It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2007, 06:56 PM   #1
(female)

Staar80 HB User
hyperplastic squamous mucosa

has anyone encountered this?

i have been going through hell with my health and have no answers.

this is how it started:

i don't know where to look for help. i have been to 7 dr.s and no one is helping me, i know something is wrong. please if anything sounds familiar, let me know.

it all started in AUGUST 8 months ago:

-i developed these red pimple sized bumps on uvula and soft palate. they were followed with smalled bumps all over the palate.
-low grade fevers started
-fatigue
-weight loss
-very sore throat and mouth. i was DX phanyngitis 2 times, the pain never went away with antibiotics.

SEPTEMBER
-it all continued and got worse
-back to DR, more antibiotics, pain never went away, not did the growths.
-glands started to swell

OCTOBER
-decided to get a new DR, because this guy was just telling me these viral things tend to hang on.
-saw ENT, in our tiny little backwoods town-he said HIV can do this to your mouth.
-tested negative at 3 months since last unprotected experience.
-glands still
-he also said he thought it was STD
-went to gynecologist, tested neg. for all STD's. she sent me to big city hospital.
-my face, breasts and arms turned beat red for weeks.
-low grade fevers continued.
-night sweats

NOVEMBER
-fevers still
-strep throat
-glands
-aches and pain
-night sweats
-i felt like there was poison coarsing through my veins, it was an effort just to walk my kids in school
-new ENT biopsied my mouth, and it came back as hyperplastic squamous mucosa-he had no idea what caused it, but that it was benign, for now.
-burning on tongue

DECEMBER
-more fevers.
-swollen glands still
- hit a 39lb weight loss in 3 months.
-started to inprove a little
-mouth problems never improved

JANUARY
-again neg for HIV, ENT said that is not the problem
-tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy
-fevers
-oral thrush
-started to gain weight back

FEBRUARY AND MARCH
-everything listed above, no changes

APRIL:
- again conclusively HIV negative-ID confirmed this with viral load testing. 8 months. she said definitey not.

NOW:
-back to square one. i do not feel right, i have had low(just barely) RBC, HIgh, then low WBC. HIC MPV? what ever that is?

-8 months lkater still swollen glands
-my chest is still red w/ raised bumps.
-still having fevers?

i also tested neg. for auto-immune, butstill have appt. w.rhumatologist and dermatologist

also 4 yrs ago i had granuloma annulare on legs

someone please help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
(female)

raymae HB User
Re: hyperplastic squamous mucosa

i have developed little pimple type spots in my mouth. i have one on the uvelo and various ones on the roof of my mouth and a slightly bigger one at the back of my throat. i also have lots of pimples that are covered in a white coating on the back of my tongue, i was swabbed at the doctors and he said i was negative for thrush. my throat sometimes gets dry and feels a bit raw at the back. i have not experienced the other symptoms you have. i was told it is most likely viral and will clear up on its own but i have had it coming on 5 months now.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
(female)

Staar80 HB User

is it still going on?? any other symptoms?

my throat pain has diminished, but glands are still swollen 10 months later, as well as low grade fever and red rash on chest, arms, back and face.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:07 AM   #4
(female)

lymesgal HB User

Hi there Staar80,
I have all the same things as you do, soar throat, glands, burning tongue, swollen uvula all the time, biopsies with the same thing you had on the roof of your mouth, had it removed, kind of grew back, still hurts when something crunchy touches it....and I have lyme disease. Alot of the symptoms are the same.....have you ever thought about it? It sounds alot like LD symptoms. Do you live in an area where lyme disease is a problem? If so, you should think about getting tested for LD. Good luck!

Lymesgal

Last edited by lymesgal; 10-12-2007 at 12:08 AM.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:38 AM   #5
(female)

Staar80 HB User

i did have the lymes test and it was negative! i do live in pennsylvania where ticks are very common.

1 dr. suggested HIV, but i have had so many negative (including the more in depth tests) an ID is saying NO WAY. she also still has no clue.

over all over a year later, i feel much better, but my mouth looks a mess!! i had a CT scan they say the glands look normal, but then the next Dr. feels them and says they are not. fevers have lessened, but i have they way more than normal.

what did your ENT say about your mouth?

Old 02-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
(male)

Sisyphus3 HB User

I noticed recently that people can be infected orally with HPV and that it's a cause of mouth and throat cancers.

Might be something to look into again ... perhaps the early tests weren't accurate.

Last edited by Sisyphus3; 02-13-2008 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Looked at old thread and saw HPV was discarded early on

Old 02-13-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
(female)

Staar80 HB User

i was told that as well. but the Ent who biopsied it said there was no evidence of HPV either.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
(female)

girlcat36 HB User

I had HPV oral cancer. I had a swollen tonsil and the little red blistery things in my throat. I was never told I had HPV, and did not know until after my tonsil was taken out that it was cancerous. I was treated at a Comprehensive Cancer Center that tests the tumors, and that's how I found out it was HPV. Looking back on this I am wondering if the blisters were a sign of the HPV virus. It took two years to get to the diagnosis.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:49 AM   #9
(male)

worstmistake HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staar80 View Post
i did have the lymes test and it was negative! i do live in pennsylvania where ticks are very common.

1 dr. suggested HIV, but i have had so many negative (including the more in depth tests) an ID is saying NO WAY. she also still has no clue.

over all over a year later, i feel much better, but my mouth looks a mess!! i had a CT scan they say the glands look normal, but then the next Dr. feels them and says they are not. fevers have lessened, but i have they way more than normal.

what did your ENT say about your mouth?
Just curiously wondering if that was conclusion made and how your health is now?? i gave unprotected oral sex to a prosititute who looked very healthy (yes i was drunk) and then had a condom broke with another prostitute but took it straight away. never had unprotected vaginal/anal sex. All this happened nearly 7months ago. have not developed one single symptom. im really worried now if i should get tested. worse even is the tests are not reliable after reading your posts. even worse, the dr you consulted whom adivsed that the symptoms take sometimes even years to show up

if i remember it all started with unprotected oral sex right? because that is what i beleive i've done so

Last edited by worstmistake; 04-20-2008 at 03:52 AM.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:54 AM   #10
(male)

worstmistake HB User

hi staar80, just wondering if you came across Nucleic Acid Testing (NAT). i noticed on our local blood donation facility they screen all blood donations via NAT. Have you done this already? <removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-21-2008 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Do not copy material directly from another website.

Closed Thread