It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
(female)

Acacia7876 HB User
30 Year Old Tonsillectomy - No Pain Meds - Day 1

Well, all kinds of things changed for my procedure today. Wow. Where to begin. I was given something to relax me prior to GA. Morphine during recovery by IV. Supposedly I reacted to nothing. I did have tonsils, adnoids and part of my uvula removed. I was released before 11:30am! I was supposed to have been overnight, but they were so pleased I was sent home.

Due to all my allergies, we were never able to find a pain med. So I'm flying solo. Liquid tylenol is my only option, but earlier, it just dried everything out when I tried to take it, so I gave up.

So today I've been trying not to choke on swollen uvula area, and can't swallow. I've been passing in and out of conciousness on the sofa all day, startling myself awake when that swelling obstructs breathing a little or I swallow.

Tonight I am nauseous, have a slight hangover headache kind of feeling, and am trying not to have involunatry gag reflax.

With all my napping, I've managed not to have much liquid since I got home. But I have been trying to sip. Even if it's only a couple sips an hour.

I can't lie -- this is enough pain and discomfort that I've actively had to hold back tears. Crying will only make it worse. I feel the swelling around uvula/palette area, and the pain in my throat is excruciating. I feel it in my ears.

So for all of you finding my post - yes - this is going to hurt. But consider yourself lucky, you don't have to do this w/out pain meds at all. It will be easier.

Tonight I doubt I'll get much sleep and plan on forcing a bit more ice water, maybe some lukewarm broth to see if i can't settle my tummy a little. I wish I could have a little gingerale. But that would REALLY hurt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2006, 06:31 AM   #2
(female)

eleora HB User
Re: 30 Year Old Tonsillectomy - No Pain Meds - Day 1

Sorry to hear that... sounds rough! It is probably more painful since you did have your uvula worked on as well. I hope you feel better soon, that must be really hard.

I am on day 10 or so and have been fairly lucky--drank tons of water, like 100 ounces per day and that REALLY helped-- try to drink as much as you can.

I stil haven't had terrible ear pain or anything. A little mild nausea but nothing bad. I think my scabs are starting to come off but its hard to tell.

Hang in there! I hope they can find something to give you. I did stop taking the lortab a few days ago and even though my muscles in my throat and glands are really sore, it isn't agony. I have taken occasional tylenol but it's been okay.

-Eleora

Old 11-04-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
(female)

somber_soul HB User
Lightbulb Re: 30 Year Old Tonsillectomy - No Pain Meds - Day 1

OH DEAR! I had the same surgery, so I feel your pain. Only at least I had pain meds. I am so sorry to hear of your discomfort. Ask your doctor if you can take Tylenol PM? I'm not sure if it comes in a liquid. If not, you can buy a pill crusher at the drugstore and mix the medication with apple sauce or something similar. That might help ease the pain and help you get some rest. Good luck sweetie

Closed Thread