It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
(female)

doa360x HB User
Exclamation Sharp pain on one side when I swallow.. very scared. HELP!

I'm a college student and, I'll admit it, I'm a social drinker. I'm not in any way dependent on alcohol, but on weekends I do drink with my friends. Last year I came down with some sort of virus and had a soar throat for an entire semester. Then summer came and it went away. Now I'm back at school and, after a few days, this sharp pain in my throat is back. It hurts when I swallow and sometimes when I speak and it only hurts on one side.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I know that college is basically one giant disease and it's so easy to catch anything due to living in such close quarters. But could it be alcohol related?? If so, is it serious? Keep in mind I'm pretty paranoid in general and I fear death and disease, so I might be making a huge deal out of nothing. However, I'm very scared.

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Sharp pain on one side when I swallow.. very scared. HELP!

Were you ever tested for mono? It is most commonly transmitted by drinking after someone and runs rampant in college water fountains. Mononucleosis can last and reoccur up to eighteen months after being contracted. It can be mild for some, or bad enough to hospitalize you. My fiance gave me mono, 12 months after he had contracted it himself... it took me 3 months to feel normal and I had flare ups for the next 18 months. Just a thought and worth getting checked out.
Sincerely, MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2006, 12:40 AM   #3
(female)

LorieR HB User

It could also be a peritonsillar abscess... its hard to say. Have you looked at your throat in the mirror? What does it look like in there? I would get to a dr asap or urgent care.. it could just be a bacterial infection or it could be your wisdom tooth/teeth acting up (if you still have them).

Lorie

Old 08-25-2006, 07:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

doa360x,
No matter what you have, you need to see a doctor. Go to your general practicioner, or the college clinic.. get tested for mono and get a referral to the best ENT around. If mono, great (nasty but once you have had it your done... with no more worries), if not the ENT should be able to determine your problem and help you fix it. Good luck.
Sincerely,
MG

Old 10-04-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
(female)

ktnay1 HB User
Smile Re: Sharp pain on one side when I swallow.. very scared. HELP!

Have you been to an allergist or ent? Been tested for allergies, such as mold spores or the like. If you are living in a dorm like situation, there could be some mold or mildew that has built up over the years (even with cleaning) that might be causing you an allergy that has/is irritating your throat from drainage down your throat that you are not really aware of when it happens ,but is irritating the CRAP out of your throat. I'm just guessing I'm not a doctor or anything, I just had a similar problem that caused me to be hoarse for over a year at my job that mysteriously got alot better after I left that job (I have very bad allergies to molds and dust mites and asthma to complicate the problem) Don't take my suggestion as complete solution but it is at least something to consider, if your dr doesnt have any other suggestions.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktnay1,

Good point about the dorm affecting allergies, I had to break my contract because my allergic response to my dorm suites was so bad... back in the day. The physical plant which is over dorm maintanence tends to be poor in the service department at best. They do not routinely change the air filters, nor do they clean things well or properly. What drove me to get a hearing and break my contract was a rat died in the ventilation duct and they refused to ,do anything about it on top of the constant state of sinus and throat irritation due to mold and dust... talk about a horrid place to live. I lasted 2 months and then I was in an apartment. It just took my MD's saying that living in the dorm was detremental(sp) to my health. Allergies are a big possibility.

Sincerely, MG

Closed Thread