It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
(male)

makaveli9177 HB User
How long do you have to wait to safely smoke after TONSILLECTOMY????

I'm on Day 18 Post op of a Tonsillectomy and my Dr cleared me to return to normal activites and I'm eating regularly again... I'm 20 years old by the way but just have one question..when is it safe to smoke again...Can I do it right now?? Or wait a few more days...any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: How long do you have to wait to safely smoke after TONSILLECTOMY????

well if you've gone 18 days, just keep going.....seriously.
I quit smoking for 8 days when I got my thyroid out and everyone kept telling me don't pick it back up again......but stupid me, I did.
It's out of your system now.....don't put it back in!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

You know it takes 21 days to officially break a habit. You're on Day 18. Dude, if you start again now, it would be like getting tackled at the 1 yard line!! Don't do it! This is a perfect time for you to quit for good. For me, the last thing on my mind after all of the pain I suffered was to start smoking again. I thought I would before the surgery, but afterwards, after all of that pain that I felt. No way!

I'm serious, this is a great, great opportunity for you to just not start again. Think of all the money you'll save! Not to mention that you'll live longer because you won't be inhaling all of those 87 known cancer-causing chemicals every time you smoke.

You did something really healthy for yourself by having your tonsils out. That's great! Now continue to honor and respect your body by not starting smoking again. Your entire body, your organs and your throat will thank you very much if you continue on this path. Please don't start smoking again! It's not worth it. Have you ever seen someone with emphysema? I did once. He was literally choking to death from not being able to get enough oxygen. He had an oxygen tank, but even still. Can you imagine suffocating to death? What a horrible way to die, to never be able to breathe again. I don't think that's something I want for myself, and I don't think you want it for yourself, either.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
(male)

makaveli9177 HB User

well I agree about the ciggarettes being a disgusting habit. I've actually never smoked a cig a day in my life. But actually Im going to a party this saturday night and I'll probably want to smoke a joint. so i just want to have fun considering I like didn't even have a winter break and ive been miserable for so long. but now im feeling fine again soooo idk maybe you guys might have a different opinion now lol.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Well, if you look at your throat with a flashlight and it still looks really raw, then I don't think you want to try smoking. I've never smoked weed so I don't know how much it would hurt compared to a cigarette, but I would imagine it wouldn't be very pleasant.

I don't think you should risk it. When the area of your throat is all exposed like that and not completely healed, you might do some damage to it if you smoke too soon. I personally wouldn't advise it. I know you feel like you want to let loose and party, I don't think it's worth it if it will cause you problems afterwards. You never know, it might cause you to bleed, which would truly suck, because then you'd have to get it recauterized while you're awake. Yuck. Not fun.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:57 AM   #6
(male)

panasyncp17 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli9177 View Post
well I agree about the ciggarettes being a disgusting habit. I've actually never smoked a cig a day in my life. But actually Im going to a party this saturday night and I'll probably want to smoke a joint. so i just want to have fun considering I like didn't even have a winter break and ive been miserable for so long. but now im feeling fine again soooo idk maybe you guys might have a different opinion now lol.
I got ripped on day 10. You'll be fine.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

While weed may not have the self destructive properties of cigarettes. It is still unwise in my opinion to use any chemicals as recreational... even weed. I feel smoking anything is an unwise choice. The only thing your lungs are made to process is AIR (approximately 79% Nitrogen and 21% Oxygen). Why can you not have fun with out the weed? What are you going to do when that is no longer fun? Think about it. There are many ways to have good old clean and safe fun.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 01-23-2007 at 08:30 AM.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
(male)

makaveli9177 HB User

Thanks everybody for your opinions. I mean I rarely drink...maybe like 3-5 beers every 3 months. So I think I'm entitled to kick back and enjoy myself. I don't do any hardcore drugs nor have I ever. So when it comes down to it, I think I'm doing pretty damn good in that department. I've seen friends personally take that route so I know the consequences. But weed, it's probably the most harmless drug as it's non-addictive. People may say it's the ever so famous "gateway" drug, but I think if people used that thing inside our heads called a brain, then they can have self control. I've been offered everything you can think of, and I said na I don't do that. So yeah I mean weed can't possibly be healthy for your lungs and this and that...but to do every once in a blue moon at a party, I think I am without a doubt entitled to that. If you think about it, while people say the lungs only break down oxygen and whatever, and it's not supposed to take in anything else....then perhaps we should do a little research. Like the air we breathe...that's got more pollutants than I can count on 10 hands. Next time any body wants to take a trip to the city, think twice as it's probably the equivalence of a joint. Or hey even second hand smoke from ciggarettes...worse than actually smoking them. The smoke that comes out of your car when you warm it up or drive...theres millions of cars on the road..think about it. Pesticides being sprayed, hair spray, cosmetic products. So I do agree with the ciggarettes as being a bad habit, but a person who socially smokes a joint to meee...is absolutely harmless. I think people who eat too many bad things like fast food, and snacks, and candy and all types of harmful products is in a worse condition of that of a moderate joint smoker. So why the country makes marijauan illegal and not fast food is beyondddd me. You know why because they make money off of food...the only reason marijuana isn't legal is because they haven't figured out a way to tax it yet. But everybody has their own opinion...but for all the health freaks out there...if you want to be healthy hey, have fun do your thing...but before you want to give a lesson or discriminate against people who like to have fun, think about what I said. Live Life...Have Fun. You only live once. Mind elevation. Just don't go through those "gates"

Old 01-23-2007, 02:08 PM   #9
(male)

makaveli9177 HB User

can i finish??? .... Can I Fisnish???

.....Ok Im finished

Old 01-23-2007, 09:52 PM   #10
(male)

makaveli9177 HB User

My doctor told me i was 90% healed on January 15th. Today is Jan 23rd, more than a week later. Although Im an adult, I'm a very young adult. I just turned 20 towards the end of September. Therefore, I can't heal as fast as a 10 year old, buttt I do think that I'd heal faster than 90% of most adults. I'm probably the youngest adult I've seen thats posted on this site. I asked my girlfriend and sister of their opinions of my throat and they said it actually looked like a normal healthy throat. I agree as well, I eat like I used to, I've been lifting pretty heavy things at my job and I'm doing just fine. I mean how long does it take to heal completely?? Although this is a "major surgery", it's also one of the most common surgeries in the United States and probably other places around the globe. And On Jan 18th I saw my doctor for the last time and told me that I was cleared to return to normal activities and that would be the last meeting we had unless something serious happened. That leaves me to believe I am fine otherwise he wouldn't have cleared me and also would have set up another follow-up visit. Most people get tonsillectomies due to recurring sicknesses and infections which makes the recovery period longer...also as your age increases the deeper rooted your tonsils get. I am pretty good on the age issue compared to most adults who get this surgery. My tonsils were taken out because one was bigger than the other and they were suspicious...that's all, no sicknesses or infections. All of these circumstances are what I believe allowed me to heal much quicker than most others. How long would you think the open "raw cavaties" take to heal completely?? Because mine definitely don't look raw anymore, their pink just like the rest of my mouth/throat. But I do appreciate the concern, but I think I'll be able to survive.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:34 AM   #11
(female)

cjayfour HB User

I'm not going to moralize about your choice of recreation, however I too was told by my ENT I was 90% healed on day 22 and guess what, on day 23 I bleed over 2 tablespoons and was well on my way back to the OR. If I were you just in case I would wait at least a month. And I'm a very healthy 24 year old. Bleeds major and minor up to a month are not necessarily completely uncommon, so I would just be on the safe side not drink alcohol, eat crusty food or smoke anything for at least a month or two.

Also if you are still on the pain meds, depending on which ones it is you may develop increased tolerance to the pain meds (meaning you need more for relief) or increase the action of your pian meds and make you pass out, depending on what you are on.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:11 PM   #12
(male)

cnsnnts nly HB User

I'm a 22-year old guy and I'm in the same position. I'm only on day 14, but I'm thinking of smoking up again around day 16-17. If you already did, let me know how it went.
Based on the way my throat looks and feels (I'm eating normal foods again, just not too dry; I'm off pain killers) I think it probably won't be a problem for me, but I guess if it's risky I could just make some brownies instead or something.

Oh yeah -- as a thought and advice to anybody else reading this because they're in the same situation: at the very least, instead of smoking a joint or a pipe, use a bong and fill it up with as much ice water as you can without compromising the chamber size too much. The ice water cools down the smoke a lot. The smoke might still irritate, but at least it won't be hot.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:51 AM   #13
(male)

Tanzbaer HB User

You might not smoke a cigarette, but anything that burns still releases cadmium and benzene - and THOSE things do the damage, not the nicotine. The nicotine "just" keeps you hooked.

And since you had that tonsillectomy you had a nice experience of your sensitive throat. Throat cancer might not be so easy to get rid of.

Closed Thread