It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
(female)

Shadows_Eve HB User
Blocked Eustachian tube, won't unblock...help

Hi all

Last Wednesday, I noticed that my right ear was doing something odd. If I talked, or blinked hard or somesuch, a weird vibrating buzz would happen in my ear...like a muscle spasm, it seemed.

I tried to ignore it, though it was very frequent. On Thursday is started to hurt, so we went into the doctor...who told me it was likely just negative pressure caused by a blocked eustachian tube from nasal congestion (which I had been sneezing & having a nasal drip).

Anyway, all the doctor said was to take decongestants or plug my nose and mouth and blow.

I've been diligently trying to unblock this stupid tube since Thursday and nothing's happening. I've been yawning, blowing, chewing gum, etc, etc and nothing is working.

I feel at a loss, and the "vibrating" in my ear every 10 seconds is driving me up the wall...

Any recommendations??

Old 08-21-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Blocked Eustachian tube, won't unblock...help

Saline nasal spray. It is becoming my moto. You need to thin out your sinus mucus to reduce the pressure. Try taking hot showers, steaming your sinuses, using saline nasal sprays a few times each day... and if you are not taking a steriodal nasal spray like flonase or nasonex... you can use afrin temporarily. Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
(male)

HairyDog HB User

since you've only had it a short while, I agree that steam (NOT VIC) in bowl with towel over head - keep filling kettle and do it five times, is your best option. Oh and snorting warm salt water with baking soda from a mug over the sink with your head right back trying not to swallow.

I have had this trouble for three years now and everyday I am trying to get rid of it. I have tried the saline, steroid nasal sprays, chinese herbs and acupuncture, ear candles, a gluten/wheat/ milk free diet, saunas..

The ENT surgeon told me to live with it. I am on the waiting list for allergy testing and I am also considering seeing a chiropractor.

Last edited by HairyDog; 08-22-2006 at 11:40 AM.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

First: HairyDog, if my ENT told me to live with it... he would see my backside as I walked out the door never to return. A good doctor wants to fix your problems, and thus should not blow you off. I hope the allergist can help you.... if not ask for a recommendation to a different ENT (preferrably the best in your area). Which ENT do others call when they have a problem, this can be telling. My ENT was recommended by 6 different independent doctors, he has been wonderful.
Snorting saline water is a good suggestion; however, I have an easy gag reflex and would vomit if I did such a thing. So Shadows_Eve do what works best for you, I have to use the saline spray and it still will make me gag on occasion. I ment to ask, did the doctor put you on an antihistamine in addition to the decongestant? If not you might want to try an over the counter antihistamine like Benadryl or Claritin(sp). Make sure to try a pure antihistamine, not an antihistamine/decongestant combination.
SIncerely,
MG

Old 08-23-2006, 09:32 AM   #5
(male)

HairyDog HB User

Well the ENT I saw here in the UK was on the NHS (Meaning I didn't have to pay for the treatment). He removed some abnormal adenoid tissue, did all the usual tests and I understood him when he explained that it was "beyond their means" - the know how in medical science is not there yet. He explained such operations have proven to make it worse, given that my symptoms are only mild compared to other problems that can occur in the ear, its not worth the risk. So in all fairness, being referred to allergy testing is the only way from here.

ETD is a very common complaint and not enough is known about how to cure it. I hope that people who have over come the condition will post their advice on the internet.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
(female)

crazyladi99 HB User

i have had the same vibrating problem with my ear now for 15 yrs. Now the blockage is so bad its driving me to the looney bin. I am going to an ENT sept 13th i will tell you what she says.

Closed Thread