It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
(female)

Jezahb HB User
Suggestions for food after Tonsillectomy?

As far a food goes this is day 4 for me, and all I have eaten up until now is Cream of Wheat, Mashed potatoes, Ensure, Jello and Gtorade. I threw up the cream of wheat, and now I cant stand thinking of eating it....or other mushy sweet crap....any other suggestions? I really feel like toast but my b/f says that is too scratchy still....is he right?

Old 09-02-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
(female)

alwaysdizzy HB User
Re: Suggestions for food after Tonsillectomy?

How about scrambled eggs? Or french toast? My son had it with a little butter and powdered sugar....syrup too thick and sweet for him. Or you could just have it with butter.... Or softly toasted frozen waffles? Also he ate those Arnold or Pepperidge Farm sandwich rolls lightly toasted with butter..they were "toasty" but still soft and not scratchy..
My sons doctor said no toast but then I have read others who say they were told to eat it....so who knows? And I would think if you chew it up really well it would be soft before going down.....you would just have to be careful.

Also how about pastina? Or egg noodles? Or soup?

Hope something sounds good to you!
Good luck on your recovery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2006, 06:32 AM   #3
(male)

SDKing HB User

I would stay away from toast. Toast my doctor said (even if chewed up) is a hard food (maybe the toast bits) that could cause some of your scabs to come off prematurely before healing completely.

Children maybe told to eat it because for them scabs can come off faster than they can for us adults. I had some bleeding issues and it was attributed to me eating saltines to settle my stomach. I didn't realize that the eating of saltines (even if I chewed it to mush) had bits that essentially scraped off a few scabs.

So if you do, just be EXTRA careful.

Did you throw up because of nausea? I had that happened and it was because of the painkillers.

I have been eating w/o many issues: soups (preferably clear w/o a lot of stuff to chew like chicken soups), scrambled eggs, easy mac, and wet rice.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:01 PM   #4
(male)

Metatheory HB User

i'm finishing day 10 and can still only do non-tomato based soups and macaroni and cheese. sounds weird but i was able to have a few kernels of popcorn at the movie theatre today with no real problem, but stopped because i didn't want to push my luck. i also tried chocolate ice cream today and it burned and stung my throat so bad i wanted to curl in the fetal position and cry. i'd advise against it

Old 09-05-2006, 06:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

My sons favorite through the worst of his reccovery.
1) crust free peanut butter sandwich
2) apple sauce and honey gram sticks
3) protien shake mix fortified, milk shakes and low acid fruit smoothies.
4) french fries and tater tots.... NO KETCHUP. The vinager/tomato product burnt his throat severly.
5) soft potato rolls and water to quell nausia.
After day 10 he was back to meatballs, chicken tenders, and whatever else he could scrounge up...
Good luck.
MG

Old 09-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #6
(male)

kursndax HB User

I posted in another post about my eating, I am on day 13 and I can't eat anything cause it makes me sick and makes me wanna throw it up

Only things I can stand are sweet things and vegetables. Anything spicey or hot kills my tongue cause it seems super sensative and meats going down my throat taste awfull

I can't even stand eggs

is this normal for me or should I be eating normal by now. I am going to let the doctor know that I hadn't been eating and eating makes me sick tomorrow.

I still have some of that white stuff on my tongue, mostly towards the back, could that still be what makes the food taste bad?

Old 09-05-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
(male)

SDKing HB User

kursndax, are you on painkillers still? And if so how often are you taking that? I found once I eased myself off the painkillers the nausea went away. I also got a prescription for antinausea meds to help me in that transition.

You shouldn't be eating spicy that is REALLY bad for your throat...so stay away from the taco sauce bud. Think soothing and passive for your throat...don't go all nutty and scarf down foods that will either upset your stomach or your tonsils.

Not sure about the tongue thing, but I can taste food now on day 12. I did have a fries yesterday and the salt didn't irritate my throat like i thought it would. I am not sure but maybe the codiene is messing up your taste buds too?

Hope that helps...ok i am going to try this burrito...wish me luck man.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:07 PM   #8
(female)

jogo HB User

Jezahb, I was able to eat musy mac and cheese the other day and it was divine. Other than that I've been eating mashed potatoes, sherbet, pudding, etc. I tried egg noodles tonight, but I think they were still too tough because it hurt eating them.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #9
(male)

kursndax HB User

Well I stopped taking my painkillers around the 10th day, But I have no anti nausea med. I have a generic brand my mom got me that goes up the butt, but I tried it and it sucks.

I tried to eat a hotdog today and got almost thru it to where I was almost about to be sick. But the salad with sweet russian dressing was not bad. Mostly its swallowing the foods is to where I get sick, could it be from not eating much and my throat not used to it?

Old 09-05-2006, 09:57 PM   #10
(male)

SDKing HB User

kursndax, huh. I am not sure. When you say sick. Is it a gag reflex? Like trying to take too large a pill? I am curious because I don't have a uvula anymore and I wonder if it is uvula related. I will say my stiching from my uvulectomy is a bit loose and I have a dangly pit that hits the back of my throat on occasion and that sucks...feels weird and such.

And yes the kind that goes up your butt sucks. The doctor said "I can give you a choice, one that you can swallow and one that goes up the butt, but the one that goes up the butt hurts like hell so that is why you probably won't be nauseaus. You'll be thinking about your butt and not your stomach." And with that I took the prescription pills...

On a side note, I don't classify a hotdog as food. Just stay away from carrots as I said before...and try giving Mashed Potatoes and Easy Mac a try. I like Easy Mac because the portions are relatively small and easy to make...just add water! But my tip is don't follow the instructions and do 2/3 cup, go with 3/4 cup instead...never seems like there is enough water to make the cheese sauce. Kraft didn't pay me but easy mac is sooo simple. Add water, nuke 3-4 minutes...add powdered sauce...and voila!! A meal in minutes.

Interesting thing I have noticed (and if ANYONE can confirm please do) but everytime I eat I notice I have less scabs. Its like eating removes some of the scabs...is this a bad thing? I am assuming at Day 12 its ok...but what has everyone else noticed?

Closed Thread