It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
(female)

RockyRaccoon HB User
Question Can tonsil stones CAUSE fatigue?

I've went through hundreds of posts, going back to 2003 LOL!

Lots of people have skimmed the subject of the two being linked, but no definite answer.

I'm just curious - I'm severly fatigued, I mean - I want to cry every morning when I have to get out of bed, and I do have tonsil stones.

I've had many things go wrong with me in the past two years - but I've put most of it ( and so have my Drs. ) off on having my son in 2003. Everyone tells me it's my hormones, and that they are still out of whack. I'm telling you - I've never had so many health problems in my life! I don't know how much longer I can believe it's hormones.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if they could cause fatigue - or maybe I have an infection that is causing the stones, AND the fatigue- I'm not sure.

I haven't been to an ENT yet, but I do think I want to get them removed - I can't take the stones anymore!

I know many of you have experience, I can tell from the boards - just wondering if anyones Dr. ever confirmed the two were linked!

TIA!

Old 10-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Can tonsil stones CAUSE fatigue?

RockyRaccoon,

"I'm just curious - I'm severly fatigued, I mean - I want to cry every morning when I have to get out of bed, and I do have tonsil stones."

Have you thought of being tested for sleep apnea? There is a survey you can take and your GP should be able to identify whether or not you are a candidate. An ENT would be able to look in your throat and determine if its structure predisposes you to this condition.

I didn't feel/diagnose my sleep apnea until last year, and mine was severe.
Things to look for:
1) Being over weight
2) enlarged tonsils
3) restlessness and waking throughout the night
4) always waking fatigued and tired
5) falling asleep during the day
6) needing to take naps... etc

SO in some ways tonsils stones are linked to enlarged tonsils in adults and enlarged tonsils are linked to sleep apnea, and sleep apnea is linked to chronic fatigue.... which I guess you could say the tonsil stones are linked in a way to your fatigue.

"I've had many things go wrong with me in the past two years - but I've put most of it ( and so have my Drs. ) off on having my son in 2003. Everyone tells me it's my hormones, and that they are still out of whack. I'm telling you - I've never had so many health problems in my life! I don't know how much longer I can believe it's hormones. " Trust me, I can sympathize... don't put it off any longer.

Get thee to an ENT. Get checked out and inquire about a good sleep apnea doctor. Mine is a cardiologist... cream of the crop and now with my CPAP my severe sleep apnea is controlled; I actualy sleep through the night and only wake up when my 3 yr old canon balls my chest.

"I haven't been to an ENT yet, but I do think I want to get them removed - I can't take the stones anymore!" You never have to do a surgery. It is your choice, you can always say no... but 10-12 days of discomfort versus a lifetime? Think about it.

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
(female)

yvonneoct12th HB User

There could be more than one factor in your life that could make you feel fatigue, yes I agree it could be a combination of your tonsil stones your sleep apnea and your hormones all working against you.

I used to absolutely look forward to going to sleep.. then I noticed it was so hard for me to get up. I would literally cry and my body would feel like it hadnt even rested.. I'm also the type of person who is very well aware of my body.. I noticed that my bones were hurting and they felt inflamed, my hair which usually grows at such a fast rate that I always had to get it trimmed a few times a month.. it was starting to fall out and it was becoming brittle.. my nails were breaking easily. I was starting to fall asleep everywhere and anywhere!. Finally after going through two drs they found out that I had very low thyroid (Hypothyroidism)
that was slowing my metabolism, making it harder to burn off calories..

Now the my first Dr did catch it however.... since it wasnt that low.. it wasnt treated and me being ignorant didnt ask for my leval numbers nor did I ask what was normal.. So far Ive been on about 3 different dosages and Im doing fine on the 3rd.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:06 PM   #4
(male)

Grunt117 HB User

I have tonsil stones. I am EXTREMELY fatigued. But I agree that tonsil stones can't be SOLELY to blame. The stones are likely a piece of a bigger problem.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:29 AM   #5
(female)

catwomen5 HB User

Hi everyone! I always wondered what these gross little things were! Finally an answer! I am fatigued all the time, but I don't think it's the tonsil stones, they are just smelly little bacteria's and white blood cells. But I found an answer I want to share with you all!! My daughter bought a water pic and I used it last night, and all the yucky stones seem to come out! I pointed it to the crevices in my tonsils and the water got into those crevises and pushed them out. I'll be using this water pic all the time now, instead of trying to pick them out myself and making my tonsils bleed. Hope this works for you! And lets hope our bad breath gets better!

Take care! Doreen

Old 10-30-2006, 01:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

For years I dealt with those nasty things. I had constant sinus headaches -- migraine type headaches that would knock me for a loop, I once had the "summer of the hangover type headache". Felt dizzy and headachey for 3-4 months. Was awful. Finally decided to get my tonsils removed 'cuz I noticed a correlation between the increase in tonsil stone production after a particularly nasty headache. And my tonsils had started to bleed when I'd try to extract them on my own.

After the tonsilectomy, the ENT told my husband that one side was particularly full of that nasty stuff -- full of infection that went very very deep. Since I had my tonsils removed 6 years ago, I rarely have headaches. Went from daily usage of pain relievers to once or twice a year. All I can figure is that the infection in my tonsils was making me sick.

Closed Thread