It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
(female)

ktdid HB User
thrush after adult tonsillectomy

hi, i had my tonsillectomy on the 23rd, so i am on day 10 i am feeling pretty good, still not eating much, but not taking any pain meds.
i finished my liquid antibiotic yesterday.

i am beginning to think i may have oral thrush. my tongue has the white coating.
i have been brushing teeth/tongue, and swishing mouthwash, but no luck. there is nothing on my cheeks or gums though.
i have been eating yogurt the past few days to try and get rid of it.
but no luck.
does the yogurt just prevent it, or will it help take care of it?

i go to the doctor on saturday for my followup, so i guess i'll just wait till then to see him.
anything i can do to help it? does it sound like thrush to you? how long does it last?
any advice would be great. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
(female)

Babe70 HB User
Re: thrush after adult tonsillectomy

Hi

I had my surgery on 24th Jan and am still on a course of antibiotics for infection (the first course did nothing!). I too have oral thrush on my tongue and down my throat and it is sooooo painful - probably worse than the sore throat! I cannot tolerate alot of foods - well MOST foods - as it stings so much but my doctor prescribed Nystan drops, four times a day and I have started on those so I will let you know how I get on. I have heard yoghurt helps but I tried it and it made the mucus in my throat worse!

I am so hungry and fed up - I can't wait to feel better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2007, 07:22 AM   #3
(female)

ebelle HB User

I had thrush during my surgery. I knew it because I had been on antibiotics for two years prior to the operation daily and I had a history of fungal infections. I googled thrush and got pics of what thrush looks like ...My dr precribed me nystatin which is an oral suspension...

But dont worry though. Its probably not thrush. Its most probably just the regular white tongue you get from poor diet and not brushing teeth/tongue...just aksk your dr for a culture to make sure of what it is.

Someone on this board says that diflucan (the pill you take for yeast infections should cover oral thrush as well)..

Old 02-05-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
(female)

Babe70 HB User

Hi ktdid

Just an update. I have been taking the Nystan drops four times a day and my thrush has cleared up and eating is now a more pleasant experience! Apart from the fact that I still can't swallow certain foods the sting has now gone and it is so much better. I can drink orange juice now without wincing!

My throat is still cloggy! I can only describe it as being like I have a huge hairball stuck down there! Its still a little sore but I am just about coming to the end of my antibiotics and I knew that recovery could be slow.

I hope you are feeling better.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
(female)

ktdid HB User

hi,
i had my followup appt on sat . the dr said he didn't think it was thrush, tongue was just probably white from not eating / drinking enough.
that made me feel better.
and little by little ,the white is going away.
i'm feeling so much better yesterday and today@! (i am at two weeks today) i was finally able to eat a semi normal meal. meatloaf/ mashed potatoes. and cooked carrots.
however the food stuck in one of the wholes

hope everyone is feeling better!

Old 02-06-2007, 04:18 AM   #6
(female)

Babe70 HB User

Hi

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I can sympathise with the food getting stuck, I had fish last night and got some stuck in my left hole! I have earache today but nothing major and am finally beginning to feel normal again!

Closed Thread