It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 11:10 PM   #1
(female)

Cozzie HB User
Unhappy Humidifiers after tonsilectomy today :(....please help

Hi all

i am going to have a tonsilectomy this afternoon, i spent all of yesterday trying to find a 'mist humidifier' that i have seen so many speak about and recomend on this site.

i found a few that just are for the actual room but im presuming you all mean i need one that has an inhaler or mask so i am able to sleep with it on to insure my throat stays moist over night???

please advice?

I am very nervous! i have woke up ealry as i have to eat no later than 7am, i just has some porridge and a banana...nice last meal eh! lol

I have heard such horror stories and nearly cancelled! i am so so terriried but i have had wosre (had intestine taken out) but the pain was in tummy then so you can turn your head away when it gets bad (if that makes sense) but with your throat... u swallow so much so i just know it will hurt, i hope i have got the right combination of pain relief!! i have lots of codine...and ibeprofen

please advice..what am i to expect and where can my partner get a humidifier for me?

thanx kyou

corinne x

Old 04-26-2007, 12:03 AM   #2
(female)

MistyMoo2 HB User
Re: Humidifiers after tonsilectomy today :(....please help

Hi Corinne,

I'm from Dublin and I got the Bionaire warm mist humidifier in Argos. It was €53, so about £35-40. Don't worry about the op. I had no major drama's. I'm 4 weeks post op today and still a little sore as my tonsils were fully embedded so there's a lot more muscle to get back to normal. Take the following advise:

1. Drink 2-3 litres of water per day
2. Buy straws. These are very useful
3. Buy a soft childs toothbrush as this will be useful for the first week
4. Eat as much as possible. I could only manage plain food, no sauces because they stung. Try scrambled egg, soggy cereals, lightly done toast with butter applied when hot so it's softer, plain pasta, shepherds pie.
5. DON'T EAT: anything tomato based, juices or citrus products
6. Eat small quantities 3 or 4 times a day, and take painkillers 30 minutes before
7. Ask your doc for a prescription for Difene
8. I found soluble Solpadiene excellent. Gargle then swallow. Not nice the first time but I got to love it because I knew it gave me so much relief!
9. Try not talking too much
10. Days 1-3 were relatively easy, but more intense pain started on Days 4-9. Expect this and don't get down about it

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. I also spent one night in hospital and was on 3 drips during the day and night. You'll be fine. Good luck and ask me any questions if needed. I'll keep checking this page.

AC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Just to clarify, it's not the type of humidifier with a mask. Just a regular humidifier that you put in the room to keep the air more humid is what people were talking about, I think.

I wasn't actually aware that the type existed that you could wear with a mask while asleep?

Old 04-28-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
(female)

Cozzie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMoo2 View Post

Days 1-3 were relatively easy, but more intense pain started on Days 4-9. Expect this and don't get down about it

AC
Hi there, thanx for everyones response...

i am on day 3..

on the 26th i had op at about 3...back on ward by half past 4..was talking, drinking and at 8pm had toast...

they told me that cause i had tonsilitus SO many times and a quincy, my tonsils NEVER properly healed and were still slightly infected.... so im on anti boitcs

there are times i can eat with NO pain killers?? is that normal..??
im not really suffering at all and have eaten pretty normally....

i have co codomal, diclofenac for inflamation and antio biotics... hardly need co codomal at moment, not even in the morning...

speaking to soon tho i think..did hear that days 4 onwards are tough but why??? the wounds heal and get tighter???

i looked in throat and looks quite, erm, sort of coated with gundge? which is why i want to eat to scrape it away....

mums looking after me...

my tummy is so ful of water im SO bloated and its sore like a ROCK!

will keep checking this thread

Closed Thread