It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
(female)

reenu1985 HB User
Exclamation PLEASE HELP as others cant...

Hi everyone,

I am hoping somebody can determine, or have any idea,of a diagnosis for some symptoms my partner is experiencing.
He is 23 years old, and for the past 7/8 years his right nostril has been relatively blocked (he can barely breathe through this nostril).
For the past one year he has suffered from enlarged tonsils. he was diagnosed with tonsilitis and given penicillin, the infection disappeared, but the enlarged tonsils remained.
Now every other week he experiences pain in his ear when swallowing. It is starting to get him down now, and Doctors have not been a lot of help, as they advise there is no need for a tonsillectomy, and explain this pain to maybe an allergy or hayfever (but this cant be for the whole year?)

I am convinced all three must be linked, what do you think?
Another doctor mentioned internal pressure imbalance? could this be a possibilty? id really appreciate any ideas you all have

thanks

Reenu

Old 05-02-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
(male)

TonsilHater HB User
Re: PLEASE HELP as others cant...

Sounds like a deviated septum, allergies, and chronic tonsillitis to me.... Anyone else have any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Go to an Allergist and ENT. There are year round allergies. The allergist can determine if you are actually suffering from an allergy to irritants such as pollutants or environmental allergens. The ENT will be able to tell you if the blockage is due to pollump growth in your sinus mucus memberanes.. just inflamed membranes, a structural defect (deviated septum) Or something else.

Tonsillitus can embed and hang on for years if not completely erradicated.. the ENT would be the one to tell you whether or not the tonsils or adnoids need to go. Enlarged tonsils and adnoids can trap fluid in the ear and pinch nerves in the jaw causeing chronic and annoying ear pain. Over all if the GPs you have been able to see are telling you allergies.. say fine.. see the allergist if the allergist says umm.. not an allergic issue then you will get suffled to the ENT for your fix. Knowing how slow the NHS system in England could be I would get on your waiting lists to see the Allergist and ENT now.. it could be a six month wait. I hope not but it could be.

So what your partner has I will not diagnose, but I do know what process he needs to follow to get answers.

I am willing to bet you are dealing with vasomotor/allergic rhinitus that is keeping his immune system in a constant state of irritation. One way to check is to get on and stay on some OTC allergy meds like Claritin.. get a script for zyrtec of allegra.. and get a nasal spray.. Nasonex/Astelin. It will take at leassst two weeks to build up in your partners system and be working at its optimum level for him. If this alleviates the issues.. you are dealing with an allergic cause. If the problem persists you are dealing with a structural blockage and irritation like a deviated septum.. or pollump cluster. And the ENT and surgery are most likely your only option.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 05-06-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
(female)

reenu1985 HB User

Thank you both for your suggestions, they are very much appreciated. i have passed on your advice to my partner and a doctors appointment has been made! hopefully this could be the road to recovery!

Regards

Reenu

Closed Thread