It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 02:38 AM   #1
(male)

makingsenseout HB User
Hearing heartbeat outside my ear I think?

I think that I have problems with the tubes in my ears or have been told by my GP.I am suppose to go to the ent on thursday to find out if what I have been hearing is a product of tube blockage.I suppose my arteries are ok because hopefully the GP would have found something wrong with my blood flow or the way I looked or something I hope if it was something serious.I have a question though and was hoping someone could possibly answer it..If the hearing my pulse is in my ears caused by fluid blockage..is it possible that when you put your fingers in your ears...you wouldn't hear it because the air in your ears or fluid uses the air flow to circulate through them in order to make the pulsing sound...Or could what I am hearing be something on the back of the head or actually in my neck? I find it odd that when I stop up my ear with say a cottonball or my finger I cannot hear the pulse and when its open I do...Also hearing my pulse is not all the time.. Sometimes its when I walk around and stand still or if I am exerting myself inside our house I can hear it ,usually outside unless its very quiet I cannot hear it..Then sometimes when I lay on the couch and turn to the left I cannot hear it and when I get up it takes about five or ten minutes for it to start ..There again sometime loud sometimes soft..And other times when its pounding ..say after eating ...I come to bed and prop up and use the computer it stops..or is almost so low I cannot hear it..and then other times it can be heard all night unless I turn on the fan ..Its just weird..Most people that complain about hearing their pulse hear it 24/7 and its according to what they are doing..Mine if I am in my car and driving I cannot hear it or most of the time if im moving around I cannot hear it ...but other times I can..Its very quiet here and maybe that has alot to do with it..but my biggest question is ...if it has something to do with the inner ear would I still hear it when my ear is plugged...I am very anxious about this and perhaps tension causes my neck to become still and maybe that is why I am able to hear it.There are many many people that can hear their pulse in their ears but not sure where its coming from.Hopefully someone will know here..My bp is great..my pulse is great...but my nerves aren't ...because of hearing a distinctive pulse most of the time...If you can help please post me here...especially if you know the question about not being able to hear it when my ear is plugged...Thanks in advance..Worried in Colorado...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2006, 06:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Hearing heartbeat outside my ear I think?

Sounds like ear fluid to me. My son had a similar problem when his ear tubes got stopped up with wax. It happens, but it is not that easy to clean out. GO to your ENT as recommended by you GP. Best of luck to you and yours.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 10-28-2006, 01:43 AM   #3
(male)

makingsenseout HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgbrook
Sounds like ear fluid to me. My son had a similar problem when his ear tubes got stopped up with wax. It happens, but it is not that easy to clean out. GO to your ENT as recommended by you GP. Best of luck to you and yours.

Sincerely,
MG
Was the heartbeat sometimes worse than others?Was it worrisome for him? I hope you are right and feel that you are and have had others tell me it probably is but the way it acts sometimes just doesn't make sense..but hopefully that ear wax or fluid is all it is..

Old 11-02-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
(male)

makingsenseout HB User

Update for going to the hospital for pulse in ears,
I gathered as much courage as I could almost
coming unglued as the time for my appointment
neared.I went to sleep late as usual and allowed
for very little time to gather strength again in
the morning.I got in my vehicle and drove
30 miles to the hospital and parked way out
in the parking area and walked in to find that
the doctors I was looking for were on the 2nd
floor.I was rigid as a steel pipe but was still
doing ok.I was tested for hearing..Perfect,
tested for tumors…no tumors..no infections
no fluid in ears , a little wax but very little,
no cancers, no lesions,no blockages, no
bruits no nothing. Diagnoses was loss of 35lbs
over the time it took for me to start hearing
my pulse rate..causing loss of padding also
causing shift of tubes nearer to artery also
TMJ causing shift in muscles and nerves
and vascular sections close to the inner
ear.Complete three hour test ,checkup
and blood pressure spiking but went
back down to normal by end of
visit .Cause of pulse in ears surmised
was loss of weight,altitude change
and stress.Doctor said there was no blockage
of arteries ,no tumors,and if I could live
with the noise,which I have lived with
tinnitus for almost 20 years I think that
eventually my brain will come to not
hear this anymore or it could go away.
Doctor also said that he could order
scans but they would be negative and there
was nothing that pointed to a reason for
any scans..In short…It is all in my head,
He said I would probably live another day
to make another post lol…Thank you for your
reply to me and help.I made it through the
doctor and for me that was the hardest part.

Old 12-09-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
(female)

makkessa HB User

Did the doctors tell you that you have patulous eustachian tubes? That is what is sounds like.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Hi everyone ,

I just noticed that I hear a heartbeat in my left ear when I'm trying to fall asleep and only when I am laying on my left side. This doesn't happen on my right side. What on earth is this? I just started noticing it in the last week.

Thanks!

Closed Thread