It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006, 12:09 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User
Getting Throat stretched help anyone swallow better? Trouble swallowing.....

Hi, I have been having trouble swallowing off and on which seems to be getting more on than off the last couple of weeks.
I chew well, then swallow, tongue pushes food all the way back to back of throat a little past tonsils, about an inch or so (above adam's apple), then it's as if the back part of my tongue stops working and wont push the food on down and I have to sort of do this jerky, hard swallow, having to even move my head down or around to sorta stretch out my neck as I try and get it down before it will go down...... I'm sure I appear to be startled cause I jerk and looked scared.

I have had an endoscopy done about 1-1/2 months ago. I was having GERD then too but was on nexium till recently and have no more symptoms of gerd. He found no problems in the upper GI or stomach, but

he did stretch my throat and after I left there I felt like I could swallow a water mellon whole! It was great! I had no problems swallowing at all for about a month and then slowly the problem came back getting unbearable over the last few days.

My sisterinlaw's mom had this same exact problem and she is not a sick person, no diseases, illness.... Just problem swallowing almost choaking food cause of it.... WELL, she had her throat stretched once and it helped for a while so she ended up having to get it stretched 3 different times to stay fixed. Now she has no trouble swallowing and can eat anything w/o fear or problems.

Have any of you had your throat (esophagus) stretched and if so how long did it help you swallow and did you have to get it done more than once? How many times before it stayed fixed for you?

I have other issues too which may or may not cause this swallowing problem.... Asthma, allergies to dust, pollens, some foods, etc., (the throat thing is not any type of anaphylactic reaction, by the way), rhinitis. I used to have panic attacks a long time ago but they went away, I do still get anxiety once in a blue moon now, mostly during asthma attacks which I'm sure go hand and hand with not being able to breathe, low blood sugar in mornings if I don't eat within a few hrs of waking.

The last 4 days or so I have been having *****ing sensations in fingers, toes, burning skin sensations on arms and chest, numbness in arm, hand, leg and foot on right side, muscle weakness, head aches, forgetfulness and the main one that bothers me, "swallowing".

I have only been able to eat the equivalent of a sandwich wrap in the last 24 hrs and had to do that a few bites over the entire day. I am very hungry, but can't get the food down far enough not to choke cause it stops just right over my airway and I get all freaked out, if you have had this you know it's very scarey. Makes you scared to eat for fear of getting food in airway. My throat has been feeling dry/scratchy since this got bad a few days ago which is probably from throat clearing due to the whole throat thing.

I had some tests done today, my EKG was mildly not normal, weakness in right arm, tested for low B12, Potassium, Iron, etc., also, have a brain scan to be done next month to check for MS. I'm only in my early 30's so this is all just nuts...... Is it truly THIS down hill from 30's?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2006, 08:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: Getting Throat stretched help anyone swallow better? Trouble swallowing.....

Do a search on myasthenia gravis.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User
Re: Getting Throat stretched help anyone swallow better? Trouble swallowing.....

My late mother-in-law had her throat stretched. Unfortunately for her, it was punctured and she didn't survive. Is that the only procedure available??

Old 01-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, the doctor told me that it can get punctured which can allow food or fluids to get right into the airway IF they stretch it too much at any one time.
That's why a few people told me their doctors opted to do a little stretching at a time over 2 or 3 times and they had no problems. I did have the trouble swallowing thing there for a while after but it seems to have good and bad days so it could just all be in my head at this point..... I'll be going in over the next two days to have it and some other stuff checked out so I'll know then.
As for other options, if the throat has rings or **** it has to be stretched, I think to make it wider. I believe there might be a surgery that can do the same thing or similar but can't remember at the moment.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
(male)

hp8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlmon18
My late mother-in-law had her throat stretched. Unfortunately for her, it was punctured and she didn't survive. Is that the only procedure available??

My goodness, sorry to hear that.

I was diagnosed by a GI and he told me when I get scoped if I needed my throat stretched, he would do it. Since he would not go in any details, I cancelled at the last minute. I will go back if it gets worst, the breathing problems but for now, looking for other options.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

hp8 - good idea to look for other options. When my late mother-in-law told me she was going to have the procedure done, I'd never heard of it before. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

I had my throat stretched, and during the process it ruptured in three different places, only they did not know it, they spent 3 days trying to find out why my chest hurt so bad, then when they did I was rushed into emergency surgery, i WAS FED THRU TUBES FOR 2 MONTHS, AND THEN AFTER i COULD HAVE SOFT FOODS FOR ANOTHER 2 TO 3 MONTHS, AND, AFTER ALL THAT, i STILL CAN'T SWALLOW ANYTHING SOLID LIKE MEAT, i HAVE HAD TO HAVE IT TAKEN OUT TWICE, that was enough for me, I don't eat meat anymore, and sometimes bread does not go down well, you know, it just turns into a little ball of dough. I haven't been able to eat anything but soft foods for 26 years, so I will never even think of having that done again. By the way, when they did the endo, they said I had no motility in my esophagus and that cannot be repaired. gOOD LUCK.

Last edited by 1sunny1; 01-10-2007 at 11:55 AM.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

My husband had this done to take care of a hyrnia stricture. The tool used was nicknamed "big bertha", but it was a fiber optic steel encased camera that increasingly larger washer disks could be attached. The process took 45 minutes and was gradual. The camera allowed for visualization before and after a stretching pass. There was no ill side effects and the GI MD performed this procedure daily without complications or ruptures. My husbands throat was soar and he discribed it as internal carpet burn. He was able to eat and drink normally.. with some discomfort the afternoon after the procedure. The complications of ruptures are normally the result of a weakened esphogial walls as a result of chronic acid relux and no treatment. Before having this done it is always prudent to check out the MD's surgical history and equipment.

How many times? Once, three years ago. The GI doctor said that at least one repeat is necessary if the stretching is the result of a hiadal(sp) hyneria and that normally stretching doesn't need to be repeated until the choking and stricture symptoms return. I am hoping that it will be another 5 to 7 years before the procedure needs to be repeated. Our Gi said that a good stretching should last for 5-10 years depending on the patient.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 01-12-2007 at 07:08 AM.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
(female)

ausky HB User

My son is now 2yrs old and has problem swallowing since 2 months along with asthma, reflux and sleep apnea. He has had his esophagas dialated and has had botox injections. They did not last long enough to do again so now he his going to have a ciropharynegeal moytomy (cut the muscles in throat to relieve the spasams). Have you ever had a broncosopy? Do a search on achalasia they are alot to research.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, I had another scope ran down my throat but this time was to have a look into my voice box cause I felt as if something was in there right above it in my airway... Anyway, that turned out to be reflux changes in the tissues right above and around that area in my trachea.
I was SURE the ENT would find something in there which felt sort of meaty but it was nothing except I guess rawness from acid. I do have gerd which got better after a short time on nexium but I had to go off that cause it was causing me to have a LOT of anxiety (not in my mind but the uncomfortable body sensations of anxiety) so forget that! My doc put me on the higest dose right away too and I am so tiny staying between 104 & 112... You would think they would try less first.
Oh well.... I was glad to hear nothing was in there and have been trying to sleep with my head up higher so the stuff don't go down my airway so easily.... This getting into my airways a few months back did cause me to have TERRIBLE asthma flair ups that were hard to get control of... Took nearly a month on steriods that time to feel just "ok". It did get to a point of where I feel good/normal.... My pulmonologist said that I was breathing 1/3 less than I should be for my age/weight.. and I was feeling pretty good the day I took that tests so I can't imagine on my bad days!
Ok, back to swallowing..... I have still had some issues w/it but it seems to be more with meat. I have no idea why meat but I have started drinking water like crazy which is helping a lot and if I take just a tiny sip of water with my bite of meat and chew them togther then I have a lot less trouble as long as I wash down with water... It's to the point where I will chew my food and when I am done I just gulp it down w/water as if to be drinking and not really eating if you get me....... Geeze... Tonight alone, I drank 3- 20oz bottles of water with one meal/normal size portions and I am seeming to have to do that with every meal now. I don't know if i have just gotten freaked out by the time I almost choaked and food hang in there or what... But it's like I can't get it out of my mind when I eat. It's darn scarey for your tongue to just seem to go dead and not move the food on down right when food is over your airway...... I lost 3 pounds the week I started this thread but am slowly gaining it back... The times I notice I am getting the food down a little easier I will eat a lot more to make up for the times I can't. My Gastro doc wants me to come back in and check my throat out but I was having this swallowing issue not long before I went in to see him so it can't be from the throat stretching he did with that balloon thing or what ever it is.... Maybe that is why it got worse for a few weeks after I have it done though? Who knows..... I had an MRI done too to rule out MS or anything else brain related but have not hear my results yet. hope all of you are doing well.......

Old 01-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #11
(male)

hp8 HB User

This throat stretching, are you put to sleep for the procedure. 45 mins sure sounds like a long time. I know I was awake for my gastroscopy didn't take no more than about 5 mins, even though I was gagging like crazy.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:57 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was put to sleep for it.... That part was great.... When I came out of it I felt more rested than I have in years! I felt great for a few days! Must have been anestesia.... If I could sleep that good every night I'd have a ton more energy. I asked to be put to sleep for it though so, for sure ask for it.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:47 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

t panic411***** i have had trouble swallowing for about 9 months now. no dx execpt maybe esophageal spasms. also have an enlarged thyroid with nodules that are benign. surgeon who did the biopsy thought maybe my thyroid was pressing on a nerve. Lately I have been hearing alot about throat strectching and understand that some people get relief for life and others maybe have to have it done again in 5 years but it takes care of the problem. thanks for posting this.

ICC

Old 01-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

t_panic411,

Try taking just one 40 mg nexium a day 30 minutes before dinner. Gerd is worse at night after you eat and when you go to sleep. I couldn't handle two a day.. so following this method the nexium helps when I am sleeping and digesting my last meal of the day. It helped me dramatically. On a positive note.. your prescription lasts longer as well. I wouldn't quit cold turkey.

Acid reflux is serious. My grandfather had his esphogus rupture, while vomiting, because it was so weakened by reflux. Needless to say, the toxic effects of dumping stomach acid and vomit all over your vital organs due to your esphogus rupturing, has a very slim chance of survival. The only way to let the esphogus repair itself is to cut down on the acid reflux. My father in law couldn't take the prescription reflux drugs unsure as to why, but OTC prevacid and tagment HB manage his reflux well.

Best of luck to you.
Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread