It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
(female)

hoperoad HB User
Exclamation Tonsillectomy (aka pending doom) in 2 days and counting

I'm nervous to say the least. Never had any type of surgery. What a way to end the semester and begin the summer! But if this helps me feel better in any way, it will be well worth it. I'm gonna pray my way through this. Any suggestions on things that will help the pain and time pass quicker? I may be online a lot the next few weeks, since there wont be much else to do...

Old 05-01-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
(male)

TonsilHater HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy (aka pending doom) in 2 days and counting

Hope, take a deep breath and try to relax. I have to say that before I had my tonsillectomy I was terrified that I would be in horrible pain afterward, but that wasn't true. It was not as bad as I envisioned in my mind, but that's not to say that it's a day at Disneyland either! (heh)

I can tell you that this was my second surgery (I had the tonsillectomy done 13 days ago on April 19th, and about a year ago I had surgery to have pins put in my hand I broke waterskiing, oops) and both of them were basically the same as far as the proceedure. The morning of your surgery you will check in with the outpatient surgery center, and then you'll be called to the back and the nurse will give you a gown to put on and a bag to put your clothes in. After that, you'll get your vitals taken, blood pressure, pulse ox, etc, and then they will start an IV in your hand that everything will be injected into from that point on. The IV isn't really a needle, (it IS put in with one however) it's a piece of cylindrical soft plastic that goes into your vein and it really doesn't hurt to have it put in, it's about like having blood drawn.

Then you're done. You can have someone come and talk to you until they are ready to wheel you into surgery. Typically the anesthesiologist will come and speak to you and maybe joke around with you a little, and then he does you the biggest favor in the world and gives you an injection into your IV. You'll feel like you're on cloud 9 at that point, and any nervousness you may have had is pretty much over because honestly you don't care what happens next. I remember when my anesthesiologist took me back to the surgery suite he was singing something that was on the radio and said, "Oh you probably don't want to hear my bad singing." I just waved my hand and said "I don't care what you do." haha, and I meant it.

They'll probably give you an oxygen mask to put on and have you take some deep breaths, and he'll start injecting drugs into your IV that will make you go to sleep, but he'll be talking to you the whole time and then the next thing you know you wake up. Literally, there is no lag time. It's like you're talking one second, and the next you're waking up in the recovery room. I can't tell you how unusual it is to experience. It's almost like nothing happened at all. Of course, you realize quickly that something did happen, because you're throat is a little sore.

The nurses will be quick to give you painkillers into your IV and you wont be in any pain at the hospital. I was joking with my nurses a few minutes after I woke up (granted it wasn't pleasant feeling, but I've had worse sore throats being sick with strep). After you get medicated and coherent they will have you drink some fluids, and give you something like a smashed up popsicle with a spoon to eat. It's pretty soothing, and after I got home I'd make them myself my smashing up a popsicle and adding a little sprite in the cup, almost like a quick slushy.

Then after you go the bathroom on your own, you get dressed and go home. The first few days aren't so bad, the 4th day through the 11th day were the absolute worst for me. I had mine removed via coblation, so I can't speak for any other method though. Anyway, that's the description of the surgery so you can maybe rest a little easier knowing that part. If you have any questions about the recovery that I can answer I'll help you as best I can. My best advice is to get a vaporizer, and a heating pad. I used to wrap the heating pad around the back of my head (ear to ear) when my ear pain was really bad and it helped so much. The ear pain would go away quickly with the heating pad. The vaporizer was for my bedroom at night. It really helped my throat I think, because I didn't have it for the first 6 days or so, and after I bought that my morning pain was far less.

You're going to do great, and after this is over you won't be having any more infections! That was what I kept (keep) telling myself. Keep your chin up, and good luck!

Best Wishes!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
(female)

hoperoad HB User

ok first you may be the nicest person ever! and thanks...i really appreciate the advice. Tomorrow i have finals, then my pre-op appt. soooo... its coming soon...but i will definitely be back on to talk to u when the pain gets bad. And i really appreciate you explaining what happens in the surgery clinic. I think the whole oxygen mask thing freaks me out a little. But you have successfully eased my tensions. so thanks!

Old 05-02-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
(female)

mariemariemarie HB User

hoperoad, i'm doing the exact same thing as you!

my last final is tomorrow morning and then a week from today i'll be recovering from my surgery. i am also extremely nervous, in large part due to reading these threads!

i'd love to know how you are doing and what your progress is like. my operation is may 9th. i'm nottttt looking forward to the 13th through the 20th! sounds like they should be a little hard to handle.

does anyone have any idea what i should be expecting to feel like around the 26th of may, 17 days after my sugery? i'm hoping 2.5 weeks is enough to be back to my normal self since thats my birthday and i'm hoping to be able to celebrate. i know everyone heals differently but i'm trying to get myself mentally prepared.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #5
(male)

TonsilHater HB User

Marie, I am now officially day 14!! Seems like it has gone by fairly quickly looking back, but I can tell you that you'll probably feel pretty good by day 17. Today I feel like I have a mild case of Strep. Just a little bit of irritation in my throat when I swallow. I can't wait till the day I wake up and I have absolutely no pain or irritation whatsoever. I hear it's coming pretty soon.

I'm 29 and I want to go and party with my friends this weekend, but I'm wondering if I am going to be able to. I don't want to do anything to make myself feel worse now that I am feeling normal again.

Good luck!!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
(female)

hoperoad HB User
Smile Re: Tonsillectomy (aka pending doom) in 2 days and counting

Marie, I will let you know for sure! Had my pre-op appt today and i really like my dr. I have to be at the hospital tomorrow at 6:30, but i will, if at all possible, give you a daily progress report. And i know, these threads are addictive to read but may be freaking me out as well. I'm 20, and need to be better by the 18th...i teach a kindergarten class and their graduation program is the 18th! so im crossin my fingers and i'll keep you in my prayers and let you know how tomorrow goes...*gulp*

Old 05-04-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
(female)

hoperoad HB User

I'm out of surgery and back home! It couldn't have gone better...very calm and quick...not sure now what i was worried about. the IV was the worst part..ha..so that tells you how easy it was. I remember them givin me the goofy medicine, and feeling instantly strange. and then i remember a little talking about the mask and for me to take deep breaths. thats it. When i started waking up, it was a very strange feeling. I wanted to be awake, but i just couldn't open my eyes. I remember i started crying to the nurse...ha...not cause it hurt, but cause i was just in a daze. Felt like a very weak sore throat. I had to stay for about an hour after the surgery was over, they made sure i could drink and pee, and let me go. Super nice people, super easy process. I'm home now. I fall asleep about every five, ten minutes, but don't sleep long. I'm in literally zero pain. just the anesthetic hasn't worn off. Bout to take my second dose of medicine. I am thankful for not being in pain now, but i know it's coming. My throat and tongue feel funny, the doctor had to put some stitches in and i can feel them. He went ahead and took my adenoids out too, which im sure they'll do with you, Marie, if you have them. He said thats standard, but doesn't add on to the pain. No nausea, no side effects so far...and no hunger. Just eating ice, and watching tv. Im gonna sleep with a humidifier at night, he said it should help ease the soreness in the morning. I also have been sleeping propped way up. The tickling or weird feeling in the back of my throat, makes me wake up and cough....so vertical sleeping helps. I'm pleased, but ready for the pain to hit! I'll keep you updated! and keep prayin for ya! I hope your tensions are eased though, you'll do great!

Old 05-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #8
(female)

mariemariemarie HB User
Thumbs up Re: Tonsillectomy (aka pending doom) in 2 days and counting

hope, i'm so happy to hear you are doing well so far!! i'm glad everyone at hospital was kind, too.
humidifier sounds like a great idea... i just asked my mom to buy one for me!
i hope the medicine continues to help you a lot. its great you are so optimistic. stay strong like that i'm sure it will help you mentally and physically get through any pain you will have. i'm praying that the rest of your recovery goes well!!! keep me updated if you are able to!!

Old 05-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
(female)

hoperoad HB User

my dear hater of tonsils,
Did your uvula swell pretty badly? Mine is literally laying on my tongue...like its doubled in length. Im tryin not to freak myself out, cause i know then i will gag or something, but should i call my doctor? still feeling good..just a little pain. this dang punching bag is annoying though let me know what you think k

Old 05-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #10
(female)

hoperoad HB User

Swelling has gone down...yay. Dryness has increased, but pain hasn't. I slept ok last night, and then a few hours just now, which was nice. Here are a few things i believe to be keeping me better...
1) Grape slushie from sonic, left in freezer. Letting it sit in the back of my throat feels amazing
2) Ice, and not crushed. just let it sit as far back as it will go
3) I have an ice pack wrapped around my neck...heaven
4) humidifier

Anyways, Im feeling optimistic...i just dont want to think this is the worst of it, cause i know its not. But i've been up and around, talkin to my friends, sleeping pretty well, even got some room temperature soup down...sounds gross, but sweet slushie gets old. I'll let you know as i get worse/better!

Old 05-05-2007, 10:17 PM   #11
(female)

mariemariemarie HB User

yay! keep feeling good!!!

Old 05-07-2007, 01:53 PM   #12
(female)

hoperoad HB User

not so good today, nausea is starting to set it. still cant eat...i've lost 9 pounds already. not so upset about that. ha. the nasty taste in my mouth is whats making me sick though. grosssss. ears hurt a little, everything feels pressured. I'm just keepin an ice pack on, and sleeping A LOT. its only hard when i have to wake up to try to eat so i can take my medicine. ugghh.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #13
(female)

jessica16 HB User

Hey all
I am only 16 and on day 7 of recovery. Honestly i have been alright. Yes the pain at night and as yuor waking up is tremendous but i take my pain med and try and just rest. Scary to say i have lost about 16 pounds because i am an athlete and i have lost so muct muscle from just staying in bed ( and fat from not eating ). the only thing i wish i could do is look in my throat to see weather my devil scabs have come off or not yet but, hoping its normal, i still cant open my mouth wide enough to see antyhing due to my jaw pain. I didnt eat anything besides bites of applesauce untill i found my LIFESAVER yesterday. MISO SOUP. it is honestly amazing. goes down so easily and tastes great. Its funny because as of right now its not even the throat pain thats unbearable. Its the ear pain. i have been drinking some water. but another thing that goes down easily and isnt the old boring water is called VITAMIN WATER. i highly recommend it. the fruit punch and green tea flavors are the BEST !

so goodluck to everyone and just know there is a light at the end of this tunnel. i promise =]

have a good day

JESSICA

Old 05-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #14
(female)

mariemariemarie HB User

Hey all,

so sorry things have gone downhill, Hope. stay strong!

I'm back from the hospital after my surgery this morning. I'm not gonna lie i was in a lot more pain than i expected when i woke up, since i thought i'd just be knocked out by pain meds. now its hurting, but not too bad. i'm waiting to take my first dose of liquid vicodin in a fwe mnutes and i'm hoping that will help. its scary to know that things will be getting worse soon, but i think a positive attitude is really important. i have a fast metabolism and usually eat a lot on a daily basis while maintaining a healthy weight, so not eating is a different! i had some melted ice cream, but it honestly didnt taste like how it does normally and really hurt. i think not eating will be a big challenge for me but at the same time the pain will be my main concern im sure.

hope, i hope you are doing a little better. keep us updated if you have the energy. soon it will be over! ... thats what i keep telling myself to remember these next two weeks at least

Old 05-10-2007, 08:38 AM   #15
(female)

mariemariemarie HB User
Thumbs up Re: Tonsillectomy (aka pending doom) in 2 days and counting

day two now... still feel pretty good. have been taking the liquid vicodin every four hours except last night when i only took one at 11 AM and then 7 AM. i'm trying not to take the max number of dosages so that idont build up tolerance since i know i;ll be needing it a lot more in a day or two. i'm really hoping that it doesnt get too bad, but just with reading hoperoad's and some other people's posts, it seems that i can expect it to get very very bad.
i'm able to eat a good amount... in fact yesterday i ate a huge thing of ice cream and chicken noodle soup, which i also had today, so i dont think i'll actually lose much weight unless the pain does get a lot worse. gatorade is also good to alternate with water since you really feell ike you are getting back energy from it. nighttime is definitely the hardest, but the humidifier helped a lot.

hope, how are you doing? you havent posted ina bit!

Closed Thread