It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

moviestr_20 HB User
Trouble swallowing & excessive salvia

I don't know what's going on, but I'm having trouble swallowing anything (liquid or food <--shouldn't eat but I do anyway and puke it up on purpose *have GP*).

I was trying to swallow my chewed up krispie treat and it won't go down...automatically my throat closes up and the food either get stuck halfway or comes back up. When it get stuck halfway, I gag and try to swallow it while grabbing something to drink and drink it while the food is halfway-- it helps for my food end up going down when I drink something.

What's going on?

To inform you guys... I have severe Gastroparesis (to the point that my stomach DOES NOT digest foods-- if I eat, I MUST puke it all out or else I'll get sick later on and it *leftover food in tummy* will come out----my body knows it won't digest it so it forces whatever that's in my tummy out *food*).
I also have Autonomic Peripheral Neuropathy--tingling/numb sensation on arm/chest/leg & feet/heels on fire feeling occurs too.
I also am epileptic, but haven't seziured (convulsed) in a great while, except people keep saying that I've seziured (brain wave indicates that it is occurring w/o me knowing = no convulsing).

So yeah.... the swallowing thing sometimes occurs with liquids. OH and I've been having excessive saliva going on in my mouth.

Do you guys have any ideas or suggestion of what it "may" be so that I can offer those ideas to my doc when I call him up in a couple of hours.

(when he's at home-- this is my old doc, but he/I developed a father/daughter relationship & he helps me out, treats me when I can't see my regular doc ***he doesn't take my insurance, so he does it for free occasionally***)

I really want to know what's causing....excessive salvia, throat closing during swallowing, weird blood marks (if you were afar, you'd think it was a mole, but it ain't...and I have quite a few of those popping up all over me).

Help? Ideas?

jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User
Re: Trouble swallowing & excessive salvia

Hi -

So sorry to hear of your troubles. I can relate to the excessive saliva thing -
I have had that since about April, since I have been under a lot of stress. I sometimes wonder if stress and/or hormones can cause this to happen? I
went to see the ENT dr., but he didn't find any stones, etc. Even though he didn't doubt what I was experiencing, he also commented to me that I was probably "focused" on the problem. He said that there was a way to measure saliva output, but I decided not to go through with the testing. Apparently, there is medication to help dry you out. His comment to me was that it could affect me neurologically. Again, mine came on with stress and anxiety,
for whatever odd reason. If I'm really, really anxious, though, my mouth can do the exact opposite and get really dry - go figure! You probably need to go in and see either a Ear, Nose and Throat dr. or a Gastro dr. A lady at work had food get hung up in her esophagus and she'd choke. She recently had some
some sort of a surgical procedure done to correct it. I don't know what the exact diagnosis was, though. If the ENT and/or gastro. dr. can't help you, a dentist might also be able to check out any possible problems in your mouth causing the excess saliva. Since you also have epilepsy and GP, I'd definitely get myself checked out by a professional. I also have acid reflux, which could be contributing to my problem as well.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
(male)

lightingbird HB User

Not to long ago, I had this problem. Turned out it was merely that I was dehydrated. Drinking more water fixed the problem.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

moviestr_20,

My husband had a stricture/hernia in the throat. It caused a similar choking effect even on the smallest bits of food and some fluids. It took a GI doctor using a rod and some washers to stretch his esphogus out and fix the problem.

However the blood spots that "look like moles" can be the indicator of an allergic reaction... hives. If this only occurs when eating certain things then you may have developed an allergy to a major food component. Anxiety and stress in conjunction with allergies can cause reactive airway disease responses where your throat seizes up, can swallow... begins to get difficult to breathe... etc.

Saline solution in the sinuses is another way to cut down on excess saliva production, but it takes a while to kick in... and thins the mucus/saliva in the mean time.

With your conditions I wouls see an ENT first. The ENT can best evaluate you and then direct you toward a GI doctor or allergist as necessary.

Best Wishes. MG

Closed Thread