It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 05:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User
Question Is this Strep Throat?

I posted a few days ago about my swollen throat...
I'm now wonderimng if it's Strep Throat. Here's what's happened from the beginning...
I started off with a mild runny/stuffy nose, and later that evening, I was feeling run down, so I took a nap. When I woke up an hour later, I'd developed a sore throat, up high- like behind my soft pallet, and a general "icky" feeling all over. A couple hours later, I developed nausea and went to bed. That night, I woke up during the night every hour because the pain in my throat was so severe. I took a couple of Advil at about 6 AM, and at 8:30, I woke up and my throat was so swollen, I was having trouble breathing. I also was only able to breathe out of one nostril. I was up for a while freaking out about the possibility of my throat swelling shut, and in the meantime, I took more Advil. I went to lay back down, and the opposite nostril was blocked by that time, and the other side of my throat was not swollen, so I was able to breathe easier and fall asleep. When I woke up 3 hours later, the swelling in my throat had gone down, but it was still a bit painful. I kept alternating Advil and Tylenol Cold for the rest of the day, and I just had a slight sore throat and stuffy nose. The next day, I felt about the same as the previous day. Then yesterday, My sinuses started to get really painful, and I developed that general icky feeling, and that weakness in the pit of my stomach that I feel when I'm sick. I also felt aching muscles. I took my temperature, and it was still pretty low. It's been 98.0 or lower throughout the whole time. And yesterday, I had bad nausea and stomach pains on and off throughout the day, and was very tired. I went to bed at 9:30 last night, which is very unlike me, even when I'm sick. Today, my throat only hurts down lower- it's scratchy, and otherwise, I feel much the same as I did yesterday.
I'm just worried that this is Strep Throat. I used to get it all the time when I was younger, and I always got that sore throat with the stuffy nose, and the nausea and general sick feeling. Except I used to always get a fever with it, and this time, I don't have a fever. Is it possible to have Strep Throat without a fever?
Also, I have Epstein Barr, and I heard that an outbreak of Epstein Barr can have Mono-like symptoms. I have a lot of the Mono symptoms, except I didn't see nausea listed as a symptom of Mono anywhere I read about it.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2007, 06:39 AM   #2
(female)

ralnes18 HB User
Re: Is this Strep Throat?

Hey. Sorry you're feeling so yucky and run down. But, just for a heads up...Epstein-Barr Virus can cause infectious mononucleosis. I had it in high school and it was the worst thing ever. My whole throat was coated in white spots and very sore. Don't really remember if I had fever or nausea, but all I can remember I could do was sleep. Seemed like I couldn't get enough rest. Might want to go to the doc to get an official diagnosis...but there's really nothing they can do for it. I have read of them prescribing steroids to help with swelling and such. Just get lots of rest and stay hydrated.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-03-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Sounds more like sinus trouble than strep. Strep tends to be characterized by high fevers and splotches on the throat and tonsils.. if you still have them.

Other things that cause similar symptoms.. viruses and drainage from sinus infections. Your best bet is to go into the MD and get a diagnosis. The can test for strep and flu as well as determine if you have a bacterial infection from a simple CBC blood test.

Best wishes.
MG

Old 01-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Thanks for the replies! I made an appointment with my doctor tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
(female)

ralnes18 HB User

Glad you got an appointment! Hope all goes well! Will check to see how things are tomorrow!

Old 01-05-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

I saw my doctor, and I guess I had some virus that EVERYONE has been getting, but it turned into a sinus infection and a throat infection. so I'm on antibiotics and Respi-Tann Suspension(which is <almost> the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted).
But hurrah, I'm starting to feel better today, and my head finally doesn't feel like it's going to fall off!

Old 01-05-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
(female)

ralnes18 HB User

Glad it wasn't too serious...and glad you've got meds to help you fight off the problem! Also glad you're feeling better already...sorry the meds are yucky!

Hope you feel better soon!

Old 01-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Thank you, ralnes18!

Closed Thread