It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
(female)

jogo HB User
Question So, what's your throat supposed to look like after a tonsillectomy?

I just took a good look at mine, and I'm not sure if I should be worried. I think it's normal?

I haven't had my post op visit yet, and my dr is on vacation this week. So, I'm stuck wondering for another week if it's normal looking.

So, as weird as this sounds and as gross as it is, if some of you could describe to me what yours look like that would be awesome. Thanks!

Last edited by jogo; 09-04-2006 at 07:38 PM. Reason: because I can't spell "tonsillectomy." :)

Old 09-04-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
(female)

LorieR HB User
Re: So, what's your throat supposed to look like after a tonstillectomy?

Right after surgery - black

Next day and the next 2-4 days - Blue Cheese is the best way for me to describe it... nasty.. white blackish blueish. It scared me at first... looked like some scary infection.

Days 6-8 for me were mostly white (scabs) with a little black here and there.

Days 9-14 for me were mostly pink any white b/c the scabs started to fall off.

Im on day 19 and I still have a tiny bit of scabs left, but its mostly pink which means Im almost healed! Yey!

Hope that helps - Im sure it depends on what method your dr used too..

Lorie

Last edited by LorieR; 09-04-2006 at 06:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
(female)

jogo HB User

Ok, whew! Tomorrow will mark one week since my surgery, and they are huge white patches, and they're starting to get pink around the outer edges.

My concern was my right side - it's the only side that's been sore, and I was looking in there and it looks a little black from what I can see. It's hard to get a good look because my tongue is still swollen. But it seemed like the source of the pain was black, and I didn't know if that was normal and if I should be concerned or not.

Thanks!

Old 09-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

That increased pain may be due to the scab beginning to peel. Just keep the area moist and know it will be over in a few days.
MG

Old 09-05-2006, 08:01 AM   #5
(female)

jogo HB User

well, after waking up at 5am in the worst pain, i'm officially freaking out. it was by far the worst so far.

i looked this morning, and now there is clearly a pocket of blood where my tonsils used to be. it actually looks like fresh blood is just sitting there, but it's not moving at all. i'm scared to drink or eat for fear it will pop or something!

what should i do? i'm freaking out, and my dr is on vacation.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #6
(male)

kursndax HB User

well I am on day 13 and my throat seems to be ok, I still have white scabs on one side and on the uvula.

One thing I would say is drink, cause the day before I officially became hydrated and I almost fainted the whole day, I was really dizzy, light headed and my vision was blurry out like I was going blind, and I couldn't pee, so make sure you keep drinking

I also hadn't been eating since, I nibble on a few things here and there but it scares me I can't eat. When I try anything thats meat it makes me sick and almost throw up and it still taste awfull

Only things that I seem to stand is carrots and salads, anything else like hambugers and hotdogs going down my throat makes me sick to my stomach

anyone else having this also? Anyone heard how long after before your back to normal and eating foods? I dunno if something is wrong with me or what but I know I should be eating something.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #7
(male)

SDKing HB User

jogo, what LorieR described is pretty much it. I hope you are ok. But in the event you want more information. RESIST the temptation to poke or prod the blood...leave it alone ,as it probably will disappear in about 4 hours. Do not gargle water to clear it up unless you are SURE it is bleeding...then they say Ice Water for about 10 minutes should stop the bleeding. drink as normal, but maybe hold off eating right now ... You need to keep hyrdated, trust me the worse thing you can do to yourself is get dehydrated. My doctor said the body can survive off our fat stores for a week, but we can't survive 48 hours without water...not to mention the more dehydrated you are the worse the pain will be in your tonsilor area.

kursndax, careful of carrots. My doctor said those were on my list of do not eats, because they are considered a hard food that could damage the tonsilor bed...so i would suggest staying with softish foods. I started to eat regular food last night (i am day 12) and I was keeping it simple. Have you seen the other threads on what to eat?

Today I am going to try what LorieR did last week and eat a bean and cheese burrito. Wish me luck.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
(female)

jogo HB User

sdking, thanks. I'm ok. i actually ended up getting a hold of my doctor (who is NOT on vacation like the nurse said he would be), and he was kind of a jerk! I explained to him what i saw was definitely blood, but i wasn't spitting it out or tasting it. he said since nothing was actually bleeding it was probably just a new scab forming and to continue to eat soft foods.

it really burned earlier when i ate some sherbet, but the pain has subsided a little. still not fun, though!

Old 09-05-2006, 10:13 PM   #9
(male)

SDKing HB User

Oh yeah, and read the notes others have posted...I knew not to eat citrus, but never would have guessed that Tomato soup would be so acidic. Good thing I read someone's caution about that.

Sorry your doctor is a jerk. Mine was kind of jerky too when I called. Basically what he said was, can you taste blood? can you spit up blood (not by clearing throat but as in its all over your mouth)? any dark blood is ok, that is normally dried or old blood.

You have to worry about BRIGHT RED blood. That is the stuff that is FRESH. Ok, now I grossed myself out...

Closed Thread