It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2006, 11:47 AM   #1
(female)

danab222 HB User
Smile Tonsillectomy - 3 weeks post op

I just wanted to give a rundown of my experience with my tonsillectomy.

I'm 37, my Sugery day was Friday, October 6.

Friday and Saturday were really great. I was able to eat soft foods easily and I drank 100+ ounces a day. Warm foods felt better than cold. I took Percocet for pain, but stopped it after day 2, switched to liquid Tylenol cough & Sore Throat, though Monday-Wednesday I took half a dose of Percocet at night. For about 6 days sleeping was great as long as I was on my side. After 6 or 7 days I could sleep normally without having to think much about it.

Monday and Tuesday mornings (October 16 & 17) I woke up both days with sore throat discomfort and went back to eating more cold than warm, but when I woke up on the 18th I felt really good.

I had my post op with my surgeon on the 20th and he said everything looked fine and that the remaining white in my throat would clear up and that it sometimes takes a total of 4-6 weeks for everything to be clear.

I went back to work on the 21st and I feel really great. I am so extremely pleased with the results already. I used to have a constant nagging on my left tonsil, I was often running low grade fevers, I had tonsil stones like crazy dispite gargling 3-4 times a day and using tongue scraper, etc...and bad breath. Now, I never have bad breath at all and I just feel so much better. It is awesome.

What worked for me:

WATER!!!!! 100+ ounces a day
EATing (first week: apple sauce, mac & cheese, canned peaches, soup, oatmeal, Lo Mein then I added more "normal" foods during the start of second week)
Sleeping 8 hours or more a night
liquid children's Tylenol Liquid Cough & Sore Throat (adjust dose by weight)
liquid adult formula Tylenol Liquid Cough & Sore Throat
Kid's Chloraseptic sore throat relief strips

I also followed the advice of my surgeon, nurse and others and stayed away from ice cream.

I had a humidfier set up but never used it.

I never had sore ears or any complications.
No loss of taste or sensation.

Remember that everyone is different and because one person has a bad experience that does not mean that you will. Every case is unique. Also what works for one may not work for another. And of course check with your doctor to make sure OTC meds are OK for you. If you are in pain or have an adverse reaction to pain meds, call your DR.

Dana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy - 3 weeks post op

Dana,

This would be great to copy and repost in the Stickied LisaMP's Guide. For it covers what works for you and gives a great summary of your experiences. I you don't mind, I can copy and paste it there.. or you could add it at your leisure. Just a thought.
Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread