It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
(female)

ktdid HB User
Angry tonsillectomy today, need answers asap please?

HI,
i had tonsillectomy today. adult.
i was given liquid morphine for pain med. it works to take edge off , neck/jaw/ear pain.
but the raw throat pain doesn't change.
in fact it might even hurt worse after drinking it.
did i mention it is the worst tasting thing ever. no flavoring what so ever.

as for the scabs, when do they turn white? mine are black. i've been drinking plenty of water and gatorade, in fact, i am peeing every 15 minutes.

i've read about using chloreseptic strips for kids. when is it safe to use these?
i don't want to make anything worse.

it is sooooooooooo hard to swallow the water, or even the spit in my mouth.
it feels like i'm swallowing so hard, yet i'm trying to be gentle?
any advice?
thanks!

Old 01-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: tonsillectomy today, need answers asap please?

First if the pain is so bad look into the steriodal shot to help combat the inflamation and pain. Call up and get it through your ENT's office tomorrow. Eight hours later and you will feel a dramatic improvement.

Second I started with the kids strips on day three. I was using my lydocaine gargle as a throat swish and spit on day one. There are also lydocaine lolly pops that others swear by.

Third keep a cold pack on your throat and keep drinking the ice water.

Black scar sites? Sounds like electrocaterization of the tonsil sites. This is more traumatic than the chemical cauterization, but less traumatic than the slash and stitch method.

I am sorry to hear about the pain, but it will lessen as time goes by and the electrical trauma subsides...

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
(female)

ktdid HB User

hi, thanks for the reply,
overnight half of the black turned white. or fell off? not quite sure, don't want to know,
but it sure makes swallowing a whole lot easier

i'm using the ice packs on my neck and it feels great.

i actually didn't take any pain meds today yet. i feel ok to swallow water and gatorade, not sure if i'll try and tackle some cold food today.
i haven't been hungry yet.

it feels kind of good not to be in the drugged up daze.

i know this will change ,and by later today i'll probably need something.

i am not talking though, when i do try and talk, it just makes me feel like i need to cough, i can barely get a word out.

thanks for the reply, good luck to everyone else too!

Old 01-24-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
(female)

graceful36 HB User

I am on day 15 post-op and I didn't feel like living until after day 10. I found this board to be extremely helpful. I found that mkgbrooks is extremely knowledgeable and if you have any questions the board can't answer, ask her. Without her comments I don't think I would have made it.

Some things that helped me cope:
1. ice pack to my neck whenever the pain was extreme and I couldn't take my medicine yet.
2. a chart of when I can take my medicine
3. The lollipops were a miracle in between medicine times. Be very careful with the pops you can only have it in your mouth up to 1 minute. Read the instructions. You will need a RX for them.
4. You might need to sleep sitting up because your uvula will swell and make you snore quite loudly, and you will feel more rested.
5. The most important thing is to drink water all the time and to REST.
6. Read and send a copy of the LisaMP's Adult Guide to a Tonsillectomy, it is very helpful.

Good luck, it will be over soon.

Last edited by graceful36; 01-24-2007 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
(male)

MattinLA HB User

I'm scheduled to have mine on February 5th...(and - of course - after reading everything here... am beyond estatic with excitement ... hahaha) ...anyways... I'm here in the States... just met with my Doc yesterday to go over questions, anxieties, etc.

when I mentioned the possibility of maybe needing a steroid shot during the de-scabbing process... while said he wasn't fully against it.. he did say that usage of steroids actually slows down the healing process... so... something for me to think about.

Also... he was really emphatic on me sticking to cold stuff the first 10 days... and not even attempting food... but strictly (non-dairy) smoothies, sorbet, etc. On that note... question to those of you who've been through it: which fruit juices (if I'm going to be mixing my own fruit drinks/smoothies, etc) did you find are more palpable... don't burn as much?

also... my doc told me he finds that when it comes to painkillers ... compared to Vicodin.. he finds that Tylenol 3 with codeine a little more effective for the pain, overall... (plus... he prescribes the numbing gargle as well.) Anyways... if any of you could offer feedback .. that'd be great

Last edited by MattinLA; 01-24-2007 at 03:07 PM.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Yes.. you had electrocartorization method then. The blackened raw flesh heals over pretty quick into the white terry cloth textured scars with in two days... so you are right on schedule. My brother's recovery took right at 14 days with this procedure, but post operation fatigue and lathargy lasted about two weeks longer.

Graceful36 and MattinLA give you some pretty good advice. I have tried to compile the rest in LisaMP's guide. I hope your recovery is going well.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 01-26-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
(female)

ktdid HB User

i had my surgery on tuesday, and it is now friday.
feeling ok, not the greatest, but can't complain too much after what i've read on here.haha.
just been drinking water, gatorade, jello and broth.
today i did try one of those campbells soup in hand things. it was velvety potato .
i wasn't sure if i should have it, since it was creamy, but i needed something that wasn't sweet. and it was very savory and delicious. it had tiny specks of potatoes in it that made it down with water sips regularly. however. i'm not sure if i could even attempt to try mashed potatoes or mac n cheese yet. it just seems like i can't push the food down, nevermind the pain.
the soup didn't hurt in the beginning, but by the end of it, it started to sting a bit. so i'd recommend only eating half. little amounts at a time.
i haven't taken any more pain meds, because i can stand the taste of liquid medicine. and i have been ok. i figured i'd take them no matter what if the really bad ear pain sets in.

last night in the middle of the night i woke up with the ear pain. i thought, oh no, here it is, but it didn't last very long, and so far today no more.

has anyone taken tylenol pills? i feel like i could use just a little tylenol for pain, but hate the liquid. i'm just afraid to take a pill. want to know if anyone tried it? and when is too early.

thanks again for all the tips and pointers. hope everyone is feeling better soon

Old 01-26-2007, 08:27 PM   #8
(female)

newsgirl29 HB User

I am 29-years-old (woman) and just had my tonsils and adnoids out Jan. 10. I won't lie. It's pretty miserable, and I still don't feel very well, but you can endure it. Some posts on other sites really frightened me with horror stories. I had nothing so traumatic I couldn't handle it.

Five days after my surgery I did end up in the ER for terrible head aches and neck pain as well as throat pain that got pretty unbearable. I was dehydrated. They did give me a steroid shot which helped the swelling alot. Also got some fluid and morphine. And they switched my pain meds from Percoet to Vicodin, which helped control my pain better.

Anyway, I'm on day 16. I still have some scabs and minor throat pain. And I've lost some of my taste. Also I'm seeing a chiropractor because my neck muscles got screwed up while they had my head tipped back during the surgery. My muscles were in spasms and causing headaches. The treatments are helping.

Best advice I can give:
1) Drink a ton, even if it hurts. It feels worse if you don't. I found water, Gatorade, apple juice, grape juice and that Vitamin Water stuff to be the best. After a couple of days, warm herbal tea and chicken broth were also good.
2) Sleep propped up. It helps with your breathing. And sleep as much as you can.
3) Use an ice pack on your neck. It helps with the swelling and cuts down on the pain a bit.
4) If you notice neck pain or headaches at the back of your head, tell your doctor.

After about 9 days I started eating very soft foods. Apple sauce, mac and cheese, pudding, chicken noodle soup that had very small bits of carrots and chicken cooked down to nothing. As I felt up to it, I started adding more things like baked potatos. I'm still not back to my normal eating/drinking habits, but I'm getting better. I still have some scabs, so I can't have any alcohol or anything spicy yet.

Good luck. You will get through it!

Old 01-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #9
(female)

sheshe238 HB User
Wink Re: tonsillectomy today, need answers asap please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdid View Post
i had my surgery on tuesday, and it is now friday.
feeling ok, not the greatest, but can't complain too much after what i've read on here.haha.
just been drinking water, gatorade, jello and broth.
today i did try one of those campbells soup in hand things. it was velvety potato .
i wasn't sure if i should have it, since it was creamy, but i needed something that wasn't sweet. and it was very savory and delicious. it had tiny specks of potatoes in it that made it down with water sips regularly. however. i'm not sure if i could even attempt to try mashed potatoes or mac n cheese yet. it just seems like i can't push the food down, nevermind the pain.
the soup didn't hurt in the beginning, but by the end of it, it started to sting a bit. so i'd recommend only eating half. little amounts at a time.
i haven't taken any more pain meds, because i can stand the taste of liquid medicine. and i have been ok. i figured i'd take them no matter what if the really bad ear pain sets in.

last night in the middle of the night i woke up with the ear pain. i thought, oh no, here it is, but it didn't last very long, and so far today no more.

has anyone taken tylenol pills? i feel like i could use just a little tylenol for pain, but hate the liquid. i'm just afraid to take a pill. want to know if anyone tried it? and when is too early.

thanks again for all the tips and pointers. hope everyone is feeling better soon
I absolutely understand your ear pain. I have had extreme pain in the right ear for about 6 days now. Evertime I wake up, or every 4 hours when my pain meds start to wear off. Here's what I have done so far. I either take 1 vike and a 500mg extra strength rapid replease Tylenol geltab when the pain is so-so, If it gets really bad, I take 2 vikes. Also for nausea, try a 25mg of Benadryl.. works like a charm, especially if you aren't eating so well. I have been swallowing pills from day 1 and I am on day 8 and personally think it may be better than the liquid. And this may sound weird but the best food that I have found to swallow is shaved turkey breast that I dip in Miracle Whip. Yummy! I am going to go try some apple sauce now and then go to the store later to get a humidifier and maybe some ceptacol throat lozenges... I heard they work but I am not sure if I should take them. Good luck all!!

Last edited by sheshe238; 01-27-2007 at 08:16 AM.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:00 AM   #10
(male)

djc430 HB User

I just made the "38 year old" post. Read it.
Your scabs will turn white tonight and tomorrow.
I used tylenol 3 with codeine, liquid, and it was a miracle drug. Ask your doctor for it. He'll probably do anything to help you with the pain.
Keep dringing the water. If your having problems, take smaller sips.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #11
(female)

newsgirl29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshe238 View Post
I absolutely understand your ear pain. I have had extreme pain in the right ear for about 6 days now. Evertime I wake up, or every 4 hours when my pain meds start to wear off. Here's what I have done so far. I either take 1 vike and a 500mg extra strength rapid replease Tylenol geltab when the pain is so-so, If it gets really bad, I take 2 vikes. Also for nausea, try a 25mg of Benadryl.. works like a charm, especially if you aren't eating so well. I have been swallowing pills from day 1 and I am on day 8 and personally think it may be better than the liquid. And this may sound weird but the best food that I have found to swallow is shaved turkey breast that I dip in Miracle Whip. Yummy! I am going to go try some apple sauce now and then go to the store later to get a humidifier and maybe some ceptacol throat lozenges... I heard they work but I am not sure if I should take them. Good luck all!!
Sheshe, I tried both the Ceptacol and Sucrets (which I used to love when I had strep or tonsilitis). My doctor said they were fine to try, but they didn't really help me in the first week or so. After about 10 days or so, when the bad pain subsided, then they started to provide some extra relief. Though my doctor also recommended swallowing alot post-op, and those certain make you swallow!

Closed Thread