It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006, 04:25 PM   #1
(female)

Capistrano HB User
Cool Problems after UPPP surgery

I had UPPP surgery for obstructive sleep apnea in July 05. I had a rough recovery in that I developed inhalation pneumonia one week post-op, followed by a diagnosis of acid reflux, gastritis and hiatal hernia. From all the antibiotics I was on, I also have had GI problems such as nausea, lack of appetite, coated tongue, sour mouth, etc., etc. Plus my first ever panic attack and now recurrent anxiety. I had tried the CPAP and couldn't tolerate it, so went ahead with the surgery despite a lot of misgivings. I am 56 years old, female and have never had so many health problems in such a short period of time. I am wondering if others who have had this surgery (removal of uvula and trimming of soft palate) have also had a hard recovery. All the docs say that the acid reflux must have been pre-existing, but I still wonder what part the UPPP has played. The ironic thing is that my sleep apnea is better, but even so I'm still sorry I had the surgery! So, my question is, does anyone have anything good to say about the UPPP?

Old 09-30-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
(male)

hp8 HB User
Re: Problems after UPPP surgery

I'm having some symptoms of sleep apnea now but I don't think I would jump into UPP surgery so easily. Why didn't you try the pillar procedure first. Don't know much about it aside from reading on here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2006, 11:51 PM   #3
(male)

kee4u HB User

Capistrano,

I'm sorry to hear all the problem your having after the surgery. I had to same surgery in 2000 and i stay that was the worst surgery i ever had. I had the complete surgery tonsils, adnoids uvula and my soft palet.

My doctor ask me how long i should stay in the hospital first he was thinking of 12 hours then he decided on 24 hours. Well it eneded up staying for 3 1/2 days and even then i didn't want to go. I felt horrorble and i didn't start eating for three weeks later. I lost 25lbs which didn't hurt me at all.

My first sleep test showed that i had 463 apnea after the surgery i had another test and it showed 300 apnea that night. I now use a cpap mechine every night. for me i couldn't sleep without it.

It took me about an year to be able to swollow any liquids and then after the surgery i found out that i have hypothyroidism (not do to the surgey) but other then that the surgery went well. Would i ever have that surgery again no way would i recommend that surgery to someone "NO WAY" for me it was painful and didn't do any good for me. And to top it off my doctor thinks he did a wonderful job and it worked out great! Was he ever wrong!

I hope your feeling better...

Old 10-01-2006, 02:53 AM   #4
(female)

Capistrano HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp8
I'm having some symptoms of sleep apnea now but I don't think I would jump into UPP surgery so easily. Why didn't you try the pillar procedure first. Don't know much about it aside from reading on here.
None of my doctors recommended the pillar procedure. I did a lot of research before I had the UPPP but I wish I had read more of these healthboards. Also my doctor minimized the side effects. I believe one day this surgery will go the way of the lobotony.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:53 AM   #5
(female)

Capistrano HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp8
None of my doctors recommended the pillar procedure. I did a lot of research before I had the UPPP but I wish I had read more of these healthboards. Also my doctor minimized the side effects. I believe one day this surgery will go the way of the lobotony.

Closed Thread