It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
(female)

bunnycat10 HB User
anyone get sick a few weeks after tonsillectomy?

I's been 19 days since my tonsillectomy. I had just started to feel pretty good this past Friday - still had mild sore throat when swallowing and some tongue issues, but thought the worst was over. Yesterday, my nose started running all day and I thought it was allergies, but by last night, my throat was more sore, my head hurt and I felt very fatigured. Same thing today. Feel like I have some sort of infection. I do not have a fever. I'm assuming it's not related to the surgery since it was almost 3 weeks ago and that I have just caught a bug somehow. Did anyone have this happen a few weeks after tonsillectomy?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2007, 07:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: anyone get sick a few weeks after tonsillectomy?

I got the flu my son was so gracious to share with me. It stunk, but I have only gotten the flu since my T&AA, and sinus surgery. No more sinus infections since October. I think my immune system was still recovering and that is why I got the flu and it hit me as hard as it did.

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
(female)

tulsadreamer HB User

I've been sick off & on with sinus/upper respiratory problems since my tonsillectomy last November. One thing I have noticed though, my throat is getting stronger. I guess it takes some months for complete healing since I'm an oldster? The last time I got sick NO SORE THROAT. Also, previously, the soreness was only on the back part of my throat. I didn't realize how bad I have been with the tonsils. It's wonderful being tonsil free. If only I didn't have to pay all those sugery costs!!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
(female)

lindseyrenee18 HB User

Bunnycat - Hey i think we had surgery on the same day, march 20th. I read your post to scaredofsurgery. Sounds like we had a very similar experience. I too did not use the heavy drugs and used liquid tylenol and i used ice packs. i wanted to know though, what is your sense of taste like at this point? mine is for the most part bland. salty things i can taste, sweets i cannot taste. and other things just have a very dulled taste.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
(female)

bunnycat10 HB User

mkgbrook and tulsadreamer: thanks for the replies. I did somehow catch an infection and am back on antibiotics. I guess my immunity was still lowered also. I was doing so well, and I'm bummed to have gone backward in progress, but hopefully the meds will kick in soon and all will be well.

lindseyrenee18: to answer your question, my taste buds seem to be working fine. i can taste almost all foods just as in the past. I know that loss of taste was common after surgery from reading other people's posts here, and i hope that your sense of taste is back to normal soon.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
(female)

ebelle HB User

hey ive been sick for some time now too. i was fine also around a montha fter surgery now i have fever on and off sore throat head pain for 6 weeks. strep culture "a" came out neg but streptolysin 0 came out high....

guess im fighting something nasty too, dont know what yet, see my ENT tomorrow..strep in the blood?

Closed Thread