It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

mogj3222 HB User
Ears clogged 24/7 with ear/head pressure

This really sucks!!!!!! Just wanted to get that off my chest. Like some of you, I have been to a couple doctors with no answers. The ENT saw no fluid in my ears and gave me antibiotics and sudafed and claritin, nothing has worked! Ill explain a few things:
I was feeling light headed and tired heavy legs for about a month, and thought I was feeling better, when I took a lot of vicodin one night. I am a recovering drug addict and was clean for a while. But I was tired of feeling ******, and needless to say I popped a ton of vicodin that night, 20 to be exact. Anyway, during that night I felt like a wave of pressure in my head or ears, but didnt think much of it. Then when i was ready to go to bed all of a suddden my ears clogged up! And I havnt been able to unclog them since. No matter how hard I hold my nose and blow or yawn or swallow cant get them to pop. This was 11 days ago, and after a couple days of them being clogged the pressure in the ears began, and the head. And now the pressure in the head and ears is 24/7 as well as the clogged/full ears. And the doctor hasnt a clue. I am wondering if I somehow ****ed up my inner ear pressure, not being relative to the outside pressure, and maybe getting a tube would relieve the pressure. Not sure what to do, but after reading all these posts I am more scared than ever that my ears will never clear and Ill be stuck with this crazy feeling, it is kinda like living a nightmare! Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

mogj3222 HB User
Re: Ears clogged 24/7 with ear/head pressure

Also I forgot to mention that this has also made me feel like not eating. And I am, was always hungry and eating before 10 days ago. Its like I have no appetite. Thanks

Old 04-27-2007, 09:13 PM   #3
(male)

Boomer2b HB User

Hi ... The Vicodin could possibly be the culprit. I ran a search for 'vicodin ototoxic' and got a lot of hits, including one that said "Knoll Pharmaceutical Co., the makers of Vicodin, added a hearing loss warning to the drug's label in 2000, but it seems to have gone largely unnoticed. .... hearing loss seems to be a very rare side effect that occurs only when the drug is used inappropriately."

You'd need some expert advice to see if the amount you took was enough to do damage to your hearing systems, and what might help in that case. Good luck.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

mogj3222 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer2b View Post
Hi ... The Vicodin could possibly be the culprit. I ran a search for 'vicodin ototoxic' and got a lot of hits, including one that said "Knoll Pharmaceutical Co., the makers of Vicodin, added a hearing loss warning to the drug's label in 2000, but it seems to have gone largely unnoticed. .... hearing loss seems to be a very rare side effect that occurs only when the drug is used inappropriately."

You'd need some expert advice to see if the amount you took was enough to do damage to your hearing systems, and what might help in that case. Good luck.
Wow Boomer,
I just read some stuff after searching. I am scared out of my mind. i was hoping whatever i have woud start to go away, but now I am worried that it is just the beginning and I will start to lose my hearing. This is really scary. I wish too god i wouldnt have taken those 20 vicodin. So mad at myself. But everything I have read talks about hearing loss and ringing in ears. I just have this annoying fullness or clogged feeling. I guess it probably is related. Im so upset. Keep in touch, why are u on this board out of curiosity? whats your symptoms?

Old 04-29-2007, 11:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

I used to have a ear pressure and it turned out to be GERD. Do you have any other symptoms? I was really tired and felt awful after eating. My whole head felt like I had allergy symptoms.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:29 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

mogj3222 HB User

Quote:
Joel ... I worked in the hearing aid industry for a long time, and also have had many problems starting with an explosion awhile ago, so I've learned a lot about hearing, professionally and personally. These days I'm trying to get someone to tell me what it's like to get a tube put in the eardrum (to relieve a case of PLF), but no luck so far.

I'm no expert, but doubt you will get worse, even if it was the Vicodin: your system would have cleared it out long ago, and you may have a loss as a result of the drug exposure, but that's over with. Either go back to the ENT or find another one who will pay some attention to you, and find out if you really could have hurt yourself. Testing should tell whether things are stable or not, and the doc should be able to make you comfortable, at the least. What tests have they run on you so far?
Hey Boomer,
I have had 2 hearing tests, and also , Im not sure of the name but it was like a prod or something, and he said I think he was testing the middle ear pressure. The hearing and pressure he said were normal. I just know something is really wrong. Cause no matter what I do I cant pop my ears. And the constant pressure is driving me nuts. Everyone keeps aking me if I am tired cause I am constantly yawning, because that seems to be the only thing I can do to bring a little relief to the clog or pressure. I am from Philadelphia but I am currently living in L.A. I found a place online called the House Ear Clinic located here in Los Angeles. Apparently they are supposed to have a lot more knowledge than just a regular ENT, escpecially the one I saw, LOL. Anyway I made an appointment for Friday, hopefully they can shed some light on whats going on. Any thoughts? Ever heard of the House Ear Institute

Old 05-01-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
(male)

Boomer2b HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfranks76 View Post
Any thoughts? Ever heard of the House Ear Institute
Joel ... The House Ear Institute is well known with an international reputation, and an excellent choice to sort out your problems.

If the hearing test was normal, it's doubtful the vicodin hurt you. The pressure test sounds like a tympanogram, in which a probe is placed in the ear while a sound is introduced and both pressure and vaccum are applied to check on the mobility of the eardrum: if it's normal, then there's no fluid buildup or problem in the middle ear.

There are two ways to promote equalization of the middle ear. One is to inflate the middle ear by pinching the nose and blowing first gently and then a bit harder (easy, you can hurt yourself) until you feel the eardrum 'pop': this can be checked by the ENT watching the drum bulge out with an otoscope while you do it (whether you can feel it yourself or not). Of course you can't inflate the ear if it's already inflated, which may be the case. The other is to deflate the middle ear, usually by pinching the nose and swallowing, often while chewing gum, etc, to produce enough saliva to swallow. For some people, yawning is also enough to do this also, but not for others. This too can be observed by the doc.

The middle ear and Eustachian tube are connected to the complex sinus system in your head, and problems there can make you feel pretty poor, and have a fairly large variety of causes and cures. BTW don't even think of flying until this is resolved.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

mogj3222 HB User

Quote:
Joel ... The House Ear Institute is well known with an international reputation, and an excellent choice to sort out your problems.

If the hearing test was normal, it's doubtful the vicodin hurt you. The pressure test sounds like a tympanogram, in which a probe is placed in the ear while a sound is introduced and both pressure and vaccum are applied to check on the mobility of the eardrum: if it's normal, then there's no fluid buildup or problem in the middle ear.

There are two ways to promote equalization of the middle ear. One is to inflate the middle ear by pinching the nose and blowing first gently and then a bit harder (easy, you can hurt yourself) until you feel the eardrum 'pop': this can be checked by the ENT watching the drum bulge out with an otoscope while you do it (whether you can feel it yourself or not). Of course you can't inflate the ear if it's already inflated, which may be the case. The other is to deflate the middle ear, usually by pinching the nose and swallowing, often while chewing gum, etc, to produce enough saliva to swallow. For some people, yawning is also enough to do this also, but not for others. This too can be observed by the doc.

The middle ear and Eustachian tube are connected to the complex sinus system in your head, and problems there can make you feel pretty poor, and have a fairly large variety of causes and cures. BTW don't even think of flying until this is resolved.
Boomer,
What you said is interesting. So Yawning and the holding nose blowing do 2 different things?? Because when I hold my nose and blow it actually makes it worse like there is more air or pressure, never do I hear the pop I used to hear when I was on a plane and had to do it to feel better. The only way I feel a tiny bit of relief is by yawning. Doesnt clear up my pressure or clog or whatever the hell I have, but I do get tiny lit pops or relief from yawning after like 5 tries. Also are you a psychic, because I am planning on flying home, and want desperatly to be with my family ever since this whole escapade started almost 3 weeks ago. It has me real depressed and I just want to go home. But I was worried about flying like you said. Thanks for all the help, and is so nice talking to someone who relaly seems to know what they are talking aout, by the way how old r u and I assume male, by the name Bommer. I'm 30 male from Philly.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

mogj3222 HB User

Boomer dont pay attention to all my spelling errors, in the previous post, Im at work, and trying to do things in a rush. I know your name is Boomer, not Bommer or whatever I wrote, LOl.
Later, Joel

Old 05-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #10
(female)

kimberly41 HB User

Joel, not to add to your scary thoughts but I have had ear clog in right ear for several months. ENT put tube in but no difference. I was told it could be another health concern. Maybe you should see your regular Dr.
Good luck.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

mogj3222 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly41 View Post
Joel, not to add to your scary thoughts but I have had ear clog in right ear for several months. ENT put tube in but no difference. I was told it could be another health concern. Maybe you should see your regular Dr.
Good luck.
Do you know what set it off, I mean did it happen all of a sudden, is it both ears?? Can you desribe your symptoms to me?
Thanx

Old 05-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
(female)

kimberly41 HB User

Quote:
Do you know what set it off, I mean did it happen all of a sudden, is it both ears?? Can you desribe your symptoms to me?
Thanx
Yes it happened all of a sudden. I have no idea what set it off. I have a history of vascular disease, and just found out that I have been having "mini-strokes" in my brain. My ENT is now looking to see if the arteries in the ear area are damaged. As for if this whats going on in my ear we don't know yet.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:10 PM   #13
(male)

jim57 HB User

Quote:
Wow Boomer,
I just read some stuff after searching. I am scared out of my mind. i was hoping whatever i have woud start to go away, but now I am worried that it is just the beginning and I will start to lose my hearing. This is really scary. I wish too god i wouldnt have taken those 20 vicodin. So mad at myself. But everything I have read talks about hearing loss and ringing in ears. I just have this annoying fullness or clogged feeling. I guess it probably is related. Im so upset. Keep in touch, why are u on this board out of curiosity? whats your symptoms?

Last edited by jim57; 05-01-2007 at 05:39 PM. Reason: error

Closed Thread