It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
(male)

mr_pseudotonsil HB User
Descabbing woes

I was wondering what't the longest this descabbing usually takes. I'm 15 days post surgery today. My descabbing started more or less on Sunday night. So it's been 4 full days. Looks like a lot of the scabs are gone. But the pain the past couple days has returned with a vengeance. Even drinking cold water hurts. I've just been drinking warm water today. Before I was eating foods...
And to top it off my tongue has a forest of white on it.

Is this kind of pain so late in the game normal? How long can the descabbing last? And is the white on my tongue just a buildup of white blood cells?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2006, 03:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Descabbing woes

Look at my day 6 - 7 post operation postings in the LisaMP's Adult Guide post. It sounds like you might have oral thrush as a side effects of the IV anti-biotics and tonsillectomy. I got it and I am on day 5 of my descabbing process and still having a bit of trouble. I posted a detailed definition of oral thrush and its symptoms. If the match you, call and get the swish and swollow oral thrush mouth rinse. The Mouth rinse works much faster and actualy numbs your mouth in the process.

What the hey.. I will just copy and paste it here to save you the search.

Re: LisaMP's Adult Guide to a Tonsillectomy
Day 6 continued and Day 7:
Alright everyone... yesterday and last night were hell. The pain was the worst yet yesterday. I was not able to eat or sleep, however I continued to eat ice chips and drink ice water, while maintaining an ice pack on my throat and heat packs on my ears. At 11:50 pm one whole scab came of and I began to bleed a good bit. We called my ENT because it didn't stop after 15 minutes of ice packs and and direct application of ice chips. Since the bleeding slowed, but did not increase the doctor told us to give it another 15 minutes of the same. After an hour and ten minutes, we got the bleeding to slow to almost a stop. we were waiting and watching... doing absolutely nothing when wham.. the other scab came off and bleeding session two started rekicking off the bleeding of site one.... Needless to say ENT told us to go straight to the ER.

At the ER it was swamped and since I was not experiencing arterial bleeding I was put in a corner and left to my own devices with a bucket of ice chips. At 4 am aqpprox imately 3 hours later the bleeding was for the most stopped again and the ER doctor came in to check me out.

Turns out the IV anti-biotics gave me oral thrush, which caused additional complications. I only had experience with thrush in horses. For all others out there look out for this:

Oral thrush is an infection of yeast fungus, ''Candida albicans'', in the mucous membranes of the mouth. Thrush is only a temporary candida infection in the mouths of babies. However, the term is sometimes expanded to include candida infections occurring in the mouth and throat of adults, also known as candidosis or moniliasis.

Symptoms
White, cream coloured, or yellow spots in the mouth. The spots are slightly raised. No pain in the area underneath the spots is very common. If you scrape off these spots, they leave small wounds that bleed slightly. In adults, thrush can cause an uncomfortable burning sensation in the mouth and throat.

Well the thrush has a tendancy to spread as well and cause your tongue to swell and bleed. I notice my tongue going white and some lessions occuring as well as splotchiness an what appeared to be hives on the rough of my mouth. I initially thought that it was an allergic reaction to something I ate, but it was weird. Tried brushing my tongue off... big mistake, made it burn even worse as well as caused my tongue to bleed, white thick film stayed. Brushing the tongue made my mouth and throat very sore I don't recommend it.

It turns out that by day 6 the thrush had also spread to my tonsil wound sights and was causing increased pain and irritation, as well as very rare bleeding patterns. Well the thrush caused me to maintain very thick mucus in my mouth an throat at all times. It also thickened the scabs causing them to be very ropy and slimy. Well as the scabs thicken and got heavier.. stress was applied and all the extra wate I was drinking caused then to slid write off.

Now I went to my ENT on day 7 he gave me a steriod shot to make the diflucan (cure for thrush to work quicker as well as aide in the pain and swelling of the area. I got very nausous and threw up for the first time. Luckily, the new scabs are looking like normal, and the vomiting did not promote bleeding episod number 3. It has been about six hours since the steriod shot and things are definitely better already.

So for everyone out there look out for thrush and get it treated ASAP. I lost 3 pounds in the two days that thrush and me down. It made the whole experience worse... and the cure is simple if you can get it diagnosed. Thrush will come about with in the first 48 hours after extremes doses of anti-biotics... its favorite environment is moist areas... tongue, gums, throat, tonsils...

So Best Wishes to Everyone.
Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2006, 03:11 PM   #3
(male)

mr_pseudotonsil HB User

" Thrush will come about with in the first 48 hours after extremes doses of anti-biotics... its favorite environment is moist areas... tongue, gums, throat, tonsils..."

I'm guessing its not thrush then, or not extreme. As it has been 15 days. Also, I didn't have IV antibiotics but just too the Zithromax pack. No sores in mouth...just a white tongue. How long did your descabbing gone on for. Sounds like you had a rough time...

Old 10-27-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Started descabbing day 5 still descabbing.. Scabs fall off and then regrow, to have another go. What fun.

Try scrapping your tongue with a tonue scrapper and/or brushing it with a tooth brush. Does the white forest come off? OR Does it cause pain irritation and bleeding?

The time line for contration of thrush is not a guarantee. Just an approximation, Oral surgery conditions make one susceptable to thrush. If you can not brush or scrap the white stuff off of your tongue with out pain or bleeding, then it can be thrush. Wouldn't hurt to get it checked out.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 10-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
(male)

mr_pseudotonsil HB User

My doc saw me and my tongue yesterday and didn't mention anything. I'll try brushing the tongue.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
(female)

50plus HB User

My son was totally grossed out by the white, furry-looking tongue. I really think his was due more to the poor oral hygiene during those first days of pain. What helped with him was a tongue scraper, purchased at drug store. This seems to work better than toothbrush. With the scraper and better oral care later, the white coating eventually "wore" off.

Also, the coating could be due to the change in saliva due to the inflammatory process going on due to the surgery.

As an aside, my dentist encourages the use of a scraper on a daily basis as part of oral hygiene (never did this until recently, but I like using it)

Old 10-27-2006, 08:48 PM   #7
(female)

danab222 HB User

I'm on day 21 and I still have some scabs and my surgeon said it is normal to still see white stuff on throat and can take 4-6 weeks for complete clearing. Everyone is different. I don't have any discomfort with mine, I just took a peep this morning to see what was going on, looks way better than it did last Friday.

I did not get the heavy white coating but I really pushed myself to try and brush my teeth and tongue every day early on and I have been using a tongue scraper habitually for the past 2 years.

Happy healing.

Dana

Closed Thread