It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
(female)

Froggiegirl HB User
Adult Tonsil Question

I am a 44-year-old female, nonsmoker, nondrinker who has had an enlarged right tonsil for years. I get occasional right sided sore throats and ear discomfort. In the past I had tonsil stones but none for a while.

Although this does not really cause much of a problem, everything I have read online about unilateral tonsil enlargement points to such horrible things as lymphoma and squamous cell carcinoma. My mom has lung cancer and dad has had a few squamous cell skin cancers. With such a family history, this makes me a bit "cancerphobic."

I know this message board is no substitute for professional medical care, but I am interestsed to get other opinions. If it were you, would you go to an ENT or just forget about it? Thank you in advance for your input.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:00 AM   #2
(female)

txmomof3 HB User
Re: Adult Tonsil Question

Although you probably have nothing to worry about, I would get it checked out. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing...and if there were to be something wrong you would want to start treatment immediately. A trip to the ENT is well worth the time and money.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I concur.

Enlarged tonsils at your age, tonsils stones, and reoccuring sore throats and mild infections are medical grounds for tonsil removal. We don't need the tonsils anyway.. so if you have to have them yanked the sooner the better.

Look into the best ENT in town and go for a consultation. I went to the one that was certified and is the premiere pediatric ENT in my area. He was up on all the current, less invasive techniques and only performs surgery when absolutely necessary. Just some additional food for thought here.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 02-26-2007, 03:14 PM   #4
(female)

girlcat41 HB User

I am 41 non-smoker, generally good health, having tonsillectomy March 1st for unilaterel enlargement. The left side is waaaay bigger than the right. It has been for about 18 mos. I had tonsillitis twice in 3 years; the second bout causing the enlargement. Before that, I never had throat problems, and I have never had strep throat. This is the 5th time I have rescheduled this surgery because like you I wasn't sure if it was cause for concern and painful surgery. I have not been able to get much info on these boards re: unilateral enlargement but it is the opinion of 3 ENTs that it needs to come out and they don't take this lightly so it's coming out. I had my pre-op today and surprisingly the doctor gave me the option of him only taking the one tonsil out. Now I have a big decision to make within the next 48 hours. Also rather than a sore throat my biggest syptom is fatigue beginning with the first bout 3 years ago. The doctor said this could be caused by a cyst in my tonsil and may end once the tonsil is out. Get this checked out and likely the will want to remove it. I tried acupuncture, homeopathy and chinese medicine as well to cure this, obviously they didn't work.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #5
(female)

Froggiegirl HB User

Thank you for your replies. I know I should have it checked out and will probably schedule an appointment soon. Girlcat41, good luck on your surgery. Let me know how it goes and if you decide to have one or both tonsils removed.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:20 AM   #6
(female)

Christyd79 HB User

PLEASE do make an appointment to have this checked. My aunt at around age 50 had extreme swollen glands in one side of her neck. She was found to have squamous cell carcinoma in her tonsil. She had a tonsillectomy with lymph node dissection and radiation. She is fine now. This is not meant to scare you but please listen to your body and see your doctor. Good Luck.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
(female)

girlcat41 HB User

Frooggie-- back from tonsillectomy----Sad to say it was a tumor. More later

Old 03-01-2007, 02:21 PM   #8
(female)

Froggiegirl HB User

I have an appointment with an ENT on Friday March 9.

Girlcat41, I am sorry that it was a tumor. When your are up to posting, I would love to hear details. Take care of yourself and feel better soon.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Girlcat,

I also am sorry to hear about the tumor. Hopefully they were able to extract it all and it was benign. I am sending my prayers and best wishes to you and yours.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 03-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
(female)

girlcat41 HB User

they said it was cancerous

Old 03-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #11
(female)

Froggiegirl HB User

Girlcat41, I am so sorry to hear that. You are in my thoughts. What is the next step? How are you feeling from the surgery?

Old 03-03-2007, 12:56 PM   #12
(female)

girlcat41 HB User

I just posted in my pain meds thread about recovery so far(ended up in ER today). I will start radiation very shortly--success rate 90% Between my Fiancee and my ex-husband! I have a very good support system and they have begun researching for me.I did have a cat scan today which showed my lungs were clear of tumors. Tues. I go back to the doctor. Thank you for your thoughts!

Old 03-04-2007, 09:04 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlcat41,
I am glad to hear of the positive probabilites. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and sending my best wishes your way. Good luck. Sincerely,
MG

Old 03-05-2007, 06:25 AM   #14
(female)

girlcat41 HB User

Thank you so much! I have Dr. appt tomorrow.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #15
(female)

Sunshine0777 HB User

I am a 28 year old female and I am schedualed to have my tonsils out on Friday 3/9. Wow, am I freaked out!! I have been reading the postings for a little over an hour and have found a lot of great advice that I will utilize in the next couple of weeks. Thank you so much for all the information.

Closed Thread