It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
(male)

pisces1 HB User
Tips on steam inhalation

My doctor told me to inhale steam to help clear my cattarh (apparently this is frequent advice for nose and sinus problems). But I'm not sure how to do it most effectively.

I've found a few useful links on the internet, which I have read -

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/complementary_medicine/practicalexercises_inhalations.shtml[/url]

[url]http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/1/a/Eucalyptus.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.pediatriconcall.com/forpatients/Procedures/steam_inhalation.asp[/url]

[url]http://www.essentialoils.co.za/steam-inhalation.htm[/url]

I have two main questions -

1 - How long should a session last? (The linked pages above suggest 1-2 minutes, 5-10 minutes or 15 minutes).

2 - I have blocked sinuses and a blocked left-ear eustacian tube. Should I inhale through my nose, mouth, or both?

I would be grateful for any advice

Old 10-24-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Tips on steam inhalation

Hello,

My ENT recommended steaming as well, but we worked out a more time efficient Here is what has worked for me, it is a daily routine that can be cut back on when you are not suffering from sinus symptoms.
1) Take fifteen minute shower every night before bed at the highest temp setting you can stand. This will help steam your head while you are getting clean and open you up before you go to sleep.
2) Use a saline spray. Simply saline has an automated mister and can be taken with you and used multiple times a day. I am currently using it every two hours to keep my sinuses clear after comlete endoscopic surgery. But my normal use was in the morning before applying nasonex to allow the nasonex to get to the target membranes, after lunch when I would take a potty break, and when I got home before dinner. THIS CAN WORK BETTER THAN STEAMING, BECAUSE OF THE VOLUME OF SOLUTION ENTERING AND RINSING YOUR SINUSES.
3) I also take daily decon ongestants, nasonex, singular, and zyrtec daily.

Techniques to steam your head..
the best method I used when using them...
1) boil a pot of water
2) add a scented aromatic component, camomille/lavender/mint oil (avoids scents if allergic, you can also get menthol oil if you look in specialty stores) to the boiling water
3) Pour scented oil water into a large flat casserol pan or bowl.
4) Place your head over the bowl.
5) Cover your head and bowl with a large bath towl, breathe in steam as long as you are able.. if you can not do it in one half hour session (recommened length to me for a day) due a few ten minute sessions or twice as many five minute sessions.... kess than 5 minutes seemed to have no lasting effect for me.
6) Breath in your nose and out your mouth.. the things that are clogged are in or near your nose.. not your mouth.. and this is the professionally recommended way to breathe (if your sinus cavities are not completely blocked).

Best of luck to you hope this helps.
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 10-24-2006 at 08:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread