It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
(female)

jillbean22 HB User
Question Pre Op Tonsillectomy Meds?

I was given information from my ENT regarding taking (or not taking rather) drugs prior to surgery. They list all kinds of aspirin, Advil, etc. It says I should not take these two weeks prior to surgery for clotting reasons, I'm assuming. I'm scheduled for surgery on the 26th (9 days) and am fighting a terrible cough/cold. I was taking the cough syrup thinking I was fine b/c it doesn't have any ibuprofen, aspirin. However, I just read on the information to inform your doctor if you are going to have surgery after/while taking this medicine. It mainly contains Guaifensien (Sp?) mucus thinner and codeine? Anyone know if this is a problem? I'm definitely calling the ENT on Monday to confirm, but wondering if anyone knows for sure why the warning on the prescription handout? Hope this makes sense..would love any insight.

Oh, I checked the list and it doesn't mention not taking cough medicine on my paperwork from ENT.
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Pre Op Tonsillectomy Meds?

Yes, it is because the drugs thin your blood. I have arthritis and had to stop my meds several days before having my gallbladder removed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2007, 10:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

You need to stick to pure psuedophedrine and just dry it up. I was on almost the max dosage of both psuedophedrine and guan... I had three episodes of bleeding. No one told me to stop the expectorant.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 02-21-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
(female)

jillbean22 HB User

MG - Do you think the guaf and pseudophedrine contributed to your bleeding episodes? I can't remember from your other posts, did you ever have to go back into the OR to get the bleeding to stop?

Old 02-23-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I had to go to the ER and my ENT's office. I never had additional anesthesia or an actual OR visit. I had to have two different re-chemical cauterizations.. one for each side. I am unsure if it was my decongestant of the fact that I had a really bad case of thrush. I would say it wouldn't hurt to play it safe and stick to the pure psuedophed.

Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread