It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
(male)

Ruminator HB User
Please Help - Polyp on back of tongue/throat - complications

Hello all, this is a very serious inquiry, and I welcome any and all feedback.

About four days ago, I thought I had a piece of food stuck in my throat...felt like a popcorn kernel was lodged in the back of my throat at the base of my tongue. It hasn't gone away, and has increased in size. It's not painful or too uncomfortable. It's mildly annoying, but worst of all, has me worried that it could be something serious. I'm 24 years old, and I've been a smoker for 7 years.

I do not have health insurance till February 1st, which is a predicament for the following reason. If I go to a doctor and pay out of pocket now, the health insurance will not cover anything that might need to be done in the future because it would be classified as a previously existing problem. But if I wait till February 1st to get it checked out, I may delay necessary treatment, if, God forbid, it actually is something serious.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Either a growth/polyp on the base of their tongue...or a similar dilemma with insurance coverage? Any comments at all are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Please Help - Polyp on back of tongue/throat - complications

What is the actual size of the mass or growth? Color? Give us a little more to work with.. it could be anything from an inflammed/clogged taste bud to who knows what. However tumors normally take longer.. much longer than four days to manifest.. think on the order of months to years.

On another note. It is pipe smoking and chewing tobacco that are the major causes of mouth cancer.. not cigarettes. Cigarettes fill your lungs with tar and pitch and many other flavorful carcinogens.. leading to emphasema(sp) and lung cancer.

I am betting on a clogged taste bud or inflammed lymph node do to some mouth issue. Teeth and gum trouble can also effect your tongue. You should do a google search on mouth cancer and get some images for comparison. This would allow you to perform your own visual comparison.

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
(male)

Ruminator HB User

MG, thanks for the response.

It's too far back to see. And it's difficult to gauge the size merely by contracting my throat and feeling it shift slightly. I can reach back there with my finger, but only for a second till I gag. But I'd say it's about the size of a BB...no bigger. When I reach back there, it almost feels like there is a cluster of them, but when I swallow, it only feels like one actual polyp/bump/whatever.

Forgive my anatomical ignorance, but are there taste buds all the way back there at the base of the tongue? Are clogged taste buds common?

I figure I'll wait to do something until there is a significant change for the better or worse. Until then, any further input is still appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

It's too far back to see. And it's difficult to gauge the size merely by contracting my throat and feeling it shift slightly. I can reach back there with my finger, but only for a second till I gag. But I'd say it's about the size of a BB...no bigger. When I reach back there, it almost feels like there is a cluster of them, but when I swallow, it only feels like one actual polyp/bump/whatever.

Okay due to size and the cluster effect i would say it sounds like an irritated site of taste buds.. and yes they go all the way back there..

Forgive my anatomical ignorance, but are there taste buds all the way back there at the base of the tongue? Are clogged taste buds common?

Humm.. common? I guess that would depend on your definition of common I have had it happen once maybe twice a year when eating something too spicy or acidic or something I am allergic too or the occasional scrape from a sharp chip shard. The flare up quickly and take a while to go down. Normally the only last a week or two.

An anti-histamine might help.. and if it was in a different location I would say scrape it off. If it is one an inflammed taste bud they hurt.. sting if you scrap over them.

I figure I'll wait to do something until there is a significant change for the better or worse. Until then, any further input is still appreciated. Thanks again

Have you changed your diet recently... what did you do four days/nights ago. Eat anything rough.. chips, etc? I don't think waiting until February 1rst will be that bad.

Respectfully,
MG

Old 01-17-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
(male)

Ruminator HB User

MG,

I took some medicine on Sunday, without water. A small pill, or half of one rather, which gave it a rough edge. Felt like it got lodged in the back of my throat - I drank water afterwards, tried some bread, but it never went away. Just got worse. As for diet change, nothing out of the ordinary.

Come to think of it though, I have had inflamed taste buds before, but usually on a more central part of my tongue. The current problem doesn't really feel the same, although it's difficult to tell since its in a different location, and the back of my throat presses up against it, which adds another sensation.

Most importantly, I think I agree with you about the waiting. My initial concern was that it may be something related to smoking, and that if I don't do anything, it could turn into a serious problem. Hopefully I'm just erring on the side of caution.

Thanks.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruminator,

I took some medicine on Sunday, without water. A small pill, or half of one rather, which gave it a rough edge. Felt like it got lodged in the back of my throat - I drank water afterwards, tried some bread, but it never went away. Just got worse. As for diet change, nothing out of the ordinary.

Depending on the pill, many chemicals can cause a small chemical burn if they get stuck to soft tissues like those coating your throat and tongue. You may have just identified the problem.. especially if, the pill getting stuck was adhered to your tongue back there until it melted enough to fall off. Is the site approximately the same as the pill size? I am 85% sure you are safe to wait.. but I strongly recommed quiting smoking.

My grandparents, all of them, died young from lung cancer.. it is not a pretty or pain free death. I want to go out as a crotchity ninty year old lady, in my sleep; NOT hacking up black tar from my lungs. If you have ever seen someone die from lung cancer, you would drop the cigarettes in an instance. I know it is hard to quit, I am a chemist and chemical engineer , I know chemicals.. and I have looked into the ingrediants in cigarettes, they make them to trap you.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 01-18-2007 at 08:14 AM.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:22 PM   #7
(female)

graceful36 HB User
Unhappy Re: Please Help - Polyp on back of tongue/throat - complications

About the bump in the back of your throat. I had a simiular problem and went to my ENT and it ended up being a tonsil tag. It was in the back on my throat and it felt like it moved around but it was actually on my t onsil. The result, tonsillectomy, Im on day 10 post op.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:06 AM   #8
(male)

Ruminator HB User

Thanks for the replies. It temporarily got worse...flared up for a few days, real sore, irritated. But it seems to have subsided. Definitely still there, and annoying as hell, but just not as aggravating as the minor flare-up.

Any recommendations on how to treat this? Gargle with salt-water? Cepacol? Hold my breath for 95 seconds then do a back twirl? Whatever works.

Closed Thread