It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
(female)

Sephi HB User
ear blockage due to cold?

Hi,
I have a really bad cold at the moment- runny nose, sore throat etc. And my right ear is slightly blocked- not too bad but still very annoying. The hearing in it seems to be not that badly affected, but my balance is off and it just feels strange.
Anyway, I was wondering if this is due to the cold/flu I have at the moment, or if it could be caused by wax? I can't see a doctor at the moment as I have lectures 9-5 every day at uni, and have to make an appointment a week in advance as it is (with everyone getting colds etc at the moment).
Just to add, I had my tragus (the piece of cartilage in front of my ear) pierced just over 2 months ago, haven't had any problems with it and don't THINK it's related. I guess I'm just a little paranoid.
Any advice on how to get rid of it?
Thanks guys xxxxx

Last edited by Sephi; 10-09-2006 at 12:48 PM.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: ear blockage due to cold?

Best thing to do is take an anti-histamine/decongestant combo to help with the cold and swelling, in addition to using an ear wax removal kit, followed by 50:50 rubbing alcohol/vinegar rinses to clear it out. If it is cold related... the drugs will help... if it is wax the remover will help. If symptoms continue or the ear wax removal process is extremely painful make time to get to the doctor.

Sincerely, MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2006, 02:02 PM   #3
(male)

hp8 HB User

The nasal congestion I have been tolerating for the past year, taking decongestants when it gets so clogged up I can't sleep. But for the past few weeks now, the ear blockage started, my doctor told me due to the sinus congestion. Its not ear wax or anything like that, he said it eas swelling in the tubes therefore no clear flow of air. Also not much he can do. I only take 1 sudafed maybe 3 times a week but its doing nothing for the ear blockage. Maybe I'm not taking enough? Don't want to raise the blood pressure up from sudafed use.
Any other suggestions? I'm due to see another ENT in about a couple weeks.

Thanks.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

hp8,

1 sudafed 3x a week is not enough. Normally dosage of over the counter sudafed...which doesn't match the prescription dosage. One every 4-6 hours.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 10-14-2006, 07:44 PM   #5
(male)

hp8 HB User

Hi mkgbrook,

As always you are quite knowledgable in this area.

A sudafed every 4 to 6 hours. At least my congestion won't be as bad, might even help with the ear problem. Its driving me nuts, feel like I'm always falling to one side, no balance. By the way, what is the prescription daily dosage of sudafed.

Do anyone get crazy dreams from taking pantoloc (protonix) daily.

Thanks again.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Maximum recommended prescribed dosage PSE/GG 90mg/1200mg x2 daily.

MG

Closed Thread