It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 09:46 AM   #1
(female)

Andrewsgirl724 HB User
Problems after Tonsillectomy/Adenoidectomy/Uvula Removal

Hi, my name is Amanda and I am 19 years old. I had a tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy/uvula removal(was not supposed to happen), in July 2005 due to chronic tonsillitis, and my tonsils being so swollen that they touched. I was 18 at the time. The ENT who did my surgery came out afterward and told my mom that he had to do "extra surgery" and of course she was like WHAT?!. Anyway, he said he had to "trim" my uvula, (which I later found out that it was cut completely away...I don't have it now), because he said it swelled up and blocked my throat. Now, since this surgery I have been having post nasal drip everyday and trouble swallowing when I drink something (I will choke if I am not careful...it is like it has a hard time going to the right tube). I have been to another ENT (not the one who did the surgery because I don't trust him or like him), and he said that the ENT who did the surgery probably accidently cut my uvula and that caused it to swell...of course I don't have proof of that. Every doctor/nurse who has seen my throat is like "WOW they really took out everything". The recovery was extremely hard and instead of lasting 2 weeks like the ENT said, it lasted 2 months. Anyway, my question is has anybody else had these problems (post nasal drip, trouble swallowing correctly) even a year after this surgery? Thank you.

Amanda

The following user gives a hug of support to Andrewsgirl724:
STEL (03-28-2011)
Old 09-15-2006, 10:38 AM   #2
(male)

SDKing HB User
Re: Problems after Tonsillectomy/Adenoidectomy/Uvula Removal

Andrewsgirl724, hi there. I had a tonsillectomy and uvulectomy as well (among other items). That is strange you would be having problems swallowing a year later... Your uvula really isn't a necessary item, as I have been told by a few doctors, but it does help "push food" down your throat.

I have been told that without a uvula you have to re-learn how to swallow and sodas are problematic at first...but I have found that it was not that bad after a while.

As far as the Post nasal drip, I have noticed that too...not sure if the uvula was like a gutter that the drip just rolled down and fell further down your throat...

The question I am curious about is do you suffer from Sleep Apnea? Or did you? Did you stop breathing a lot while sleeping?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
(female)

Andrewsgirl724 HB User

Hi, no, I don't think I have sleep apnea. The reason I got my tonsils/adenoids removed was because I was having chronic tonsillitis so much and so bad that my tonsils touched. The doctor who did the surgery said that he had to perform an emergency "trimming"--which actually turned out to be a complete removal--of my uvula during the surgery because it swelled...and the new ENT I am going to thinks he actually slipped and cut my uvula and that caused it to swell. I know that this post nasal drip started right after my surgery though, and it hasn't stopped since. I am going back to my new ENT (not the one who did my surgery because I don't trust him anymore), Wednesday so hopefully I can find something out. Well, thank you for replying.

Amanda

Old 10-09-2006, 12:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Andrewsgirl724,
My ENT wanted me to have the UPPP done, but after a little research I refused that portion of my procedure. In about 10% of the patients that have a UPPP it is an extremely long recovery with the need to have physical therapy in order to relearn how to swallow. I looks like you might be one of the rarer cases in this instance. Hope that is not the case, but best wishes to you all the same.
Sincerely,
MG

Old 10-09-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
(female)

Andrewsgirl724 HB User

Hi mkgbrook,
Thank you for replying. Yea I didn't tell him to take out my uvula, he just did it in an emergency procedure during my tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy. I definitely think that is the reason my recovery was so difficult, but 1 year later, I am having this post nasal drip still--this can't be normal...its like every single day. Every doctor who sees my throat is like "WOAH he really cut everything out back there"...not a good sign. Well, hopefully I will get some answers soon and I won't end up in the court room with this crazy ENT who did my surgery.

Amanda

Old 10-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Well I hate that it happened, but now you need to treat the PND. The posty nasal drip is the result of drainage from your sinuses as you well know. The question that you need to answer is what is causing the excess mucus production and subsequent drainage.

Do you have allergies? Have you been to an allergist?
You can test this by trying a few weeks of over the counter anti-histamine/decongestant to allow it time to build up and work effectively in you system. Be sure to drink a lot of water to help counter act the dryness the decongestant will induce, but if this give you some relief... then allergies may be your source. Reflux cause can be tested by using OTC prilosec. Check with your GP to make sure you can take these drugs, I am not an MD and do not know your medical history. If some relief is recieved here then your PND may be related to acid reflux. The last cause I know of that causes PND is vasomotor rhinitus, Vasomotor rhinitus is an allergic response to irritants and pollutions.

If the ENT's are stumped at this point, you might want to try and asthma, allergy, immunologist.

Best of luck to you.
Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread