It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
(female)

Ang6425 HB User
Question coughing post tonsillectomy

Hi, everyone. I am new to the board, and I must say it's been amazing! I really appreciate everyone sharing their stories. It helps me realize that I am not totally losing it by myself.

I do have a question that I haven't seen any conversation about. I am on day 6 of post op. The pain has been pretty manageable with the meds I am on. I am on an antibiotic and a codine elixer. I am taking the codine religiously every 4 hours, but I find I am counting down minutes after about the 3rd hour.

What I am really curious about is this cough I have. I feel like I am gagging and weezing. I have a lot of phleghm that I am spitting out, and I can feel chunks of scabs coming off. ( I know, tmi!!) I am really nervous about bleeding and I am scared everytime I cough I am going to damage something. I am drinking a ton of water. By the way, I've found a straw works great as it delivers a shotof ice cold water to the very back of my throat. Ahhhhh. I haven't been eating a whole lot. I've had oatmeal, cream of wheat, Jello, ice cream, popsicles. I am trying to swallow as much as I can. I am just wondering if anyone else if coughing a lot or if I should be nervous. No blood so far. I keep checking.

Any help would be awesome! Thanks to all!
Ang

Old 05-01-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
(female)

Chimpette HB User
Thumbs up Re: coughing post tonsillectomy

Hey I know what you mean, its day 8 for me. The surgeon used stitches on mine so hes told me thats the reason I wont have any scabbing really. Which is quite good.
I dont know if anyone else has had stitches, ive heard its quite rare. Because Ive got them im scared of coughing too, and get abit panicy when the throat starts to itch/tickle/dry. So I just get cold water and open the window and try and not cough basically!
I think youll be ok to cough, just try and keep it to a minimum!!
Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
(female)

Ang6425 HB User
Re: coughing post tonsillectomy

Thanks, Chimpette!

I have stitches, too. My ENT said the pain shouldn't be as bad in the beginning that way. Honestly, it hasn't been unbearable.

The problem is that I have to cough. I feeel like I am going to choke if I don't. I am trying to sip cold water constantly while I am awake, but i really don't want to damage the stitches. I can't imagine having to start this process over.

Another queation... how long was everyone off work? I talk on the phone all day. I was going to try and go back on day 10, but I'm not sure I will be able to handle that. Talking hurts more than swallowing!

thanks to all!

Old 05-01-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

The coughing is normal.. it is an indicator that scabs further down the throat are shedding and triggering your cough reflex. It happens for a few days and then it is over.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 05-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #5
(female)

Ang6425 HB User

Thanks so much, MG!

I have read several of your posts and you obviously have a lot of experience.

It's good to know it won't last long...

Closed Thread