It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
(female)

Enoughwithit HB User
Cold before tonsillectomy

Hey everyone...

I'm scheduled for a tonsillectomy on September 11, in the morning.

However, last Friday, I began a cold (congested nose and deep coughing). Right now, although I'm still coughing a little and blowing my nose a little, I feel much, much better.

I was just curious to know if they could refuse to operate if my nose is still running a little and if I'm still coughing a bit ?

I trust I'll be ok by then (still have 6 days to go, I've had it since Friday and colds usually run for 7 days...) but I was just wondering...

Thanks in advance for your input

Old 09-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #2
(female)

jogo HB User
Re: Cold before tonsillectomy

I doubt it unless you're running a fever, but I'm not a doctor. I would wait until Friday and see how you're feeling, and call your dr then if you're unsure. You might be all better by then, and that's enough notice to cancel if your doctor won't operate.

I know before I went in the anesthesiologist was asking me a million questions about if I'd had a cough or cold recently, but I assume that was for breathing purposes during surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2006, 06:03 PM   #3
(female)

Enoughwithit HB User

Thanks

I hope it's only for breathing purposes. Already tonight, I'm coughing a lot less. I suppose I will be all well come Friday

I don't want to push back that surgery. Been waiting for it for too long.

I will try to get some info on that. I have my blood tests tomorrow morning. Might ask the nurse.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I asked my ENT about colds and viruses and the effect they could have on surgery, because I live with my 3 year old son... who has been known to act the part of the viral bomb... anyway my doctor said the only true concerns are a strep based viral infection (strep throat) or a bacterial infection. In the case of a bacterial sinus infection it can still be preformed. I am guessing they wash out the infection site before performing the procedure, but strep was considered a no go case. Since nothing was said about colds... I would assume you are good to go.
Respectfully yours,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 09-05-2006 at 06:53 PM.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
(male)

SDKing HB User

I can tell you if I had a cold on top of this tonsillectomy...with a runny nose and coughing I would just die...so that being said. Think long and hard if you want to have a cold or risk a relapse into a cold while feeling the way you see all of us feeling.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:24 AM   #6
(female)

Enoughwithit HB User

Well I think I will wait two more days to see how it goes and decide then what to do. I have to notify my boss too if I'm going through or not because they're having someone there for 2 weeks to replace me.

The cough has almost gone and now, I'm just blowing my nose. I bought supposotories last night (I know... Eeeeeeeeeewwww !) but it worked wonders. I'm using Benylin E which is making me spit out a lot of the bad stuff.

I should be fine

I guess I could ask the nurse today when I go for my blood tests.

I'll let you guys know. Thanks

Old 09-06-2006, 05:07 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

I ended up cancelling a trip to Las Vegas the weekend before my surgery because the last time I went, I came home with bronchitis. It was actually a business trip for a really big meeting. I was depressed that I had to miss it, but I was determined NOT to be sick, going into the surgery.

I don't know the implications, but I personally didn't want to go into the surgery already being weakened by any illness. So I took every precaution to not get sick beforehand. However, my ENT told me beforehand that if I should get sick, I need to call them for some antibiotics to get as well as possible before the surgery.

So after all of the work I went through to keep myself well, it was my ENT who called in sick on the day of my surgery, and I had to wait until the following Monday to get it done. I was pretty ****** off. Especially since when I saw him on Monday before my surgery, he was literally an hour and 45 minutes late to the hospital, and when I asked him how he was feeling, he blew it off. It made me think that he just called in sick for the hell of it and not because he was really sick. But whatever. It's over and I'm fine now, so I try not to dwell on it.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #8
(female)

Enoughwithit HB User

Well tonight, I'm almost not coughing anymore and just blowing my nose. Went for my blood tests this morning and the nurse told me if it didn't get better by Friday, to call the hospital. They're just worried about fevers. But I wasn't feverish at all throughout this entire cold. Anyways, I have 5 days left to get better I'm almost 85% back to my old self now so everything should be fine. I don't mind blowing my nose, it's the coughing I was worried about.

So everything should be fine and it's still a go for next Monday

People ask me if I'm scared. I wouldn't say I'm scared... just not looking forward to hurting... lol I'm anxious for all this to be over but I know it'll go well...

Just sucks cuz I'm part of the social committee at work and we're having a BBQ on the 15th and I'm the one planning it all... Everyone's like: Well, you'll be able to come for sure... And I'm like: Well if I can't talk and can't eat, what do you want me be there for ?!?!? lol

Anyways, I find it funny but I'm sad I'll miss it. My health comes first. And maybe now, with my tonsils gone, I will stop getting sick all the time because I'm too weakened by them...

It can only get better from here

Last edited by Enoughwithit; 09-06-2006 at 04:31 PM.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:36 PM   #9
(male)

SDKing HB User

I bet on the day of your BBQ you won't want to be there. That is only 4 days after the surgery...

Old 09-07-2006, 08:30 AM   #10
(female)

Enoughwithit HB User

SDKing, nah, I doubt very much that I will want to be there anyways... I know, by reading all of your comments, that I will be feeling like sh** lol

I think I'll stick to my soft foods and water lol

This morning, no more coughing but blowing my nose a lot. I guess it really wants to come out I was worried more about the coughing. But that's gone so I'm glad. Still drinking a lot of water to get it out as fast as possible.

4 days to go... !

Old 09-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

If you want to speed the nasal congestion removal, take a decongestant with an expectorant... like Robutusson with guafenason(sp)... I believe this is a DM formulation. You can also use an over the counter steriodal spray like Afrin... call and see if it is alright by your MD's standards... it was by mine. Then use saline nasal spray to loosen and dilute the mucus for easy drainage.
Good luck and Best Wishes on Your Surgery!
MG

Old 09-09-2006, 07:13 AM   #12
(female)

Enoughwithit HB User

Good morning all !

Just wanted to let you know that I got rid of the cough and most of the nose leaking lol I will be all set for Monday morning.

The hospital called yesterday to push back my admission time to 9h30 instead of 6h30. My mom was happy since she is working until 9 that day and wasn't looking forward to waking up at 5h30 to drive me lol One of my best friends is relaying my mom before she goes to work. She got the same surgery 2 years ago so she will be able to take care of me

All is set ! I'm getting a bit nervous not because of the surgery itself but only because I know that I will be hurting... You never look forward to these things lol But thanks to all you guys, I go into this head first, knowing what to expect... I promise I will keep you up to date as soon as I can get my butt off the couch ! lol

Thanks again

Last edited by Enoughwithit; 09-09-2006 at 07:15 AM.

Closed Thread