It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
(male)

kojak27 HB User
Swollen Tonsils for 2+ Months

Hello,

Firstly im a 25 year old male in decent shape, however moderate to heavy smoker

During February this year I woke up with incredibly swollen tonsils, white spots on them and feeling pretty average. I was tested for Glandular Fever, which resulted in a negetive (thank goodness I thought), and it was assumed I had strep, although Ive had no fever.

I was subsequently put onto antibiotics, which cleared up the white spots, took away the pain and 'unwell' feeling, however. Almost three moths later my tonsils are still just as swollen, as are my glands.

I still have zero fever, I feel healthy, besides a bad nasal drip, and a feeling of congestion in my nose (always wanting to blow it but not needing to) Ive had this conjested feeling since the start.

Any ideas why my tonsils would still be swollen? and is this normal? Im starting to worry, and with a history of anxiety and panic disorder, thats definately not a good thing.

thanks

Last edited by kojak27; 04-21-2007 at 12:11 PM.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:27 PM   #2
(male)

zero_0 HB User
Re: Swollen Tonsils for 2+ Months

It sounds like the antibiotics got rid of most of the bacteria that causing your symptoms, but it probably didn't get rid of enough bacteria for your body to fight the rest and return to normal.

I used to have chronic tonsillitis and what happened over several months before my (recent) operation was that the antibiotics I was taking fought off enough of the bacteria that the swelling of my tonsils and white pus (bacteria) built up on them reduced a lot.. but not enough so the symptoms would come back after some time. My ENT surgeon said its likely that I never really got rid of the tonsillitis that started a few months ago. It sounds like a similar story with you. If I were you, I'd see a doctor about this and discuss your options from here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
(male)

kojak27 HB User
Re: Swollen Tonsils for 2+ Months

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Well an update, I finally headed back to the doctor, tonsils still swollen, as well as adenoids. No signs of an infection, I still dont feel sick, besides conjested, and a constant blocked nose.

He seemed stumped, but said he didnt feel there was any major concern (Lymphoma, cancers ect) because the swelling is on both sides, and im lacking any other symptoms that would point to somthing nasty like that (high fever, rapid weight loss)

I've been put on a waiting list, to see an ENT and have my tonsils and adenoids removed.

In the meantime I was given a nasal spray (a cortizone) to use once daily, however almost two weeks after being on it, Ive noticed no difference.

I cant say im still not concered about it, it still doesnt make sense to me. Why are my tonsils and adenoids still so swollen, when theres no infection 4 months after I originally got sick? Is it possible for them to just remain enlarged and irritated, long after an infection?

Deep down i'm petrified of cancers and other nasty underlying reasons, but thats the anxiety and panic disorder talking.

I hate this Its so ucomfortable at all times its a constant hell

Closed Thread