It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 05:06 AM   #1
(male)

barry446 HB User
Left side of my nose feels like its caved in

About 3 years ago after playing some sport I had what I think is some sort of massive panic attack and there was this massive pressure on the bridge of my nose I felt like I was going to drop dead right there and then. Since then I've had surgery done twice on my nose. It feels like the left side of my nose has caved in and it is really thin at the bridge of my nose. Where as the right side of my nose is perfect and really strong. It also feels like I cannot function properly and leaves me feeling very anxious. The ENT team feel like they have done there job after performing both a septoplasty and a rhinoplasty on me over a period of two years but I still have this concern with the top left side of my nose feeling week and caved in. It feels like there is no support for my nose and this is effecting the left side of my head or vice versa. The left side of my head feels numb and I cannot fuction properly. I taken many different medications for anxiety but it doesnt really help my problem. Can anyone help?

Last edited by barry446; 09-22-2006 at 05:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2006, 02:01 AM   #2
(male)

barry446 HB User
Re: Left side of my nose feels like its caved in

any helpers?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2006, 05:10 AM   #3
(male)

barry446 HB User

would really appreciate some help

Old 09-25-2006, 08:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I have read your post many times; however, I am afraid that I feel I can not greatly help you; however, I have a few littler experiments you can try, a little advice, and a few questions that might help clarify things. Dissecting your original post this is what my 2 cents is:

"Since then I've had surgery done twice on my nose."
Question and Comment:What were the surgeries you are referring to the septoplasty and a rhinoplasty mentioned later in the post? Rhinoplasty is a cosmetic plastic surgery procedure to change the shape and contour of the patient's nose. The second, septoplasty, is a reconstructive procedure designed to improve nasal function from the inside. In my opinion, septoplasty is good, it removes obstruction and increases airflow capabilities. If one of these surgeries did cause a problem I would think it would be the rhinoplasty.

"It feels like the left side of my nose has caved in and it is really thin at the bridge of my nose. Where as the right side of my nose is perfect and really strong."
I get a similar sensation, but it is normally due to congestion or sinus mucus clogs. These clogs prevent me from getting any air through one or both sides of my nose. Experiment: Have you tried any nasal aspiration techniques on the "caved in side", i.e. application of saline nasal spray a few times each day, flonase or nasonex, astelin? It really helps me when I clog up... which is about every other day.

"It also feels like I cannot function properly and leaves me feeling very anxious."

Advice and comments:Anytime your nose or airways are not working probably you will feel stress, you may even expereince strider in realy bad cases. The best thing to do is try and relax, drink something hot... with caffiene, yep I am telling you to drink caff. beverages. Caffiene is a broncio dialator, it helps open you up when you are having breathing difficulties and can suppress "mild" asthma attacks.

"The ENT team feel like they have done there job after performing both a septoplasty and a rhinoplasty on me over a period of two years but I still have this concern with the top left side of my nose feeling week and caved in. It feels like there is no support for my nose and this is effecting the left side of my head or vice versa. The left side of my head feels numb and I cannot fuction properly."
Advice: When you lose faith in your doctors get a second opnion from a nuetral source. Go in with minimal background info listed and see what a different ENT thinks is up. Just complain of the restricted airflow and numbness on the left side and see what the ENT says. Once you have an opinion fill him/her in on the rest of the story.

"I taken many different medications for anxiety, but it doesnt really help my problem. Can anyone help?"
Advice:Ask your pharmacist if there are any side effects to the anxiety med's. New a fellow graduate student... that took some to help with the stress of cumm. exams, and they drove him bonkers for a time. He quit and did wonderfully without them. I know not your case so I am not saying stop taking your meds... just check them out through the pharmacist and do a google search or two.

I am not sure if this will help, but I felt you might appreciate someone letting them know they were thinking of you and wishing for the best.

Respectfully Yours,
MG

Last edited by Administrator; 08-21-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
(male)

barry446 HB User

thanks for the advice. Sorry I don't think I explained myself properly. The septoplasty and septorhinoplasty havn't caused any problems but at the same time havn't really dealt with my issue. Yes I can breath easier now which is great. I am not sure if there is anything that can be done to my nose because it is so thin but it definitely feels like it caved in, this is before I had any surgery done. Lower down the nose on the left side the skin has gone hard like a rubber boot and clicks which really annoys me.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
(male)

barry446 HB User

does anybody else have similar problems with there nose where they feel that it has caved in on one side at the bridge and now it just feels to thin?

Old 09-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #7
(male)

barry446 HB User

is there anything that can be done about this sort of problem?

Old 09-28-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
(male)

barry446 HB User

can't believe I'm the only one was this problem

Closed Thread