It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2006, 11:47 PM   #1
(female)

Rachamar HB User
Tonsillectomy nausea CURED!!

I wrote yesterday complaining of horrible nausea 8 days post-tonsillectomy. Today my doctor gave me the greatest med EVER for nausea...Phenergan ointment. It comes in a plastic syringe (no needle) and you simply squirt a small amount of the ointment onto the inside of your wrists and rub it in. This works wonders and doesn't require swallowing and causing additional pain to your throat. Keep this in mind post-op for all of you awaiting your surgery!!! I'm a NEW person today feeling GREAT! However, I know the de-scabbing is yet to come...

Old 09-06-2006, 04:02 AM   #2
(female)

nela919 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy nausea CURED!!

My dgt is 23 and is sched for T&A next week. She is a college student, do you think she will be able to concentrate on studying post-op?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2006, 05:11 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

After my experience with recovery, there is No Way that your daughter will be able to concentrate on studying after the surgery. Have you read all of the other posts from people who have had this surgery? It's the most painful recovery you can possibly have as an adult, and she's going to be in way too much pain to even care about studying.

I highly suggest you read the post called "Tonsillectomy Guide for Friends and Family" to help you understand what she's about to go through. What she will need is for someone to be understanding and helpful to her. But if you start hassling her about studying when she is at the height of her pain, you're just going to make everything worse.

And anyway, who cares about studying when she has more important things to worry about with her recovery, such as having to wait at least 15 days post-op to make sure there is no serious hemmoraging? I'd say that's way more important than any kind of studying.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

nela919,

I have taught at three different colleges, a good professor will work with your daughter. Hopefully, she will be able to keep up with some reading and the work in some of her easier classes, but in the case of a major surgery she should be able to take an incomplete or two if she gets behind. It would also be a good idea to ask the professor if you can tape the lectures, be it with a video camera or audio recorder. Ask the teacher if they can recommend a study buddy for the class as well that wouldn't mind sharing notes and discussing the lectures. There are many things that can be done including getting a graduate student tutor as an aide.

Don't stress because your daughter will feed off of that and worry too... Have your daughter talk to the teachers and feel them out. Many professors will work with you if they know you are trying your best and had to take advantage of an inconvenient surgery date. If they are going to be hard nosed.. drop the class and wait until later to take it.

Have her take a minimum full load or half time load this term and work closely with her professors. There is always the route of a medical withdrawl if needed, surgery is a valid excuse. BUT above all else let your daughter rest and recover. She will feel like a new woman after her recovery.

Best wishes on the up coming surgery date.
Respectfully Yours, MG

Old 09-06-2006, 08:12 AM   #5
(male)

SDKing HB User

nela919, what everyone said is pretty true. However, on the bright side this will really only impact her for about 21 days at the worse. I am on day 13 and while I didn't have my adnoids removed I did have my uvula removed, septaplasty (deviated septum repaired) and inferior turbinates reduced, which equates to bonus surgery in the nose too. I was back at work on Day 12 and able to concentrate pretty ok. Maybe I am a unique case, but I don't see why she won't be able to go back to school by week 2 of the surgery...

So if her professors allow her to miss 2 weeks (standard semesters in college if I recollect are 15 week terms or 10 weeks if on the quarter system) she should be ok. Not to mention she'll have the syllabus for the school so when she feels like reading she'll be able to catch up.

But I agree with everyone, there will be days when she'll feel a lot better, and days when you will find her curled up like a ball...nauseaus and in pain. read the guide...so you know what to do in preparation for her recovery...it will be a HUGE help for her.

Closed Thread