am also drinking lots of water.

Anyway so far so good, my throat feels ok and I am just getting into bed to watch some TV.

I know there is a lot worse to come and will keep you all informed on my progress through the recovery period.

All the best!

Jonny

Last edited by jonnyelworthy; 08-06-2006 at 06:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
(male)

jonnyelworthy HB User
Re: Post Tonsillectomy Diary, Male, 18

Day 3

Ok I am getting worried that something is wrong, because there is nothing wrong!?

I was woken up after a good sleep, by my mum this morning who gave me my meds and then I had a breakfast of boiled egg and toast.

Everything felt fine, just a slightly sore throat, and I slept some more until lunch where I comfortably consumed cold chicken, salad and new potatoes. All this with a sore throat but not as bad as when you have tonsiliitus.

Played ps2 most of the day, continued to have my meds, and dinner was steak pie, chips covered in gravy, yummy!

Anyway end of day three and i am fine. I know the worst is to come, just got to make sure I am prepared.

Last edited by jonnyelworthy; 08-02-2006 at 04:07 PM.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:14 AM   #3
(male)

jonnyelworthy HB User

Day 4

Woke up this morning with a bit of an earache and a really dry throat. Hurt for about thirty minutes until the pain meds kicked in then I was ok for the morning. Had Cereal for breakfast and then soup for lunch.

During the afternoon it got a bit more painful, but still managed chinese chicken with roast new potatoes and salad for dinner.

Went to bed early cos felt a bit week and throat was hurting more then usual.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:24 PM   #4
(male)

jonnyelworthy HB User

Day 5

Woke up feeling rough this morning, could not manage breakfast and slept until like 2.

Then I did the best thing which I recommend to everyone after the op.

I got up, showered, got changed and just lived out the day as usual

I found this really helped, and my painkillers went down to one pill not two every time.

I am coping really well, friends came over this evening, had a pizza, and just about managed it!

Find that weekest I feel is morning and nights, but am doing ok, keeping water with me everywhere. Put back going to work until thursday and not monday.

Keep going everyone!

Old 08-05-2006, 05:45 PM   #5
(male)

jonnyelworthy HB User

Day 6

I was woken up this morning by my alarm. I have been home alone for most of yesterday and most of today because all my family were at my grans ashes ceremony.

When I woke up my ears were in agony, my throat was bad but my ears were throbbing. I took my meds and went back to bed.

I seem to be really lucky compared to other people. I have no problem sleeping at all, I am getting long decent sleeps and also I can block out pain quite well that is continuous.

I went back up to bed with my awful ear ache, this was about 9.30am. I got into bed, thought right put this pain out of your head, yes it hurts but I will never get all this throat pain again in a few days.

Next thing I knew it was 2.30pm I had not ear pain and only a mild sore throat! Time to crack on series 2 of 24!

I lounged about most of the day, chatting to people on msn etc.

I did not eat much today, i just never got round to it! but I will catch up on all that tomorrow.

Just taken my pain meds and am about to get into bed. My ears are tingling but nothing painful and my throat just is numb.

Lets hope everyone elses and my recovery keep on going well!

Old 08-06-2006, 04:29 PM   #6
(male)

jonnyelworthy HB User

Day 7

By far my worst day so far

Woke up with killer ear pain and used up my last painkiller so am on paracetemol from now on.

Anyway mornings and evening I seem to get my worst pain, during the day I am ok.

At about 3pm though I got really stressed out about something and experienced severe pain in both my ears which had me on the floor!

It only lasted briefly though as I used oil on cutton buds to rub around in my ear and held that in with cotton wool.

Quite a bit of scabbing came off today so I have some very painful areas in my throat.

I expect more of the same tomorrow!

Old 08-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #7
(male)

jonnyelworthy HB User

Day 8

From worst day to best day, strange how this whole recovery thing works out!

Woke up with the usual sore throat and ear ache, but still managed bacon and scrambled egg.

Watched far too many episodes of 24 before getting out of bed, showering and then dancing round my house all day to my ipod.

For the first time today I also had a look at the back of my throat, I have not wanted to before, but now I am feeling ok, I thought I would give it a go.

The very back of my throat has white stuff over it, but there is next to nothing on the sides, which I am guessing are pretty bad just after the op.

I was absolutely fine today after this mornings pain, and did not get any sort of pain during the day that caused any major discomfort.

Knowing how this all works tomorrow will probably be awful! But fingers crossed that I am now on the mend for good

Good luck to everyone else too, hope this diary is helping some of you out.

Jonny

Old 08-08-2006, 05:02 PM   #8
(male)

jonnyelworthy HB User

Day 9

Great day!

Much less painful sore throat when I woke up, off pain meds as well and not much pain at all throughout the day.

Eating more foods with more ease and hope this is the start of the end

Oh, and had another look at the back of my throat...... Don't

Fingers crossed

Last edited by jonnyelworthy; 08-08-2006 at 05:09 PM.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:16 PM   #9
(male)

jonnyelworthy HB User

Day 10

Felt absolutely fine today!

Little bit of a sore throat and felt a little weak sometimes, but think I am nearly there!

Start work tomorrow

Old 08-11-2006, 01:13 AM   #10
(male)

jonnyelworthy HB User

Day 11

Just got back from first night back at work, throat got bit dry at times, probably cos I was shouting and stuff! but overall I am doing very well indeed!

Old 08-11-2006, 11:58 PM   #11
(female)

tonsilfamily HB User

Excellent to hear you're feeling better!!!!!
I've been following your progress.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:39 AM   #12
(male)

jonnyelworthy HB User

Thankyou very much! Last two days at work have felt bit week but overall, throat is not painful and feel fine!

Thanks again and good luck everyone!

Old 08-14-2006, 03:01 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

This has been helpful to me. I will be going under the knife and whatever they use to punch windows in your sinuses the first week of September. I plan on treating my recovery like a life science experiment and see what works best for me... with comparisons to my sons recovery log. Hope all is back to normal now.
Sincerely, MG

Old 02-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #14
(male)

jonnyelworthy HB User

Right! Year and a half later I think I will give a progress report :-)

Nothing throat related at all until Xmas just gone (So 16 months) when I went down with Strep which antibiotics sorted out.

Got another 'Strep' like throat now but not too sure as back of throat is clear.

Over all best thing I have ever done. You will still get the odd throat infection but nothing like as much as you did before.

Good luck!

Jonny

Closed Thread