It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 02:16 AM   #1
(female)

MRS_SMiTH HB User
Exclamation I need encouragement....tonsillectomy and MORE...

So im brand new to this board, i usually post on another website, but i thought id try and find some comfort here. So HI! Im Crystal!

I am having surgery on Friday, and im so flipping scared, its unreal. I have to have a tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, deviated septum repair, sinus surgery (im not familiar with that one's name, but my ENT said he is basically going to poke drainage holes in my sinus', so for lack of better words, we'll just call it Sinus surgery ) and finally, tubes in my ears.

OH MY GOSH...this is really going to suck, and im so scared for the pain. Now, my husband is wonderful, but we also have an (almost) 8 month old, that he will also need to be taking care of, on TOP of me. Im sure he'll do a great job, but gosh im so nervous, i get all shakey and light-headed when i talk about it, but i need to hear what im going to be in for, so i can be prepared. My ENT said that it is going to be the worst possible pain ever, because my throat is going to be sore, and on top of that it is going to be dry as well, because i will have packing in my sinus's.

Has anyone gone through this? And if you have, please tell me its not going to be that bad? please?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: I need encouragement....tonsillectomy and MORE...

Crystal,
The answer to your question is YES, I have been there and done that recently. However, my sinus surgery was a little more extensive than a septoplasty and frontal sinus window insertion.

I posted my recovery diary and all that I had done in the LisaMP's Guide stickied to the top of this page. Yes it is going to be rough and you might want to see if a grandparent or additional relative can come and baby/momsit for the first seven days.

I was unable to have my sinuses packed.. and in some ways wished they were, but since all four sets of my sinus cavities were scraped opened widened hole punched.. let's just say completely roto-rootered, it had to be left open to drain. The ear tubes will give you an annoying dripping sensation in the ears, but not be painful at all in comparison with the throat. Your tonsillectomy is going to hurt like Hades and will mask the adnoid pain and any ear tube pain.. the pain from the rest will not become apparent until the tonsil wound sites no longer plague you.

Luckily the sinus cavaties do not have a lot of nerves , thus once the tonsillectomy recovery is well underway and its pain has subsided you will just fill stuffy and have a mother of a headache.

1) Drink as much water as you can. Force it 100+ ounces a day at least. The more you swallow the quicker you throat will heal, consider it physical therapy for your throat.

2) Keep an eye out for constipation, have suppositories on hand.. the oral doesn't always work for some reason.

3) Lay back and sleep on an incline for at least the first 7-10 days.. I did it for 21 days.. lying flat made my head hurt worse.

4) Keep meal replacement shakes handy.. avoid highly acidic foods (OUCH!). Eat food as you feel you can.. have lots of water handy to help wash it down and chew it as fine as possible.

5) DO NOT Bend over! Do you best to keep that nose in the air.. if you bend forward it tends to promote bleeding in the sinuses (Yep, Been there done that.. with out packing it can get really messy. We were glad our couch was a dark green.) and light headedness.

6) Lukewarm baths and showers only.. hot ones.. more bleeding in the sinuses and an increase in bleeding in the tonsil beds.

7) Check into getting a steriodal shot or dose pack.. irritation and inflammation due to all your procedures is going to make breathing difficult, the steriods will help dramatically with the pain and swelling.

8) Make sure to look out for thrush and infection. If you wonder about oral thrush it makes everything ten times worse and is well defined at many google accessable sites.

9) Take it easy and rest. I did it with a four year old, that couldn't understand why Mommy was not able to give him Mommy time or serve as his trampoline for a while.. Grandma was a life saver and stepped in wonderfully. At least your child will not be as aware that Mommy is in pain, and I am sure you husband will step up admirably.

10) As soon as it is possible use your saline nasal spray, it will make a HUGE difference. Simple Saline's despenser is stages above many of the other saline solutions dispensers.

Best of Luck on your surgery tomorrow. I will be around, and checking in on you. Feel free to reply here or post on the LisaMP Guide. There are thousands out there that have had one or a combination of the procedures you are about to have.. all are very good about lending advice and a computer shoulder to cry on.

Respectfully Yours,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 02-20-2007 at 08:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 01:35 AM   #3
(male)

MattinLA HB User

Hi.. Mrs. Smith,... I - like you - freaked out from reading these boards before my surgery. I can only quote from my experience...(I did not have sinus surgery... but I recently did have the tonsillectomy ... and my tonsils were majorly infected) ...

Anyways... while there was pain... and it was difficult... it was in no way anywhere near bad as from what I had read or... and - in turn - anticipated.

I can't stress enough, however... drink TONS ...I mean TONS of water...right from day 1. At least 3 liters/day. (And drink it cold... helps with the swelling) ... I suggest Smart Water... it has the added electrolytes which you'll need. And suck on ice when you're not drinking water. For me ... hands down... the worst of the experience was in the first few days.
I kept anticipating the 'great pain' you read about here about the descabbing... when my scabs came off...(which for me wasn't until day 9) ... it wasn't that horrible.. except that I chugged something with citrus shortly after... and the pain from that... I don't even wanna talk about... (point is: I learned the hard way to avoid that for awhile.)

Also ... what I do believe was key to my recovery was that my Doc was VERY strict about for the first 10 days after my surgery of SOLEY being on a diet of ALL COLD, NON-DAIRY things.. so it was basically smoothies, sorbet, popsicles, jello... (the cold and the cold water all keeping the swelling down AND reducing chance of bleeding.)
Can I just tell you... that what was the worst part of the experience for me was not being able to eat and be starving most of the time!!!! ... seriously ... lol... I couldn't comfort everything else I was going through with food. I kept thinking (prior to surgery) ... "oh ... I probably won't have much of an appetite." WRONG ... I was hungry, and not being able to eat made the whole experience WAY more miserable. But... it's funny how very fast the whole thing becomes just one more memory... and you're suddenly past it.

Hey mkgbrook ... if you're reading ... I wanted to ask you:
I'm like 16 days since my surgery... all is pretty good... except... in the place/spaces where my tonsils were... I still have a good amount of what looks like white film/mucous often. Did you have that for a while ... still do? Also... the tissue/area in the front part of my throat ... on the sides... before the back of the throat... that's where it seems a bit swollen and sometimes sensitive still. (My Doc DID say it does, in fact, take a full month for the throat to fully heal.) I, Just curious if you had the mucous/film in those areas for a few weeks afterwards ... as well as any sensitivity/slight pain/swelling in those tissues/areas around the sides of the throat.

Thanks, Matt

Last edited by MattinLA; 02-21-2007 at 01:40 AM.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
(female)

Jade_Kelly HB User

About the tonsillectomy:

Don't drink COLD water, it doesn't take any swelling, it causes the jaw to ache due to nerves that have been effected, stick to luke warm water.

Sleep elevated, or the referred pain from your throat will worsen to your ears.

Don't go out for at least two weeks, it knocks it out of you, and wears you out.

Hope this helps, it was the advice I was given :]

Old 02-21-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I beg to differ on the cold water comment.

Basic properties of thermodynamic heat transfer have proven that swelling, blood clotting, and a reduction of blood flow can be achieved through the application of cold/ice to and around a warm body. Thus drinking ice water will help reduce your chance of bleeding and have a anti-inflamatory effect.

The nerves and aching of the jaw has been attributed to the stretching and long term locking of the jaw in an open position to allow adequate access to your mouth during surgery. Also as inflammation increases more nerves will be pinched and aggrevated. To help with the muscle and jaw ache, you need to chew.. it hurts initially, but in a matter of a day, chewing gum will have a dramatic effect.

Ear pain is directly linked to the swelling and pinching of a specific nerve bundle at the back of your jaw.. steriodal doses and/or lydocaine ear drops can relieve a significant portion of the pain.

Sleeping elevated is a good idea, because of surgery induced elevation in sinus drainage and swelling reduced airflow capabilities.

Respectfully Yours,
MG

Old 02-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

To Matt:
" Hey mkgbrook ... if you're reading ... I wanted to ask you:
I'm like 16 days since my surgery... all is pretty good... except... in the place/spaces where my tonsils were... I still have a good amount of what looks like white film/mucous often. Did you have that for a while ... still do? Also... the tissue/area in the front part of my throat ... on the sides... before the back of the throat... that's where it seems a bit swollen and sometimes sensitive still. (My Doc DID say it does, in fact, take a full month for the throat to fully heal.) I, Just curious if you had the mucous/film in those areas for a few weeks afterwards ... as well as any sensitivity/slight pain/swelling in those tissues/areas around the sides of the throat."

I was a mucus factory. Each procedure has a slightly different heal time, but for the most part your scabs will sluff off and reform over and over again. Each time this occurs the scab gets thinner and thinner.

Does this lingering whiteness appear streaky with pink strips of healthy flesh visible? If so you are healing nicely. Swelling took a good while to completely go away and now because one of my tonsils was twice the size as the other my uvula and soft pallet hang lopsided back there..

I am.. let me think.. Nov 17th, Dec 17th, Jan 17th, Feb 17th... officially four months post operation. My tonsil wound sites have been visible clear and swelling free for about 2.5 to 3 months. The scabs visibly thinned and disappeared all together some where around day 21. My sinuses are about 80% healed and will hopefully be 100% at my six month post operation visit. It takes time to recover and heal you are doing fine.

On the upside.. My son and I have not had a sinus/ear infection or episode of strep throat since our surgeries. My son has graciously brought home and shared the flu twice and the rotavirus once. Overall your health should dramatically improve.

Best of luck on you continued recovery.

Respectfully Yours,
MG

Old 02-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
(male)

MattinLA HB User

Hello MKGbrook ... thanks for the info. I got a bit discouraged because I had had no soreness at all... and then all of a sudden a bit of soreness in the past few days ...almost that akin to a bit of a sore throat. Only thing I can think of is that I went back right after 2 weeks to normal eating... and maybe I aggravated some of the newer tissue... but my Doc had me gargling with this anti-biotic gargle 3x/day ... anyways... I will see him today! -Thanks, again, for your time!! Matt

Last edited by MattinLA; 02-21-2007 at 12:05 PM.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
(female)

Babe70 HB User

Hi Crystal

I agree that cold water is lovely and LOTS of it! Drinking through a straw helped as water was going up my nose without it! Saying that though, I could NOT tolerate ice cream or yogurt, it just produced too much mucus and made my throat feel much worse. Ice lollies (or popsicles as you call them) were great, as was crushed ice. I bought some vaseline before my operation as my lips cracked and got so dry and the vaseline was a god send at keeping my lips moist. I also slept upright for about 2 weeks as it was so comfortable and helped with the swelling. I have a V shaped pillow and it went everywhere with me (around the house) for two weeks! I didn't go out for over two weeks as I had a bad infection but that was due to my tonsils being infected when they took them out. Just make sure you take your medication and don't be afraid to ask for something stronger if you need it, I did and it was great, I slept so well! I still had scabs too on one side over two weeks later but my GP told me that this is normal. I went back to work on Monday and am now four weeks post op and, although I am tired and my throat is still a little thick, am feeling a hell of a lot better.

Stick with it, it is amazing how quick the time goes and how soon you will feel better. I am just glad that no more strep throat/tonsillitis. I would much rather go through this once than have to put up with that the whole year through!

Good luck for Friday xx

Old 02-21-2007, 09:15 PM   #9
(male)

hp8 HB User

Why are there so many people posting they are having a tonsillectomy and sinus surgery done at the same time. Is it just a coincidence that they have nasal obstruction and problems with tonsils.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp8 View Post
Why are there so many people posting they are having a tonsillectomy and sinus surgery done at the same time. Is it just a coincidence that they have nasal obstruction and problems with tonsils.
I blame my mother. She gave my brother and I our sinus structures.. we both had to have our heads worked on.. My son can blame me.. he has already had the adnoids and tonsils removed. My ENT says he will see us back when my son is 16 to fix the sinuses if they are still like mine. I am hoping his will grow a bit more and lessen the need for it.

Why? Maybe we are living in a world with more pollutants and irritants keeping our bodies in immune overdrive. Top it off that we are using so many anti-bacterial agents and thus creating surviving super bacteria.. things are getting harder to kill.

It is truely a guessing game.

Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread