It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
(male)

jsharp29 HB User
Post-nasal drip...no congestion?

Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to have post-nasal drip without congestion.

For the last month I've had this sensation of mucus dripping down the right side of my throat. It seems to pool at the bottom and of my throat and I have the constant need to clear it. I seem to get a little hoarseness from time to time as well. This doesn't seem to get worse when I lay down either.
I can breathe just fine also.

Anybody ever experience this or heard of anyone?
Thanks.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User
Re: Post-nasal drip...no congestion?

Chronic throat clearing/coughing + relief when laying down + sinusitis like-dripping feelings are symptoms classic symptoms of laryngopharyngeal reflux. Although it might not be immediate apparent to you, the real key markers here are the chronic throat clearing and the relief when lying down. These 2 things are not classic symptoms of regular sinusitis.

This kind of reflux (abbreviated LPR) occurs when acid refluxes all the way up your esophogous, instead of remaining in the lower esophogous. The acid mixes with your mucous once it gets into your throat, and spreads around your sinuses causing sinusitis-like symptoms. The throat clearing is actually more from the acid (pH 2) coming in contact with your larynx, which has no natural protection against it. When it comes in contact, you are compelled to clear it off with throat clearing or coughing. Not fun. Unlike it's counterpart GERD, LPR patients feel better when they lie down. People with GERD (heartburn) have their worst symptoms at night.

For treatment, you need 2 doses of a Proton Pump Inhibitor every day, and you need to see an ENT. An ENT will "scope you" (look at your larynx with a thin metal tube and camera). If your larynx is red and swollen, you've got LPR. You can start PPI therapy without the scope, but at least the scoping confirms what you've got.

PPIs are sold under the names Nexium, Prevacid, Prilosec, Aciphex, Zegerid and Protonix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
(male)

HairyDog HB User

Try eating raw garlic as that works wonders when there is a post nasal drip, especially.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
(female)

GABIVOSS HB User

I have these symptoms and have been on a ppi for months. Could a ppi be causing this? I am on protonix. it feels like my throat is closing. I am trying saline. Someday i guess i will give in and use a decongestion (sp)/ antihistimine (sp). I am just woried to mix meds.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:50 PM   #5
(female)

tissie1 HB User

I am afraid to eat garlic or pills and other things because I am afraid it will flare up my acid reflux.

Closed Thread