It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
(female)

plm HB User
headache - pressure from eyeglasses, ear problem?

Just the slightest pressure from eyeglasses pressing above my left ear causes a headache. Wonder if anybody else experiences this and what you found out? This has just begun and doctor thinks could be from fluid in ear. ???

I've been wearing reading glasses for years, often 10 hours a day. No problems. Few weeks ago, I got prescription glasses to wear all the time. Wore them quite often for several weeks (still wear reading glasses while on computer). Then I went and had them adjusted as they were slipping down. On the way home, they felt tight and started giving me a headache, so I bent the arms looser. Still felt tight, so I bent them so loose they were falling off. Took them back and had them re-adjusted the next day. They are very loose. But now even the slightest pressure from the glasses on the left side causes a headache. Even the reading glasses that I've been wearing for many years are now causing a problem. And I never had any problem with them in the past. Eye doctor said if there were no vision problems, I should see a medical doctor, which I did.

She said I had some fluid in my left ear, so she gave me Flonase. Also gave me Midrin for the headache. I'm allergic to aspirin, etc, and can't take anything but Tylenol. Midrin is something that works shrinking the blood vessels to alleviate migraines, so it's not a problem to take it. Took several Midrin the first day and it did nothing, so I haven't taken it again.

I've been doing the Flonase along with Sudafed decongestant for 4 days. Also Claritin antihistamine. Don't have runny nose or drainage or any problems like that. But there is no change in the headache. Pressure on the right side of head doesn't bother me, but pressure on the left is definitely causing this. And I can "feel" my left ear bothering me a little bit. Not bad like an earache, just a sensation that I don't feel in the right ear. But it might be that the pressure from the glasses is also bothering the ear, making it feel this way. Once the headache starts, it doesn't go away when I take off the glasses, but it lessens.

Doctor I went to was family doctor, so I'm going to ENT doctor tomorrow. Want to see if he thinks this could be from my ear. Or could something else be causing this? But what???

This is causing me anxiety because I NEED to wear the glasses to function. I can drive and walk around without them OK (just a little fuzzy in the distance), but for reading and computer work and even just puttering around the kitchen where I need to see 3-4 feet away, I need glasses. And this has just started recently, and might just be a coincidence that it was the day I had the glasses adjusted.

Has anybody else experienced a similar situation? I know some people have pressure on their sinuses from their glasses on the bridge of their nose, but this is not the same. No problem behind eyes or on face.

The Following User Says Thank You to plm For This Useful Post:
Marci V (02-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: headache - pressure from eyeglasses, ear problem?

plm,

I have those issues with my glasses when my lymph nodes behind my ear are swollen. If you have an ear infection.... that is not really bad yet, you can experience discomfort versus the normal associated pain, and irritation of a swollen lymph node can be more painful than the growing infection. Check for swollen lymph nodes running from behind the jaw line up to the back of the ear.

You are doing the anti-histamime, decongestant, nasal steriod regime... Have you tried nasal irrigation with saline solution? This can help promote drainage as well.

Did you go to an optomotrist or an opthamologist? I only go to opthamologists, the trained MD's. I went to a optomotrist once and they miss diagnosed my eye prescriptions... causing severe headaches, and dizziness. However your pain seems to be the result of ill fitting glasses. Will they take the frames back and let you swap them for another pair? What about contacts? If you can wear contacts and the situation is still occuring then there is something going on with the ear itself.

Well the trip to an ENT is the best choice... he or she should be able to help you with this situation and evaluate you for any possible structural defects. Good luck and best wishes... try and take it easy until the professional can diagnose you.

Respectfully MG

The Following User Says Thank You to mkgbrook For This Useful Post:
Marci V (02-21-2012)
Closed Thread