It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
(male)

dieselman8 HB User
Left Ear fluttering / rumbling

Over the last few months, I have been experiencing a low rumbling or fluttering in my left ear. I saw an ENT and he explained to me that it was not unlike my eye twitching or another muscle twitching and that would eventually go away.

Eventually I figured out that I get fluttering whenever I hear low pitched "white" noise such as hearing air come out of an air-conditioning vent, or a subway or train passing in the distance. Since I live in the city of Chicago, these noises are everywhere and the fluttering occurs alot throughout the course of my day.

The funny thing is that the fluttering is in my left ear. If I put an ear plug in my left ear and leave my right ear unplugged, I can still feel the fluttering. However, if instead I plug my RIGHT ear, the fluttering in my LEFT ear stops.
Has anyone tried this?

The Following User Says Thank You to dieselman8 For This Useful Post:
couldbeyou (06-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
(female)

tetianainto HB User
Re: Left Ear fluttering / rumbling

Hi,

My only experience with "fluttering" in the ear was around January when I experienced it a couple of times....it was then followed by a few days of itchy ears...I can't recollect if it was in one ear or both. I then got a virus that lasted a three months...with a sore throat and painful ears (i thought the ear pain was referred pain from the sore throat). The doctor said my ears didn't look congested.

Anyways, yours sounds different, just thought I would let you know my experience with ear fluttering or rumbling......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2007, 06:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lib HB Userlib HB User

this sounds like middle ear myoclonus, look that up as well as stapedial myoclonus and tensor tympani syndrome....

Old 04-25-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
(male)

dieselman8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
this sounds like middle ear myoclonus, look that up as well as stapedial myoclonus and tensor tympani syndrome....
Hi, thanks for the great reply. My symptoms seem to coincide with idiopathic stapedial musle spasms. I also ran across a post searching on ****** which described exactly my condition, namely sounds in one ear trigger muscle spasms in the other ear. Still no solution unfortunately.

Seems that different things work for different people. One person claimed that doing curls with dumbells gives temporary relief for an hour or so. Another claimed that just relaxing and not stressing out solved his symptoms for a short period of time. Another had one of the middle ear muscles clipped, and another chose to take anti-seizure medicine.

Hopefully when I get a break this summer to relax it'll subside a bit.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:36 AM   #5
(female)

Leah501 HB User

Ooh ooh hello, I have exactly the same thing in my left ear. It's soooooooooooooooo frustrating! It started off as a fluttering, as though there was a moth in my ear, but has now become more of a thumping and its certain frequencies that make it worse, like coins and running water. I went to the GP and it turned out I had a perferated ear drum and because of the hole in my ear it was causing the sounds I hear to vibrate my eardrum. I was even told that it was the shampoo getting in my ear when I wash my hair. (doctors do worry me sometimes)

Then my eardrum healed , but the tapping stayed and has just got worse! I have been to my GP about 5 times now regarding this and they just do not seem to have a clue.

The only time this annoying sound stops is if I cup my ear with my hand or anything rubber so that there is no air getting into it. This is how I have to sleep now.

Im now going to look up on idiopathic stapedial musle spasms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselman8 View Post
Hi, thanks for the great reply. My symptoms seem to coincide with idiopathic stapedial musle spasms. I also ran across a post searching on ****** which described exactly my condition, namely sounds in one ear trigger muscle spasms in the other ear. Still no solution unfortunately.

Seems that different things work for different people. One person claimed that doing curls with dumbells gives temporary relief for an hour or so. Another claimed that just relaxing and not stressing out solved his symptoms for a short period of time. Another had one of the middle ear muscles clipped, and another chose to take anti-seizure medicine.

Hopefully when I get a break this summer to relax it'll subside a bit.

Closed Thread