It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
(female)

sheshe238 HB User
Loss of Taste After Tonsillectomy

I am 2 months 1 week post-op. I quit smoking which may have something to do with the loss of taste. Here's what I am going through and please let me know if anyone else is experiencing the same thing! I stopped drinking soda as well and tried some gingerale the other day. GROSS. Chocolate, not the same but i still eat it! Anything candy that's basically pure sugar, jellybeans, gum, valentines hearts... gross. I seem to not have a problem with salty stuff. Anyone know when and if my taste will fully come back?????? I also had a tounge ring that I took out as well. Would that have something to do with it as well??? AND I MISS MY COFFEE!! Tastes like metal!!! So basically I quit smoking, quit coffee, quit sugar and soda. AND I still gained weight!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Was it worth it????

Old 04-04-2007, 04:25 AM   #2
(female)

lindseyrenee18 HB User
Re: Loss of Taste After Tonsillectomy

so sheshe, i just posted this same message in a different chat just yesterday. i'm 25 and just had my tonsils out 2 wks and 1 day ago today. my sense of taste is also pretty much gone. I too quit smoking after surgery. I too just tried chocolate yesterday and it was gross like you said. Although the few days after surgery i think i rubbed my tongue raw. There was a couple days where my tongue burned. you would think that quitting smoking would help you taste things better. From what i've read, it just completely varies for people when their taste comes back. For some it could take months, for others, not that quite that long. But it really does drive you nuts. I just wish my taste buds would grow back. I heard they clamp your tongue so hard for surgery that it kills the taste buds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2007, 05:23 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Bracelet HB User

There are a lot of posts here on this board relating to this subject. Have you tried the search function? It works pretty well. There are so many posts about this issue, it's really extremely common after the surgery. You shouldn't worry about it unless it's been like 6 months with no change.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:25 AM   #4
(female)

LadyDi400 HB User

Hi, I don't know if you read the other post on this site but I had my tonsils out almost 2yrs ago and I lost my taste that has not come back. I also have a burning sensation in my mouth that doesn't go away, that is in the center back of my tongue. I had a taste test done and I can only taste sweet and salty. NO meats, sauces, pasta basically nothing. I lost 35lbs in a matter of 5 weeks. I eat just to put food in my stomach. But I do find myself eating more sweets since I can eat them so I have to watch!! Went to 3 lawyers and can't find one who will sue for malpractice. So I am doomed for a rest of my life without taste. And the doctors never tell us about this before surgery (beacuse you never mess with one of your senses) because if I was told I would have never elected to have this surgery!!!!!

Closed Thread