It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

rkgrund HB User
Treatment for Patulous Eustachian Tube

I have had PET for the past 6 years and, as a 32 year old musician/singer, I have decided that I CAN'T "just live with it." I also decided that I WON'T have surgery. I took the advice of an herbalist who told me to eliminate dairy and wheat from my diet. . . .within two weeks, the symptoms of PET were GONE! Through my elimination diet, I discovered that I am GLUTEN INTOLERANT (I do not eat anything made from wheat) and, for the past year, have had very little problems with PET. Now that it's summer, I think that low pressure systems have caused my sypmtoms to return, but it's not everyday all day anymore. (By the way, is there any truth to low pressure systems and ear problems????)

Is there ANY research that proves this theory? Are there any studies that would be interested in this? I am confident that this is working for me and I would be very curious to see if it would work for anyone else who is suffering from PET.

Is there ANYONE out there who agrees? Who is curious? Who is willing to start a discussion? ANYTHING?? I can't find anything within the last year that talks about PET. Is there ANY current research?

HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2006, 02:56 PM   #2
(male)

SelectMike HB User
Re: Treatment for Patulous Eustachian Tube

I desperately need help here too. In the Summer, my condition is much worse affecting both ears for the majority of the day. It is impossible to rest as I feel constantly displaced, and occasionally it can be frightening as a turmoil is created in my head.

I would be very interested in the effects of weather pressure systems on this complaint, and I would be grateful if anyone has any strategy to cope with the Summer's exacerbation of the problem. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
(male)

SelectMike HB User

I have been told some time ago to try a diet for Candida. The advice was wrong as it involved eliminating all bread and replacing with rice cakes. The result was terrible - stomach cramps all night, and piles, so clearly I was suffering from a lack of fibre. If I eliminate gluten/wheat etc, what kind of bread should I eat as bread seems important to me?

I know of a technique called cranial osteopathy which in my case affords a temporary relief from pressure. You put your index fingers in your ears, your thumbs at the side of your temple, and the rest of your fingers round the back of your head. Then you press your index fingers down and up alternately in your ears, and this allows some air in to the eustachian tube which helps the tension for a short while. It might work longer for someone else, so it is worth trying.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
(female)

rkgrund HB User

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with the Candida diet. It's not just eliminating bread and replacing with rice cakes. To achieve gluten free living you eliminate anything that is made from wheat: pasta, bread, baked goods, some soy sauces, etc. There are MANY products that have wheat so you have to get into reading labels. BUT, there are many products that we CAN eat: pastas and breads made from rice, quinoa, spelt, for example. If you look into the gluten-free diet for Celiac patients, you might find some interesting things there. Of course, fresh vegetables, fruits, protein (from meat or other sources) are highly recommended, as well There are gluten-free bakeries in the US, now, and I've just found my new favorite product line for brownies, chocolate cake, muffins, pancakes and waffles. The company is called "Namaste" and you can find it online.

Thank you for YOUR advice on cranial osteopathy. . . . I'll try it. Although, I usually just bend over and touch my toes. When it gets really bad I lay down for awhile, eat, or have a glass of wine. I'm anxious for the cooler weather of fall and winter to see if THAT makes any difference. Keep me posted on your progress.

Have YOU found and new research?

Last edited by rkgrund; 08-16-2006 at 09:27 AM.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:28 PM   #5
(male)

HairyDog HB User

very interesting post. Thanks.

I tried the wheat free diet for a good number of weeks and noticed no improvement. I only avoid milky based foods now such as - pizza, ice-cream and chocolate, etc. I guess I have not been strict enough to eliminate the ingredient 100% Maybe I should..

With regard to ear problems being related to low pressure systems, my trouble started as soon as I returned from Hawaii. I read somewhere that many people over there have this problem.

Last edited by HairyDog; 08-22-2006 at 01:29 PM.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
(male)

SelectMike HB User

A bit of history first regarding what I have tried:

The following put into the external ear may also benefit the middle ear and eustachian tube - olive oil, almond oil, wheat germ oil, garlic, and drops obtained from plantain (make sure edible variety)

Eating honey can feed the ear. Vitamin B Complex with a megadose of B3, Nicotinamide can reduce the worst symptoms. A naturopath must advise you on this since megadoses shouldn't go longer than 2 weeks.

Some have reported benefit by lying down and raising their feet 20 inches onto a chair.

As regards further research into the effects of low pressure systems, I am thinking of a Science forum for the answer here. It may yield more than a medical forum on this one.

Closed Thread