It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
(male)

makaveli9177 HB User
Bleeding after tonsillectomy..Day 8+9 Post Op. Advice Please

Hi, I thought everything was going great and I had this little thing on day 5 where I noticed that I was bleeding a little from the left side of where my tonsil used to be and went to the ER and they suctioned off the blod clot and patched it up and I thought the worst of the worst was over....until day 8...I went to the movies, came out after the movie and felt this pain on my right side and drove home to see that my whole right "pocket" where my tonsil used to be was full of blood. Like it looked pretty bad. So I gargled ice water and I wasn't spitting out any blood but it looked pretty damn bad! so I called my ENT and went to the ER AGAIN...So he didn't used the electrical cauterizer but again used that stick thing that seals it up and no more blood was seen. So I thought I was good to go. He told me if I see a little blood, it should be alright. So again at about 2:30 pm today I tasted blood and sure enough it was bleeding again. Not as bad this time...but whats the deal??? Why do I keep bleeding? And when do I know if it's so bad that I mustttt go to the ER. I feel like my Dr probably is so annoyed at me, he sees me like every day now a days lol. Is it the scabs coming off? Is this normal?? I'm still not spitting up any blood and it looks a little better but I'm still nervous as hell?? ANY HELP OR ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATIVE.. Thanks

Old 01-13-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
(female)

cjayfour HB User
Re: Bleeding after tonsillectomy..Day 8+9 Post Op. Advice Please

Are you keeping hydrated? You need about 12 cups of water a day (about 1 or so for every hour your up) to keep up heal. I notice that my bleeding (more like blood tinged salvia and mucus) increased with dehydration. Also when I had my big bleed on day 23 I evacuated the blood clot a few times, before it wasn't there anymore (again not something someone should by themselves). Basically the blood clot holds in blood vessels that are still essentially open and once the clot goes away you bleed. Therefore, you need to get below the blood clot and ligate the blood vessels either chemically, thermally or physically. Until your ENT or the ER doc does that do that, you'll keep bleeding. Is your clot still there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
(male)

makaveli9177 HB User

it's really weird, there was blood earlier and i kept drinking and gargling water and now if someone were to look in my mouth...you couldn't even tell that I was bleeding. I guess my body took care of itself?..I have no clue, but at least I'm not bleeding anymore. My ENT told me that if I bled a little not to worry too much and thats pretty much what I did and thank god it stopped. I can't believe you bled on day 23...thats insane. I hope I'm healed definitely by then. As the water goes, I drink insane amounts of water...like probably 9-13 bottles of poland spring water a day. In the past 5 hours I probably drank like 7 bottles. But I just find it weird and annoying that I keep bleeding. I just want to be back to normal! Thanks for your response...by the way, what happened with day 23 anyway?

Old 01-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
(female)

cjayfour HB User

it's kind of complicated. My family lives in Florida, but I go to school in Atlanta, so I decided to get my tonsillectomy and UPPP done in Florida so my family could take care of me. My med school only gave us a little less than 2 weeks off for Christmas, so my surgeon let me go back to school without a a post-op appointment even though I wasn't eating yet by the time I was supposed to be back at school. Well anyways, school is hard work and I over worked myself and after losing 15 pounds and still not eating by day 22 (I almost passed out a few times) and being in agony in between pain meds I ask my surgeon if I can go to an ENT here in Atlanta to get a post-op evaluation. I luckily got an appointment on day 23 and the Atlanta ENT took out almost all my stiches, and told me to eat solid food. So I had my forst piece of very soft bread later that night and it got caught on a stich that was left and it started to bleed profusely more than two tablespoons. I didn't go the ER because I stopped the bleeding with cold water, but i called my surgeon in Florida and he walked me and my med student roommate how to evacuate the clot and chemically ligate the blood vessel with epinephrine. I'm fine now, but I'm still no eating. I'm living off smoothies and gatorade still and barely functional, but at least I stopped bleeding.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:37 PM   #5
(female)

ebelle HB User

can "normal " people learn how to use epinephrine to stop bleeding?
The ER here is horrible...very third world..

Old 01-16-2007, 07:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

pedicurebelle,

Don't even think about it! Medical professionals only. The only self medicating epinephrine is the shot for allergic aniphlaxis(sp).. anyway use of said epi-Pin would land you in the ER anyway. You are better off with mild saline solutions and ice water. Think of returning home as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 01-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
(female)

cjayfour HB User

Big no! Please don't try what I did. I was just so far away from an ER I might had bleed again before I got to one, and my surgeon made a quick judgement call based on what I had available and a level of skill and training my roommate and the fact that my surgeon called me again 15 minutes later and was going to get a new ENT to meet me in the ER if it didn't work. I also traveled early the next morning to see a new ENT surgeon in GA for a check up. I was just describing my very scary experience as a cautionary tale against socializing and going back to a normal schedule/food too soon! Please listen to what your surgeon says above all else, they know your case the best. I called my surgeon's answering service as soon as I started bleeding. The ER blows but they are your best hope of preventing complications and picking up on things you can't.

Closed Thread