It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #1
(female)

NicoleMC HB User
Hoarseness for 4 months

Okay here is the deal...I have been hoarse for almost 4 months. At first I just thought it was part of my sinus infection but my sinus infection went away but I am still hoarse. I just got insurance so I finally made a dr. appt but can't get in till Oct. 2nd. Does anyone know why this could be happening?? HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2006, 05:10 PM   #2

dasw HB User
Re: Hoarseness for 4 months

Hi Nicole,
Your ENT (Ear, Nose Throat) doctor is the best judge. He may do a Laryngoscopy (quick and done in the office) to see what's going on. Hoarseness can have many causes including acid reflux as well as vocal cord nodules. lesions, irritation, etc.. It's good that you are getting this checked out. I had occasional hoarseness and it was due mostly to acid reflux and some voice abuse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

See the ENT, Nicole.

I had persistent hoarseness for a couple of months, and finally had my ENT look at it.

It was vocal cord cancer.

Fortunately, 33 radiation treatments eight years ago have kept this monster at bay without any unfortunate side effects.

Yours probably isn't cancer, but if it should be, the radiation oncologist can be your best friend.

Good luck,
Bill

Old 09-18-2006, 08:46 AM   #4
(female)

NicoleMC HB User

Thank you for your replies! Today my voice actually is doing a lil bit better but I am going to see the ENT on Oct.2. Will let you know the results then!

Old 09-18-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

NicoleMC

It can also be as simple as post nasal drainage and GURD (another common reflux disease). I have year round allergies and always wake up hoarse and irritated. If you have allergies this is a possibility for you as well. The ENT will be ale to set you on the right path for a cure.

Good luck and Best wishes.
MG

Old 09-18-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
(female)

NicoleMC HB User

Thank you.

I do have alergies, but its not just in the morning when I am hoarse. It is throughout the day. But my throat is NEVER sore. Somedays it is better than others but never back to normal! But hopefully the doc will figure something out!

Old 09-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

Chronic hoarseness is a major sign of LPR, laryngopharyngeal reflux. A small amount of acid is traveling all the way up your esophogous and splashing your larynx and pharynx, which really irritates it, as it has no natural protection. The amount of acid isn't enough to cause heartburn in your lower esophogous.

But to treat LPR, it's the same medication as for heartburn - you need to reduce the amount of acid in your stomach with a Proton Pump Inhibitor like Nexium or Aciphex. But heartburn sufferers usually take only 1 dose a day. People with LPR must take 2 doses per day. This is a serious difference that must be adhered to.

Do a little research on "laryngopharyngeal reflux", and you'll be quite surprised. You can get the PPIs from your PCP, or you can go to an ENT and ask to be scoped. The ENT will insert a thin wire with a camera at the end up your nose and down your throat to observe your larynx. If it's red and swollen, it's confirmation of LPR. Otherwise, a postiive response to PPIs is also considered an indirect diagnsosis of LPR. Check out the acid reflux message board here at healthboards too.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
(female)

NicoleMC HB User

Thank you so much. I looked LPR up and I did have a lot of the symptoms. I go to the dr. in 2 weeks hopefully he will help me out!

Closed Thread