It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
(female)

pichuu123 HB User
Tonsil stones,what are they?

Does anyone know why we get them and what exactly are they made from; food?
Just yesterday a.m. I had something come out smelling terrible and because I have read some of the past posts I think thats what I had coughed out. yuk!!
Where do they come from??
Do I need to have my tonsils out?

Old 03-25-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
(female)

Daisysmom HB User
Re: Tonsil stones,what are they?

Tonsil stones are just that... food particles. Why we get them is anyone's guess. Whether or not you need your tonsils out would depend on how often you get them, how large your tonsils are and how often yours get infected. I am assuming that since you didn't know what it was, this isn't a common occurance for you. You probably don't need surgery unless there is something we don't know. Check with your doctor to be sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2007, 10:57 AM   #3
(female)

pichuu123 HB User
Re;Daisysmom on Tonsil stones

OMG, Thank-you for the info. my only concern is about the tonsil stones is are they part of an infection I had back in Dec. of 2005 and con,t into 2006.
I ended up in the E.R with a bad infection called Osteomyelitis with a strep viridian (usually it's called staph)the end results was I ended up with removal of my left collar bone and the sternum was scrapped with a huge mass deep in my chest, all removed through surgery and a hospital stay of about three wks. because of pain meds. I have not much memory of this hospital stay.
I was sent to an infectious disease doc. and all he suggested was to go to a dentist since the infection was a strep from the mouth area, I have had ex-rays done and nothing has jumped out at the dentists, wondering which path to travel on now.
In the past I have had tonsil stones but was unsure what they were and most recently I had another, could the strep Osteomyelitis be from bacteria caused by the tonsil stones.
After being home from hosp. visit a few days the pain meds. wore off and it was/is very painful the loss of my clavical bone is very disabling and causes much pain still, I'm sure I can handle the pain of having the tonsils out.
Any suggestions? Or insights?

Old 03-29-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
(female)

looneybin HB User
Re: Re;Daisysmom on Tonsil stones

I too get those nasty smelling stones in my tonsils, have for years! Sometimes they pop out from behind the tonsil, and sometimes I feel them, look in my throat and seem them popping out ot the middle of my tonsil. I was told by my ENT that it was a chronic tonsilitis in which small amounts of pus from the tonsil will be produced and then harden until it eventually works its way out. I was told that if it really bothers me that the only thing I could do is have tonsils removed, but since it only happens every few weeks or so, I just deal with it. I don't think it poses any risk to you to not do anything but it's a personal decision. Good luck!

Old 03-30-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
(female)

pichuu123 HB User

Thank-you for your post,if at all possible I'm going to try to see a ENT doc to figure things out, since all things are connected this may be the doc. for my answers.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I had doctors in the past also tell me it was old food; but when my ENT removed my tonsils, he indicated that one side was worse than the other. Right side he removed tissue the size of a golf ball. He said that my tonsils were filled with that stuff and the INFECTION went quite deep. My tonsils were chronically infected and no amount of oral antibiotic was going to get rid of that stuff. Nasty!

Old 03-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
(male)

jazzys2 HB User

So here's my take on Tonsil Stones, Im now 27 years old and ive been getting them since my teens. Id go through bouts when I'd get one once in awhile and then not have any for months. I never knew what they were but i know they gave me a awful taste in my mouth and i'd use popicle sticks to dig them out.

Over the years they have come and gone and I never thought much of them, i would just dig them out. Finally back in January i decided to research them and finally figured out what they were. About that time i got a horrible throat infection and went to an ENT, and told him about these tonsil stones and he said its more common then I thought. He said that its not a great reason to get your tonsils out because tonsil surgery is so hard to recover from. However, 3 more tonsil infections for me and I just had my tonsils out 2 days ago on Wed. March 28th.

So Im hoping no more tonsil infections and thankfully no more tonsil stones.

Id say if you can live with them, then live with them, but if you have alot of tonsil infections, and good insurance, then do it!

Old 03-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

What really started to bother me -- besides the putrid breath worries, was that my tonsils would actually bleed in spots when I'd dig out the tonsil stones or when they'd fall out. Also, I suffered from horrible "sinus" headaches, daily for years and I noticed after a particularly horrible one with dizziness, that just wouldn't go away with pain relievers, was that the next day my tonsil stone output was even worse. When I finally had my tonsils removed, I went from taking pain relievers several times a day for my headaches to once or twice a YEAR! All I can figure is that my chronically infected tonsils were making me sick -- giving me horrible headaches.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:44 AM   #9
(male)

jazzys2 HB User

Oh i concur, when I dig out the tonsil stones, my tonsils would bleed and it was a pain. Along with the chronic bad breath that always made me wonder if it grossed others out.....these are two things im looking forward to not having to deal with anymore.

Last edited by jazzys2; 03-30-2007 at 11:47 AM.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
(female)

pichuu123 HB User

Does anyone know if tonsil stones are tied to the Osteomyelitis that I had in 2005/6 ?
It was a strep viridian is what my doc tells me and seems as though there are no answers to how or why I had all that infection deep in my chest and onto my left clavical bone which was removed and also on my sternum which was infected and scrapped.
I keep hoping for an answer to this question, but I'm sure it's just such a rare infection that not too much is known about it.
Thank-you for any answers in advance.

Pichuu123

Old 04-06-2007, 07:15 AM   #11
(female)

jillr HB User

I get tonsil stones every once in a while. I usually have a sore throat for a few days and then I notice it. It's usually on the right side. I use a water pik to blast them out. I'm not brave enough to dig at them. I'm 32 yrs. old and never had them as a kid, just as an adult.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:31 AM   #12
(female)

flowerofshonauk HB User

Phew im soooo glad its not just me
I have had them since i was about 8 years old !! i always had throat infections and was in a lot of pain.
I get the 'stones' in both sides but mainly the right one.
Im wondering if they could be the trouble with my ears that has been diagnosed as 'vertigo' i get bad pain in my neck below my ears and thinking about it its normally when i have stones in the throat.
I get many infections and im starting to think a few weeks pain may be worth putting up with to get rid of them !! sometimes there is sooooo much muck in there
Having been on a diet where i cut out bread and carbs i did notice i didnt get them !!!
The smell is awful and getting a cold is a nightmare for me i suffer very badly with just a normal cold.
Makes you wonder just how much infection we are walking around with in our throats.

Closed Thread