It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
(male)

afieldwest HB User
Adult, 30, tonsils, uvula, and septum fixed

I had a triple whammy 4 days ago (tonsils and uvula out, plus a deviated septum fixed). I had minor sleep apnea, but basically wanted to get it done to prevent snoring and to be able to breathe easier and get solid night sleep. Four hours of surgery. I have been looking for cases similar to mine on these threads, however can't quite find a match. It doesn't appear that anyone has had all 3 things done at once. If you have, can anyone share their experiment with me and let me know what to expect? Like I said, I had the surgery done Monday in Boston by a great doctor - he's actually the chair of the ENT Dept. I woke up with my nose packed with what I could only describe as crunchy rice cake-like stuff. I had an oxygen mask on for my oxygen levels and to keep my throat moist. I was out of it when the doctor went over the surgery afterwards, so I'm not really sure what occurred. It was only supposed to be 2 hours and it went double - he told my wife that the tonsils were a problem and that my heart rate went up, but they took care of everything and I should reap the rewards greatly. As for now, the mornings are miserable - extremely dry throat upon waking up. To make matters worse I have stents in my nostrils for the septum, so I can't breathe out of my nose. They come out on Tuesday. So, I have to sleep with my mouth open which in turn dries my throat out so fast that I'l up every 45 minutes to sip water. Anyone familiar with my situation????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
(male)

jp39 HB User
Re: Adult, 30, tonsils, uvula, and septum fixed

I wish I could help you. BCBS denied the uvula UPPP surgery because my sleep apnea was not severe enough. Like you, I wanted a one shot deal of getting it all done at once. I am 15 months post op from tonsil and septum surgery but I am snoring again. The liquid pain reliever that I got were Roxicet (liquid percocet/oxycodone) and Lortab Elixir (hydrocodone APAP). These made life bearable for the first few days. If you do not have these, please ask for one or the other at your post op visit on Monday.

As for the septum, please use the saline spray liberally because help the healing. You will feel much better after the teflon splints in your nose come out. Lastly, consider getting a cheap humifier from Walgreens or your local store. Moisture in the air will help some.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
(male)

afieldwest HB User

Roxicet is exactly what I have. I remember the doctor saying something a nasal spray, but he never prescribed it to me. All I have is Roxicet and amoxycillin. Should I have nasal spray too?

Old 04-20-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
(female)

anprdp HB User

Hi there,

I did not have the uvula out, but I did have a deviated septum fixed, turbinate reduction and tonsills and adenoids removed on the 21st of March. I can say for the septum and turbinates that yes you will be congested like nothing before, it will make you sleep with your mouth open, and it will dry out your throat (mostly the scabs) and make you in even more pain. I suggest you set an alarm clock to wake you up everytime you can take the pain meds and drink as much fluid (water preferrably) as you can. The bleeding with my septum is still happening just not as much. After two weeks the doctor said I still had 40 % of healing to do, but I do have diabetes which makes me heal slower anyways. I didn't have the stents thank goodness but I did have stitches that drove me absolutely insane. They took 3 weeks to fall out and if I blew my nose too hard on one side the other side felt like I stabbed myself. Also, (yes more yuck) with the tonsills and the nose surgery I had EXTREME phelgm (mucus) that was full of scabs and blood that would choke me every now and them. It was thick, dark green, and bloody so do not be alarmed by this. It is normal and it will have scabbing. The tonsills I am sure you have read all about on this board. Each person is different. I had sort of a tough time recovering from all this and it took about 2 -3 weeks. I now feel pretty normal except for still feeling chugged up. I do not know what your doctor told you, but I was to use Afrin 2 times a day for a week to help with the congestion and use something similar to polysporin 2 times a day to help with the scabbing. After that time period, I was to use saline spray to help clear out the excess mucus in my sinuses and nose and blow often. I could not blow my nose for the first week. I could not have Roxicet (Liquids contain sugar bad for me) so I had to swallow the pills which was hard. I think that is about it. I hope that helps and best of luck to you. Oh, and I am 30 too, and 11 surgeries ( I think cause I have lost count) all the way to colon resection and on a scale of 1 to 10 in worst surgies to have, I would rate this one an 8 and the 3rd worst one I have had. Good luck.

Last edited by anprdp; 04-20-2007 at 08:05 PM.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:35 AM   #5
(female)

Angel_Voice HB User

afieldwest...

I'm so glad you posted about your surgery. I go this next Friday to have all 3 things taken care of as well. The closer it gets the more anxiety I have, but I'm hoping and praying the healing process will be the LAST sore throat that I have...EVER! I pray you have a fast and easy recovery. Keep us posted!

~Angel Voice~

Old 04-21-2007, 06:05 AM   #6
(male)

jp39 HB User

You need over the counter Saline Nasal Spray that is available at the grocery or drug store. This will keep the sinuses moist and allow the healing to begin.

I took Roxicet for the first few days because it knocked me out but it also gave me that "opiate haze". The Lortab Elixir which is not as strong helped with the pain and I could function. Everyone is different, Lortab Elixir worked for me but other have better luck with Roxicet.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:03 AM   #7
(female)

sugarandspice HB User

I am 30, and recently had my tonsils removed, with septorhinoplasty and turbinoplasty at the same time. Basically it's pure misery till you get the splints out of your nose. After that point, your mouth/throat won't be so dried out. You will feel enormously better after that point. The best I can say is, "hang in there." I had to wake up to take sips often as well. The nasal spray helps, but not much, in my case. Good luck!

Closed Thread