It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 08:11 AM   #1
(male)

chevylowlow HB User
Inner ear virus

LAst cotober i was diagnosed with severe virrus of the inner ear. I had terrible dizzy spells 24hrs a day. It seems to be letting up but now im left with this foggy and very lightheaded feeling. I was wondering if anyone experienced the same thing. Im getting worried since it as been 3 months.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
(female)

alwayshotroddin HB User
Re: Inner ear virus

Hi Chevy,

Sorry to hear about your dizziness. :-/ I have something very similar to you that has lasted about 2 and 1/2 months. I went to an ENT doctor in early November about dizziness throughout the day and a vertigo attack. He told me that I had BPPV (benign paroxymal positional vertigo). He did something called an "Epley Manuever" and told me I would get better. The problem is, it's been over a month and I'm still feel very "foggy and Lightheaded" just like you. I also have stomach problems and nausea. I'm almost wondering if I didn't have a virus also? I see my ENT doc again next week so I'll ask him about that. Sorry I can't be of much help to you but I indeed have the same symptoms as you and they have yet to get better! If we both do have a virus I'm sure that it could stay in our systems for several months. Let me know if you talk to you doctor and what they tell you - I'll do the same. Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
(female)

rachelacey HB User

Hop over to the Inner Ear Board and you'll find a lot of information on this. It's a fairly common complaint after an ear virus. You'll find lots of support over there!

Old 02-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
(female)

noodles3 HB User

There is a virus which causes nerve damage to the inner ear. I was told at least 3 months for recovery- it is very, very slow. Horrible to go through - I hope you feel better soon.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
(female)

peanut925 HB User

hi,
I too have had dizzy like spells for almost three weeks now. At first it was once every few days but now it is every day. I get more of the foggy lightheaded sick feeling more than anyy thing. The doctors said I also have BPV. So far the meclizine for the dizziness isn't doing much but I go to do a test next week. My eyes feel like the my eyes are bouncing around when I close them. Maybe you should ask your doctor about BPV. It is troublesome and extreamly irratating and I have only been going through it for a short time.
Hang in there

Old 02-11-2007, 05:30 AM   #6
(female)

noodles3 HB User

Peanut- you might be a candidate for the positional therapy and it does work depending on your diagnosis. I can't benefit from it but I know someone who had relief from it....it might be worth looking into to see if your ear nose and throat doc can offer it to you.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
(female)

midapril HB User

I think I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thank god, I might not be going crazy. I left work early one day completely off balance and confused- couldn't hold a thought in my head, and two months later, I can't say that it is much better. My gyno had prescribed effexor for anxiety shortly before that, and I thought perhaps my decision to discontinue it a week prior had something to do with this brain fog. He said he doubted it, but that two women from his office had gone home early with the same symptoms. He said it may be something viral. This was a little comfort to me, but the anxiety that this has caused has been terrible. I find myself saying off the wall things, having flashes of "Where am I?" FOLLOWED BY THE ANXIETY THAT i'M LOSING MY MIND!!! I can't remember things-EASY THINGS, and its hard to have a conversation, do homework, or read.
I am just now making the connection that this might be inner ear related. I have been experiencing a deep insatiable itch in my right ear for about 2 months, and the cell phone seems to iritate, even burn that ear a little. I thank Jesus for an ear infection- I thought I was brain dead! I haven't seen a doctor about this yet, (other than my gyno), but I will. I couldn't believe this might have something to do with my ear. Sound familiar to anyone?

Old 02-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
(female)

peanut925 HB User

I just tried the positional therapy and I cant tell if it has worked due to having tension migranes that are making me dizzy and of balance

Closed Thread