It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

hjjasnell HB User
Question Septoplasty, turbinectomy experiences please?

So I'm scheduled to have sinus surgery in June and I want to find out everything I can about it before I have it done. I'm supposed to have a septoplasty done, turbinectomy (where they reduce the turbinates...that's what it's called, right?), and he's going to "break down some of the walls" of my sinuses to make several of the smaller ones into one large sinus section. Plus he's going to remove a concha bullosa and an osteoma. They told me to expect to be off work for 9 days but I'm hoping to be back to work in a week (I'm an office worker who doesn't really deal with the public so it shouldn't be too bad...right?). Can anyone share their experiences, what the surgery was like and moreso what the post-op was like. how much pain were you in? How soon before you could go back to work? How much bruising and swelling was there and how long did it last? Anything at all that you can share as I'm getting quite anxious about this (I have problems with anxiety as it is, so this isn't helping! LOL) and I still have over a month and a half to go!!! Thanks so much!!

Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Septoplasty, turbinectomy experiences please?

I had full endoscopic sinus surgery and partial turbonectomy and sinus passage widening and sinus windoe insertion in all my sinus cavities back in October.. the sinus recovery was nothing compared to the tonsillectomy. When the tonsillectomy pain subsided I just had to worry about dry headaches.

As too bruising.. none.. a little eye shadow darking, but nothing severe.

Worst was position change and pressure change induced nose bleeding. My sinuses could not be packed so I had to remember to keep my head up and not lean forward. The surgery is really good at correcting your posture.

Recommendations? You won't need much for pain. Use Simply Saline (non-decongestant) Nasal Sprays at least four times a day. Keep sharp rises and falls.. ups and downs to a minimum. Move slowly and be prepared for the headaches.. the headaches were no worse than my worse sinus infection pressure headaches. If you get your sinuses packed.. keep your packing moist! Dry packing hurts, especially if your packing is dry during its removal!

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
(female)

hjjasnell HB User

I'll have mine packed, as the dr tells me, so I'll be sure to keep it moist with the saline solution! I had my tonsillectomy done just a few years ago and it was horrible so I guess if I can withstand that and can be back to work in a couple days then I can stand the sinus surgery! Thanks so much for your input!!

Old 05-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
(male)

hp8 HB User

Well this last cold I caught a few days ago seem to have blocked up my nose even more now. My docs insist I should go for surgery similar to what you described aboved, removal of concha bullosa etc.
My greatest worry is being able to tolerate the nasal packing for days, the bleeding and all that junk constantly flowing down blocking up your throat will make it extremely hard for breathing.
MG was lucky I guess, no nasal packing, not too often I hear of that.
I been trying to put off the surgery long as I can but using sudafed around 10 days out of every month, the effectiveness seems to be wearing out. I'm surprised to think I could have developed a tolerance for this decongestant so fast after only a year. especially when MG says she used max dosage for closed to 15 yrs or so almost constantly.
I'll be following your future postings closely after your surgery is performed.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Hp8,

Everyones body chemistry is different. Also if surgery is recommended it may not be that the psuedophedrine isn't acting as it should.. but that there is just too much for it to take care of on its own.

Because all my sinus cavities were worked on they couldn't pack my nose because the back cavities had to be able to drain out the retian infection ans left over surgery leavings. I actually wish I had had a little packing. The cronic nose goo and bleed trickles and dumps down my throt were annoying and in some cases painful. IF you keep the packing moist, it slides on out when it is time to remove it.. honest. I have been packed before.. saline sprays will be your friend. The lack of nerves in you sinuses will be your other god send. No nerves minimal irritation and pain.

Now.. no psuedophed except on the rare allergic over load day clusters.. then it is half of the maximum daily dose. No more singular. No more nasanox except during bad allergic flare ups. I am stable on my Nexium for Gerd and Zyrtec for allergies. I use saline nasal spray and Ponaris Nasal oil to combat sleep apnea CPAP induced dryness at night and that is that. I have been sinusittus and sinus infection free since my surgery, and I can breathe through my nose! Let us not talk about the flu, rota virus, or food poisoning... those I could not avoid.

Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread