It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
(male)

PVCsick HB User
Unhappy Mucous Madness

I am being driven mad with excess mucous

When I awake in the morning I feel fine while still lying in bed, no symptoms at all. Once I get up and walk around, I start to cough. Then I feel a lump of mucous in the back of my throat. I eventually cough a little up. The mucous is a dirty yellow color and extremely thick. When I spit it in the sink the running water doesn't even move it. The mucous in the back of the throat feeling makes me cough and clear my throat all day long. Some days the mucous feels like it's in my chest or lungs and interfers with breathing. Also, my saliva is much thicker than normal and the mucous gets worse after eating anything. At night just as I am falling asleep I will jerk awake with a choking sensation and cannot swallow. This may happen several times before I finally fall asleep for the night. Also, somedays I feel feverish, with no fever present and get a sore throat later in the day.

I am a 48 year old non smoking male. This problem started 2 months ago after having an emergency root canal for a cracked infected tooth and having 2 crowns installed. I also have had acid reflux for 20 years which I take Nexium 40mg twice a day for. I had an endoscopy recently which showed no problems in the throat or esophagus. I do have a small hiatal hernia and slight irration in the stomach. An endoscopy 5 years ago revealed the same results. So, I don't think acid reflux is the cause of the excess mucous production.

I saw many Docs who had no clue. An ENT did see a problem with my sinuses and put me on Avelox for 10 days, then Z pak for 5 days. I also was given Z pak for 5 days when I had the root canal. I also saw an allergist who did the skin scratch test. I am allergic to nothing indoors and almost everything outdoors. I have had the outdoor allergis since birth, no surprise there. The allergist did recommend a sinus rinse twice a day. The sinus rinse does relieve some of the mucous feeling from my throat. He also prescribed flonase which I use after the sinus rinse. I also take Mucinex which doesn't seem to help.

So, after 20 days of antibiotics and no improvement, I finally got a lung and sinus CT. The lung CT showed mild broncieactisis. The sinus CT showed sinusitis. I then realized that I have had no discharge through my nose in months and I have been having post nasal drip. However, I do breathe fine through my nose. I am now on Levaquin for 20 days. The Doc also gave me the Medrol 6 day pak. While on Medrol I didn't have as much mucous. The ENT told me Medrol does not work for infections, but does for allergies. So, the mucous must be an allergic reaction. Then why is Medrol a common drug given for sinusitis??? I questioned him, explained my symptoms and treatments to date again. He wants me to stay on Levaquin for 2 more weeks then have another CT scan. If the CT scan is still positive for sinusitis then surgery may be necessarry.

Has anyone else had theses symptoms with sinusitis or is it something else causing the mucous problem? This is greatly affecting my quality of life and work.

Last edited by PVCsick; 09-15-2006 at 07:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
(female)

apesb HB User
Re: Mucous Madness

Wow. Has anyone ever mentioned sleep apnea to you? It is when your airway becomes obstructed while you sleep, causing you to stop breathing momentarily. The obstruction is actually your neck tissue, that collapses when you fall asleep and all your muscles relax. People with sleep apnea are commonly male adults, some overweight. Their complaints are waking up suddenly with a choking feeling and could include coughing, mucus among many other symptoms. Check it out if you haven't... get back.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

Hi there,

GERD, in all its forms, is a progressively worsening condition. It appears that your acid reflux has progressed from straight-up chronic heartburn (through treatable with Nexium) to a 2nd form of the disease called larygnopharyngeal reflux (LPR). LPR is a form of GERD in which the acid travels all the way up your esophogous into your larynx/pharynx area. Often, it will also get into your throat. When the acid hits your larynx and pharynx, it will typically make you cough all day long, because the larynx and pharynx don't have the natural protections for it that your esophogous does. That acid has a pH of 2, which is pretty darn strong.

You have 2 of the classic LPR symptoms - the chronic cough, and coughing being restricted to the daytime. For some reason, the vast majority of patients with LPR find relief at night or whenever they are lying down, but we cough like crazy during the day.

Now, the weird/sad thing is that the standard treatment for LPR starts with 2 doses of a PPI a day, and you are already on that dose. Doses of 3 or 4 pills have been debated, but the general thought is that improvement isn't typically seen beyond 2 pills a day. It sounds like you may be a candidate for a fundoplication though.

I started with LPR 4 years ago, which was nicely controlled with Nexium 2x per day until 30 days ago, when things took a downturn. I never had heartburn before, but I suddenly developed it, and I think I may have developed a hiatal hernia (i'm getting it checked out next week). In the last 30 days, having any caffeine at all makes me cough for days and I'm also having laryngeal spasms. So I know this condition does get worse with time.

I suggest that you visit the acid reflux message board as many people there have LPR, and to do a little LPR research as well.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
(female)

LovesPink19 HB User

Hey, this sounds a lot like what is going on with me. I am a 19 year old female and I had my tonsils, adenoids and uvula(as an extra emergency-aka mess up procedure during the adenotonsillectomy) removed over a year ago now. Since the day I got the surgery, I have had post nasal drip-I had a CT scan of my sinuses which revealed clear sinuses...my new ENT (because I don't trust the guy who did the surgery) thinks it could be acid reflux that I am feeling and believes it has nothing to do with the surgery...which I don't believe at all. Anyway, we still aren't sure what is wrong or what is causing this post nasal drip because my ENT wants me to get a procedure where he sticks a camera tube up my nose and down my throat-and I am wayyy too traumatized from the whole surgery experience still to be getting any procedure that involves my throat at all. Did you decide to get the surgery? If so, did it work at all? I hate this post nasal drip and I totally know how you feel-it is so annoying. Well , I hope you get better soon.

Amanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVCsick
I am being driven mad with excess mucous

When I awake in the morning I feel fine while still lying in bed, no symptoms at all. Once I get up and walk around, I start to cough. Then I feel a lump of mucous in the back of my throat. I eventually cough a little up. The mucous is a dirty yellow color and extremely thick. When I spit it in the sink the running water doesn't even move it. The mucous in the back of the throat feeling makes me cough and clear my throat all day long. Some days the mucous feels like it's in my chest or lungs and interfers with breathing. Also, my saliva is much thicker than normal and the mucous gets worse after eating anything. At night just as I am falling asleep I will jerk awake with a choking sensation and cannot swallow. This may happen several times before I finally fall asleep for the night. Also, somedays I feel feverish, with no fever present and get a sore throat later in the day.

I am a 48 year old non smoking male. This problem started 2 months ago after having an emergency root canal for a cracked infected tooth and having 2 crowns installed. I also have had acid reflux for 20 years which I take Nexium 40mg twice a day for. I had an endoscopy recently which showed no problems in the throat or esophagus. I do have a small hiatal hernia and slight irration in the stomach. An endoscopy 5 years ago revealed the same results. So, I don't think acid reflux is the cause of the excess mucous production.

I saw many Docs who had no clue. An ENT did see a problem with my sinuses and put me on Avelox for 10 days, then Z pak for 5 days. I also was given Z pak for 5 days when I had the root canal. I also saw an allergist who did the skin scratch test. I am allergic to nothing indoors and almost everything outdoors. I have had the outdoor allergis since birth, no surprise there. The allergist did recommend a sinus rinse twice a day. The sinus rinse does relieve some of the mucous feeling from my throat. He also prescribed flonase which I use after the sinus rinse. I also take Mucinex which doesn't seem to help.

So, after 20 days of antibiotics and no improvement, I finally got a lung and sinus CT. The lung CT showed mild broncieactisis. The sinus CT showed sinusitis. I then realized that I have had no discharge through my nose in months and I have been having post nasal drip. However, I do breathe fine through my nose. I am now on Levaquin for 20 days. The Doc also gave me the Medrol 6 day pak. While on Medrol I didn't have as much mucous. The ENT told me Medrol does not work for infections, but does for allergies. So, the mucous must be an allergic reaction. Then why is Medrol a common drug given for sinusitis??? I questioned him, explained my symptoms and treatments to date again. He wants me to stay on Levaquin for 2 more weeks then have another CT scan. If the CT scan is still positive for sinusitis then surgery may be necessarry.

Has anyone else had theses symptoms with sinusitis or is it something else causing the mucous problem? This is greatly affecting my quality of life and work.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
(male)

PVCsick HB User

Having sinus surgery and septoplasty tomorrow.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Best wishes on your surgery. Some hints from me and my family, that we learned may recovery from sinus surgery easier are:

1) If your nose is not packed.. mine couldn't be. Invest in nostick medical tape an gauze pads so that you can keep the drips and drainage from your nose to a minimum on your surroundings.

2) Rest as much as you can.

3) Be sure to always standup and sit down slowly (my brother wiped out standing up to quick after using the restroom on Day 2)

4) Keep showers luke warm. Too hot and bleeding may result.

5) Keep up your pain medication, even if it is just alternating tylenol and motrine every 3 hours.

6) Use your saline nasal solution to keep you sinuses moist.. dried out sinus hurt after surgery.

Once again I am wishing you well and hope that you have a quick and easy recovery.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 11-21-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
(female)

frecklesaz HB User

I was diagnosed Jan 2006 with Gerd after spending 1 week in hospital going through different tests. They found it by scoping me - I recovered and have been well until one week ago - I have had constant sore throat, hard to swallow, occasional ear aches. My throat is scratchy as well as my voice. I believe I may have contracted Vocal Chord Disorder as I coach softball and the red dirt here is what started me coughing yet again. Is there any way to test the soil to see if indeed I have any allergies to it?

Old 11-28-2006, 04:55 PM   #8
(female)

shortygirl HB User

talking about mucous madness try being the lead singer in your gospel choir its so embarassing. im begining to make my husband sick to his stomach i have been suffering for 11 months now since my 3 series sleep apnea surgery includes the sinus cavities and air way UPP. IT TOTALLY SUCKS my middle name is ANTIBIOTICS I AM FED UP AND NO ONE SEEMS TO CARE ???

Closed Thread