It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
(male)

makaveli9177 HB User
To all people worried...ADULT TONSILLECTOMY..

It all started towards the middle of 2006 when my girlfriend's family and pretty much everybody else let me know that my tonsil was like 5 times the size of the other one. I am a 20 year old male, healthy, 5'11 and 165 lbs. I saw my doctor who was amazed at the size difference of the 2 and referred me right away to an ENT. I was a little scared but my tonsils have been like this as far back as I can remember. I feel no pain, no strep throat, no tonsillitis, nothing..except for a few common colds, but hey I'm human. So I went to the ENT in the beginning of Septemeber 2006. I saw a great doctor and he looked in my mouth with their little "head microscope thingy" for minutes and was like hmmm...hmmm. He then called in another doctor in the office to get a second opinion. They asked me if I had been getting recurring sicknesses of any kind and I said no, it's just one tonsil is bigger than the other. They said that everything looks fine and that theres probably nothing wrong, but the only way to tell is if they were to perform a tonsillectomy which I DEFINITELY did not want to do. So that visit capped off with the doctor telling me that if I were to see 10 different ENT's, 5 would say leave them in and the other 5 say take them out. So he told me to have a follow up in a few months. I left the office scared of course and searched the internet like crazy...Bad Idea lol. It's only going to scare you. I know this post might be a bit of a read but I know it will touch at least 1 or 2 people who read it . So anyway fast forward to December 5th, 2006. My second appointment, the doctors pretty much said the same exact thing. The only way I can tell is to have a tonsillectomy. And then one of the doctors said what would scare me until today...I might have lymphoma! For those of you who do not know, it is a cancer of the immune system, aka Bad News. So right away I was soooo scared and I thought the only time to have this operation would be during my winter break in college. So I reluctantly scheduled it for January 4th,2007. I was so scared about all of it...the operation, the anestesia, the recovery..especially all the stories I've read. I've never had surgery before in my life so all this was so new to me and I had no clue what to expect. I asked my ENT what method he was going to use for my tonsillectomy and he told me "Cold dissection w/ stitches and a little cauterization". Well heres the recap for all you scared out there.

Day 1 (Pre-surgery & waking up)-

I was so scared I got like 3 hours of sleep the night prior to surgery, I was about to cancel it. But I wound up going because all I could do was pray to god. So I went they stuck the IV in my hand, it's really not that bad for all you needle freaks. If you want to know what it feels like, ask your little sister to pinch you. Thats it. Once it's in you don't feel anything. Then you get an opportunity to talk to your surgeon & anastesiologist. I went into the operating room finally and asked the nurse who was bringing me in if the anestesia was going to hurt and she told me of course not. She said have you ever been watching tv late at night and fighting to stay awake but just cant and wind up passing out. I said yeah and that's what she said it felt like. So I went in, the strapped my legs and arms down, probably for safety precautions. The anestesiologist then said alright Sean, in less than 1 minute your gonna feel like you had a few drinks. Sure enough like 25-30 seconds later I said wow this stuff feels good and thats all I remember....Next thing I know I'm being woken up by a nurse with a oxygen mask over my face telling me to keep breathing. So the initial feeling, yeah it feels like the worst soar throat of your life, but you'll live. If you have a nice nurse, she'll give you pain killers right away. Unfortunately mine was a complete ***** and I had to wait about 35-45 minutes before I was given a percocet. Fortunately the anestesia feeling leaves you feeling dopey and dizzy so it shouldn't be that bad. Anyway, I wound up staying overnight and left the next morning. It sucked yeah, but I was given percocet and morphine shots so you just gotta deal with it and know that It's finally all over!!

Days 2-4-

It sucked, Im gonna be honest. You won't feel like your going to die, it's just extremely irritating because the pain is like a constant trobbing. But if you take your pain killers every 4 hours or however as prescibed, you'll feel great. I wasn't able to talk the first day and used a pen and paper but the dr informed me that I haddd to talk to motivate the troat muscles, so for all you mutes out there...just try. You don't want to go back to the ER..trust me. Just drink plenty of liquids and have someone to take care of you. You will be able to sleep eventually, due to the medications you'll be given...thank god for those. They are your best friend during all of this pain. But by day 3, I was able to swallow easily with little pain. Just got to keep at it, you know? So it feels like I'm on my way to recovery!

Day 5- aka The worst day ever

So I always thought I tasted blood in my mouth but then again I never saw anything and my whole mouth tasted like metal from surgery anyway so I was probably just mixing it up until day 5. My girlfriend noticed a spot of blood on one side of my tonsils, well where they used to be and said it's not dripping so. Then like 1 hour or 2 later it got worse and the blood covered more ground, not bad but definitely there and getting worse so I called my surgeon and went right into his office. He checked it out and sprayed this weird liquid down my throat which numbed it like crazy, also kind of a burning sensation...didn't like it. Anyway he said it was probably the 1st stitch coming out and looked fine...put some medicine on it and sent me home telling me to come back this thursday, the 11th. They said to spit onto a tissue and if I "spit out blood" then it's serious. All was going fine that day and then at about 9 pm I checked my throat again and it was worse than earlier that day. I was soo scared and spit and out came blood like 4 times. I was very ****** and took a cup of ice water with me and went to the Emergency Room. At about 10 pm I was seen by some a**hole DR who told me I shouldn't of came then told me he was going to call my surgeon who did the tonsillectomy. He came back like 10 minutes later saying one of my surgeon's "people" was coming in. A nurse brought out a table with all these tools and crap that scared the hell out of me. I just got out of surgery you know. Anyway my heart was beating soo fast and the DR came in and checked it out and told me he was going to have to "go in there and check it out". So they hooked up a sucker thingy to suck and blood out of my mouth, just like the one a dentist uses. He told me he was going to inject a needle into the area to numb everything up, which you know hurt for about a second...it felt more weird than it did hurting. He stuck me like 5 times and went to work. He told me he was going to "suck the blood clot out" and I was like terrific, I should be at home watching that new "Every1 loves NY show" on VH1 lol. Anyway it's kind of scary to be awake during all of this and I just saw the blood and the blood clot get sucked out through that tube and was like wow this is some scary *****. But then he said it doesnt seem to be anything major and patched it up....that was it!! I thought I was going to have to be re-cauterized. So all in all, yeah it sucked, but the feeling of being relieved that my situation wasn't major was like a euphoria feeling! I just thanked god right away. I then asked him why this happened and he said it happens sometimes. The chances of it happening are 1 out of 50 people. I was like damn why me but then he said that's actually a common ratio to Dr's. He said they do that like once every 2 weeks. So I felt better after hearing that. So STILLLL all in the back of my mind is this lymphoma crap and of course I'm asking everybody in the world about it and asked him what were my chances and he said highly unlikely. He told me he's done about 3,000 tonsillectomies and never had it happen. That made me feel a lot better since nobody was telling me what my chances were and the internet pretty much telling me Im gonna die wasn't helping. So all in all a good night, despite the circumstances.

WHICH BRINGS ME TO TODAY...almost day 6. I got a phone call from my surgeon today who informed me that my histological reports came back everything being benign!!!!!!!! No cancer!! No lymphoma!!! I know theres more people like me out there. They call it "assymetrical tonsils". DON''T BE SCARED! Take it from me please. The chances of that happening are like the chances of Michael Jackson coming out with another hit record. It is possible, but it's not going to happen!! So for all you scared out there like I was for several months, don't be. I feel re-born after all this crap. I still have like another god knows how much in recovery but I feel soooooo much better. I can now go on with my life like everybody else!! If any of you have any questions, just ask me and I'll tell you straight up what's up. GOD BLESSS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
(female)

girlcat41 HB User
Re: To all people worried...ADULT TONSILLECTOMY..

Thank you for this post. I am also having tonsillectomy for one enlarged tonsil( Mar. 1) and SCARED. I was supposed to have this done last year but I cancelled the surgery hoping it would go away. BUT now it's time to find out once and for all what is going on with that tonsil. Glad to hear your pathology came out fine, that is encouraging to me.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
(female)

koda92 HB User
Re: To all people worried...ADULT TONSILLECTOMY..

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli9177 View Post
It all started towards the middle of 2006 when my girlfriend's family and pretty much everybody else let me know that my tonsil was like 5 times the size of the other one. I am a 20 year old male, healthy, 5'11 and 165 lbs. I saw my doctor who was amazed at the size difference of the 2 and referred me right away to an ENT. I was a little scared but my tonsils have been like this as far back as I can remember. I feel no pain, no strep throat, no tonsillitis, nothing..except for a few common colds, but hey I'm human. So I went to the ENT in the beginning of Septemeber 2006. I saw a great doctor and he looked in my mouth with their little "head microscope thingy" for minutes and was like hmmm...hmmm. He then called in another doctor in the office to get a second opinion. They asked me if I had been getting recurring sicknesses of any kind and I said no, it's just one tonsil is bigger than the other. They said that everything looks fine and that theres probably nothing wrong, but the only way to tell is if they were to perform a tonsillectomy which I DEFINITELY did not want to do. So that visit capped off with the doctor telling me that if I were to see 10 different ENT's, 5 would say leave them in and the other 5 say take them out. So he told me to have a follow up in a few months. I left the office scared of course and searched the internet like crazy...Bad Idea lol. It's only going to scare you. I know this post might be a bit of a read but I know it will touch at least 1 or 2 people who read it . So anyway fast forward to December 5th, 2006. My second appointment, the doctors pretty much said the same exact thing. The only way I can tell is to have a tonsillectomy. And then one of the doctors said what would scare me until today...I might have lymphoma! For those of you who do not know, it is a cancer of the immune system, aka Bad News. So right away I was soooo scared and I thought the only time to have this operation would be during my winter break in college. So I reluctantly scheduled it for January 4th,2007. I was so scared about all of it...the operation, the anestesia, the recovery..especially all the stories I've read. I've never had surgery before in my life so all this was so new to me and I had no clue what to expect. I asked my ENT what method he was going to use for my tonsillectomy and he told me "Cold dissection w/ stitches and a little cauterization". Well heres the recap for all you scared out there.

Day 1 (Pre-surgery & waking up)-

I was so scared I got like 3 hours of sleep the night prior to surgery, I was about to cancel it. But I wound up going because all I could do was pray to god. So I went they stuck the IV in my hand, it's really not that bad for all you needle freaks. If you want to know what it feels like, ask your little sister to pinch you. Thats it. Once it's in you don't feel anything. Then you get an opportunity to talk to your surgeon & anastesiologist. I went into the operating room finally and asked the nurse who was bringing me in if the anestesia was going to hurt and she told me of course not. She said have you ever been watching tv late at night and fighting to stay awake but just cant and wind up passing out. I said yeah and that's what she said it felt like. So I went in, the strapped my legs and arms down, probably for safety precautions. The anestesiologist then said alright Sean, in less than 1 minute your gonna feel like you had a few drinks. Sure enough like 25-30 seconds later I said wow this stuff feels good and thats all I remember....Next thing I know I'm being woken up by a nurse with a oxygen mask over my face telling me to keep breathing. So the initial feeling, yeah it feels like the worst soar throat of your life, but you'll live. If you have a nice nurse, she'll give you pain killers right away. Unfortunately mine was a complete ***** and I had to wait about 35-45 minutes before I was given a percocet. Fortunately the anestesia feeling leaves you feeling dopey and dizzy so it shouldn't be that bad. Anyway, I wound up staying overnight and left the next morning. It sucked yeah, but I was given percocet and morphine shots so you just gotta deal with it and know that It's finally all over!!

Days 2-4-

It sucked, Im gonna be honest. You won't feel like your going to die, it's just extremely irritating because the pain is like a constant trobbing. But if you take your pain killers every 4 hours or however as prescibed, you'll feel great. I wasn't able to talk the first day and used a pen and paper but the dr informed me that I haddd to talk to motivate the troat muscles, so for all you mutes out there...just try. You don't want to go back to the ER..trust me. Just drink plenty of liquids and have someone to take care of you. You will be able to sleep eventually, due to the medications you'll be given...thank god for those. They are your best friend during all of this pain. But by day 3, I was able to swallow easily with little pain. Just got to keep at it, you know? So it feels like I'm on my way to recovery!

Day 5- aka The worst day ever

So I always thought I tasted blood in my mouth but then again I never saw anything and my whole mouth tasted like metal from surgery anyway so I was probably just mixing it up until day 5. My girlfriend noticed a spot of blood on one side of my tonsils, well where they used to be and said it's not dripping so. Then like 1 hour or 2 later it got worse and the blood covered more ground, not bad but definitely there and getting worse so I called my surgeon and went right into his office. He checked it out and sprayed this weird liquid down my throat which numbed it like crazy, also kind of a burning sensation...didn't like it. Anyway he said it was probably the 1st stitch coming out and looked fine...put some medicine on it and sent me home telling me to come back this thursday, the 11th. They said to spit onto a tissue and if I "spit out blood" then it's serious. All was going fine that day and then at about 9 pm I checked my throat again and it was worse than earlier that day. I was soo scared and spit and out came blood like 4 times. I was very ****** and took a cup of ice water with me and went to the Emergency Room. At about 10 pm I was seen by some a**hole DR who told me I shouldn't of came then told me he was going to call my surgeon who did the tonsillectomy. He came back like 10 minutes later saying one of my surgeon's "people" was coming in. A nurse brought out a table with all these tools and crap that scared the hell out of me. I just got out of surgery you know. Anyway my heart was beating soo fast and the DR came in and checked it out and told me he was going to have to "go in there and check it out". So they hooked up a sucker thingy to suck and blood out of my mouth, just like the one a dentist uses. He told me he was going to inject a needle into the area to numb everything up, which you know hurt for about a second...it felt more weird than it did hurting. He stuck me like 5 times and went to work. He told me he was going to "suck the blood clot out" and I was like terrific, I should be at home watching that new "Every1 loves NY show" on VH1 lol. Anyway it's kind of scary to be awake during all of this and I just saw the blood and the blood clot get sucked out through that tube and was like wow this is some scary *****. But then he said it doesnt seem to be anything major and patched it up....that was it!! I thought I was going to have to be re-cauterized. So all in all, yeah it sucked, but the feeling of being relieved that my situation wasn't major was like a euphoria feeling! I just thanked god right away. I then asked him why this happened and he said it happens sometimes. The chances of it happening are 1 out of 50 people. I was like damn why me but then he said that's actually a common ratio to Dr's. He said they do that like once every 2 weeks. So I felt better after hearing that. So STILLLL all in the back of my mind is this lymphoma crap and of course I'm asking everybody in the world about it and asked him what were my chances and he said highly unlikely. He told me he's done about 3,000 tonsillectomies and never had it happen. That made me feel a lot better since nobody was telling me what my chances were and the internet pretty much telling me Im gonna die wasn't helping. So all in all a good night, despite the circumstances.

WHICH BRINGS ME TO TODAY...almost day 6. I got a phone call from my surgeon today who informed me that my histological reports came back everything being benign!!!!!!!! No cancer!! No lymphoma!!! I know theres more people like me out there. They call it "assymetrical tonsils". DON''T BE SCARED! Take it from me please. The chances of that happening are like the chances of Michael Jackson coming out with another hit record. It is possible, but it's not going to happen!! So for all you scared out there like I was for several months, don't be. I feel re-born after all this crap. I still have like another god knows how much in recovery but I feel soooooo much better. I can now go on with my life like everybody else!! If any of you have any questions, just ask me and I'll tell you straight up what's up. GOD BLESSS

ok; im only 15; and i have a tonsillectomy tomorrow; those death notes ie. 1 in 15,000, still scare the living **** out of me; i have like a fear of dying tomorrow lol. i know it sounds crazy, but you never know right. but i also want to know something; on a scale of 1-10 how bad is the pain during day 1?
and when can you talk again ?

Closed Thread